Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SecureDragon - I Love 'em
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SecureDragon - I Love 'em

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited June 2012 in General

I've been an SD customer for a little while now and have to say it's been very nice to watch this company grow.

In the last few months, they have:

• executed a flawless DC move
  • branched out into KVM
  • added ipv6
  • doubled the bandwidth on their backup VPSes (I love this)
  • rolled out some anti-DDOS improvements with a cool name
  • started working on internal private IP LAN (I also love this - makes me want to get more VPSes there because they can talk to each other without consuming bandwidth)

I didn't know they offered a free VPS backup (most unmanaged providers do not offer any backup)...now they've switched to an optional 50-cent-a-month weekly VPS backup which is still a great deal.

I have one of their 200GB backup plans (which now comes with 1600GB bandwidth) and love it. I admit to being quite obsessive about backups and this VPS meets my needs very nicely. I also have a tiny OvZ mini-LEB and will probably add more in the future as I retired other systems. Over time I've been consolidating my far-flung VPS empire down to a few high quality providers and SD is definitely in the mix.

Finally, I'd like to say that SD is one of the best companies I've worked with concerning communications. They regularly send announcements and updates. I probably get more informational mail from them than for all other providers combined and that is really awesome. I don't mean they're spammy - it's once every other week on average probably - but it's nice to hear regularly what they're up to and to be notified well in advance of maintenance.

No real point to this post except to say "Good work @KuJoe!" - SD has definitely earned a recommendation on vpsadvice.com.

Thanked by 1marrco

Comments

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited June 2012

http://uptime.freevps.us/535805/2012/06

The past 2 weeks have been great. 93% uptime. (but it was my most stable VPS before this month) Stupid Xen with it's stupid security holes with 64 bit guests on Intel CPUs.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

they are constantly improving. my next wish list is that backup is accessible, so that i can backup my backup =)

• LAKidLAKid Member

You love KuJoe? Must be a relative.
    did he ask you to post such?
    how much did he give you?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@dmmcintyre3 why are there downtimes that much? are those due to network problems?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

+1 on that @raindog308

@LAKid you trolling much?

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited June 2012

@jcaleb node reboots and for some reason my vps doesn't come back up when the node reboots, but solus thinks it's online. Hitting the reboot button fixes it and the console is blank when I connect to it before rebooting. I have no idea why it won't boot back up after the node reboots.

But right now, the network is down on the VPS.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LAKid said: did he ask you to post such?

how much did he give you?

Alas, he doesn't even have an affiliate program.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@dmmcintyre3 may i ask more questions to you through PM regarding uptime?

• yomeroyomero Member

@MikHo said: @LAKid you trolling much?

Yes, he is an idiot n_n

• circuscircus Member

@jcaleb, just read their announcements page, June is a bad month :(

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@yomero said: he is an idiot n_n

yeap, I haven't seen a post of him making a good argument, he just trolls..

and yeah @LAKid , BuyVM and SD send me money if I post good things to them, too.

• NightNight Member

@jcaleb My OVZ has had almost perfect uptime with them (apart from last month at 99.5% uptime due to a few small network hiccups that KuJoe is still ironing out). Xen PV servers seem to be having a kernel issue, which might be why @dmmcintyre3 's vps is down.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • sounds like securedragon rocks, very cool!

Thanked by 1Night
  • lumaluma Member

Not doing so well with Xen today though :(
    and the CPU's in these nodes are getting older now.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

what about kujoe offer his xen customers to be moved to kvm. so that he can discontinue his xen service.

• marrcomarrco Member

KuJoe's SecureDragon is definitely worth more votes than he got in the Q2 2012 top providers poll. Being European one East coast north american LEB provider is all i need. And i am so satisfied with SD i just renewed the oldest of my 2 (one OVZ and one XEN) annual VPS i have with them. So after a little more than one year i still recommend SD if you need a good box on the US east coast.

That said, he did a few mistakes too, but was prompt to fix, always honest in telling when things didn't work and proved he can work and offer support like a pro, not like a rookie in this field. Including being able to admit wrong hw/sw choices and promptly spending money to buy different hardware and software solutions. I don't think he earned a lot of money this first year, but was able to learn and grow a strong reputation for his brand. Great job!

@KuJoe, you forgot to prepare LEB/LET special offer for your first birthday!

Thanked by 2djvdorp Night
  • @jcaleb said: what about kujoe offer his xen customers to be moved to kvm. so that he can discontinue his xen service.

I feel that too :P

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I want to apologize for my lack of communication here and for the 19+ hour outage for both of our Xen PV nodes. The internet is out at my house so I've been working at the DC most of the time during this issue. After I hit the 28th hour mark without sleep I went home where I passed out for 4 hours before driving back to the DC at 3AM this morning.

All Xen PV VPSs should be online now although being held together with a lot of virtual duct tape and band-aids. I've updated our announcements and will post more info later after we've discussed this thoroughly.

I didn't get to read all of the posts here but I want to thank those of you who have been supportive of us since the beginning and continue to stand by us even during times like this where emotions are normally at their peak.

Funny enough, the 10th was our official 1 year anniversary in business. What a great way to celebrate that accomplishment. :X

I'm still at the DC now and probably have a parking ticket for parking illegally (it was 3AM so I didn't expect to be here that long) so I'm going to head out and will post more later. :)

• That's some good dedication @KuJoe :)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Secure Dragon service and specially comunication are simply awesome. Thanks @KuJoe for all the hard work this night and try to have a good day when you wake up ;)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

i thought SD is almost 2 years old?

• nabonabo Member

@luma said: and the CPU's in these nodes are getting older now.

Is the CPU really that important for you? I mean AFAIK you never ordered a VPS with a specific CPU and, if, you still have that specific CPU. At least for me, the CPU is the least important thing for a LEB VPS. I'm much more interested in space, bandwidth, ram, network, price and support. And @KuJoe is doing quite fine with that.

• @KuJoe that is true dedicated working man, props for this!!

• @jcaleb said: what about kujoe offer his xen customers to be moved to kvm. so that he can discontinue his xen service.

This is what the newsletter about it stated by the way:

Xen PV VPSs
    At this time we plan on continuing to offer Xen PV VPSs on the two current nodes we have now but we have no plans of adding additional Xen PV nodes so once the current two are filled, we will stop taking orders. Xen PV clients will be able to keep their Xen PV nodes for as long as they wish and there will be no changes to our Xen PV plans/pricing.

Alternatively, some Xen PV clients have expressed interest in upgrading to KVM so we will offer those clients first access to our KVM plans before we release them publicly. If you wish to secure one of the plans for yourself please open a ticket with our Sales department and we will provide you with the order link prior to public release. Originally we were planning on price matching or offering discounts for current Xen PV clients but since we will not be touching our Xen PV nodes this is no longer the case and we apologize for those who received this information.

(for those missing the mail)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@djvdorp maybe kujoe push it more aggressively? btw, is it because KVM is easier to monitor than xen? or is it xen is more problematic? because last night i got an email from another provider (from UK) that our xen node has a problem and need some troubleshooting.

• BoGsBoGs Member

Been there close to six months, some downtime is expected. Who sells you 100% you might want to read SLA :) awesome stuff on the communication, that to me is number one.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb said: btw, is it because KVM is easier to monitor than xen? or is it xen is more problematic?

So far both. KVM is easier to monitor for abuse and so far has been effortless to manage. We haven't had any issues with KVM like we have Xen but we haven't been using KVM that long so hopefully it stays this way. :)

/me knocks on wood.