Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS.NET FAKE CLOUD !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS.NET FAKE CLOUD !

I got one account on VPS.NET since 3 months. The node where my server is went down several times. I contacted VPS.Net and everytime they told me they have problems with the particular node where my server is. I understand that but that means the whole concept of cloud is not working on VPS.NET because its not possibile to have my website down, my server should be on many servers, when one node fails, my server should run from another locations which it didn't. This happen not once but several times.

Comments

• blackblack Member
    edited July 2014

The definition of cloud varies, it's just a marketing term. Sometimes, HA isn't included.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Raymii
  • ChuckChuck Member

Data transfer (TB): 6?

• There is no such thing as cloud. :)

• alexhalexh Member

@sirmbhe said:
    There is no such thing as cloud. :)

The definition is fairly broad (according to Wikipedia) but it does exist:

Cloud computing is the delivery of computing as a service rather than a product, whereby shared resources, software, and information are provided to computers and other devices as a utility (like the electricity grid) over a network (typically the Internet). Clouds can be classified as public, private or hybrid.

• Got it.

• Cloud server doesn't means that the server hosted at cloud!

• £15/mo for 512MB RAM o.O just buy 5-10 LEBs and set up your own failsafe

• VPS.net has been washed up for quite some time now, their idea of a cloud is letting you scale instantly and move between locations.

And let's not forget their 100% failproof san's..that go down weekly.

• J1021J1021 Member

This has been the case for years. I haven't used them personally but have read a ton of reviews from people who have had a similar experience to yourself.

I've used the 'self healing' VPS product that UK2 offer (VPS.NET is owned by UK2 Group) and they have similar issues with their SAN storage.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Fake Cloud. Lol

Manager of VPS.net is ex-employe of ThrustVPS.

• @DewlanceVPS - its actually worse than that - he was the owner of ThrustVPS and before then VAServ (the one where all the VPS's get wiped) - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/10/vaserv_follow_up/

• One of the managers at UK2 Group (Ditlev Bredahl) is also CEO at OnApp.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited July 2014

@black said:
    The definition of cloud varies, it's just a marketing term. Sometimes, HA isn't included.

Anything which doesn't have HA & SAN is simply a VPS, whoever is marketing it as "Cloud Server" is lying to fool & attract customers. A cloud server must have true cloud features, not just an API.

Thanked by 1orak
  • Kinda weird that they aren't using a SAN. Right now all you have is an overpriced vps by the sounds of it.

For our cloud when we were Beta Testing. We tested pushing 100 cloud vms to one node to rely on and hot power it off. All it took 2.5 seconds for all vm's to confirm failover to other nodes. No downtime was visible or reported on any of them. :)

• rds100rds100 Member

They were using SAN in the past and had a lot of SAN related failures and downtimes. Don't know if this changed.

• wychwych Member

If it involves ThrustVPS steer clear.

• blackblack Member

@K2Bytes said:
    Anything which doesn't have HA & SAN is simply VPS, whoever is marketing it as "Cloud Server" is lying to fool & attract customers. A cloud server must have true cloud features, not just an API.

That's why you have to read the fine print carefully. Like I said, it's just a marketing term.

• Most hosts who advertise 'cloud' aren't real cloud type setups, the only company I've come across so far who offer the type of cloud setups that you've described would be OVH Cloud (including their VPS). It would be interesting to know how many other 'cloud' providers there are with automatic failover.

• WSCallum said: t would be interesting to know how many other 'cloud' providers there are with automatic failover.

Seflow/Domflow, Iwstack, Amazon, X.is, KT Cloud....

• amazon cloud is best kinda for paid service

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Around 5-6 years ago I was using VPS.NET for a shared server.

Their idea of redundancy is they have a SAN in the same room ready to build if something goes wrong.

James

• They say otherwise.

• colacola Member

The only real Cloud i can say i used and it is the real deal.. was at DomFlow (SeFlow). They have real HA IaaS and SAN storage DDoS Protection and so on..

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@infolink said:
    One of the managers at UK2 Group (Ditlev Bredahl) is also CEO at OnApp.

Just wanted to highlight that this is not the case :)
    I was CEO of UK2Group/VPS.net when we sold it to Lloyds (TC link) - but have been out of UK2 since then.

UK2 (and VPS.net) are now clients of OnApp like thousands of other service providers.

:)
    D

• Sounds about as cloud as DigitalOcean

• dnwkdnwk Member

Rus Foster

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • @dnwk said:
    Rus Foster

Everyone should know that name, and run from it.

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • @dnwk said:
    Rus Foster

This.

• I can't comment on VPS.NET current setup, but never heard of them going away from SAN killing off redundancy at the node, recovery of a VM into another node, with either a stand-alone SAN or OnApp integrated storage is built-in into OnApp itself, so 'auto-healing' as sometime it's called is part of the OnApp Cloud product and there are literally 1000's of clouds using it.

• I asked about 2 weeks back whether they employed local or SAN storage and I was told local.