Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spamhaus Releases BGP feed (BGPf) and Botnet C&C list (BGPCC)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spamhaus Releases BGP feed (BGPf) and Botnet C&C list (BGPCC)

marrcomarrco Member
edited June 2012 in Providers

more info here: http://www.spamhaus.org/news/article/683/spamhaus-releases-bgp-feed-bgpf-and-botnet-cc-list-bgpcc

Today the Spamhaus Project announces the release of a new service -- the Spamhaus BGP feed (BGPf). The BGPf serves three Spamhaus lists by using the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP). It is intended to be used primarily by Internet Service Providers (ISPs), web hosting providers, and network service providers (NSPs) in their routers to drop bad traffic at the edge of their networks.

The Spamhaus BGPf is currently serving three lists (communities):

The Spamhaus Don't Route Or Peer List (DROP)
NEW: The Spamhaus extended DROP List (EDROP)
NEW: The Spamhaus Botnet C&C List (BGPCC)

While the Spamhaus DROP list is already widely known and used, the EDROP and BGPCC lists are new. Spamhaus has just launched these lists as of today. You can find links to the listing policies and FAQ pages for each of these lists at the end of this article.

[...]

Comments

• subigosubigo Member

Seriously, fuck Spamhaus.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • Yes, sure, i will load some feed automatically in my core router, without checking

:')

• marrcomarrco Member

fwiw i do use at my $dayjob a few of their lists for more than 10 years, without checking. Can't tell about this specific service (it's new), but usually Spamhaus provide very reliable and valuable services. YMMV

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I can confirm, also, the good service spamhouse does for me.
    Been using for years and they are the primary choice, tho not exclusively used. With the kind of lusers I have (those that forward chain mails looking for "rare" blood for universal receivers AB4+, for example), spam has been at tolerable levels with probably less than 1% false positives sorted in spam folders.
    I was looking for a service like botnet lists, however, BGP is a different animal and I wouldnt start DROP-ing, this could seriously break stuff, especially for VPS providers, because it can produce misterious fails and then would be a need for support and stuff, certainly more harm than good, even if the lists are good and settings conservative.
    Wouldn't hurt to look in it and check for some sure thing ranges, but that can be usually obtained elsewhere.
    M

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@marrco said: fwiw i do use at my $dayjob a few of their lists for more than 10 years, without checking.

Spamhaus will list network over emotional reasons, never a good thing.

• @miTgiB said: Spamhaus will list network over emotional reasons, never a good thing.

Yes, i remember when they listed nic.at (registrar of .at, Austria) for not terminating a few .at domains used by spammers (which at this time was illegal in Austria, even if it was totally fake data) - Spamhaus is annoying and too emotional, i would never implement their DROP list (and hell no, i'd never touch BGPCC or even EDROP).

• DerekDerek Member

Well, I guess the BGPCC Lists is going to list everyone now :/.