Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS for screen+irssi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS for screen+irssi

D4X69D4X69 Member
edited July 2014 in Requests

I'm looking for a server to use for the sole purpose of running irssi in screen. I change (main) providers too often, and I'm tired of having to swap all my irssi-related things over.

Tentative requirements:
32-64MB RAM with equivalent swap
5GB HDD
50GB Bandwidth @ 100Mbps
Prefer Chicagoland area
1 ipv4 (this requirement is in no way tentative)

Prefer to have, but not required:
1Gbps port speed
1 ipv6
Optional or included DDoS protection/mitigation

Support is not necessary.

Common comments, and their answers:
Just get a shell account - No. Shared IPs fail.
I'll give you a shell account with your own IP on my server - So you can creep on my irssi session? Nothx.
OVH - No. Just no.
32mb.club - I have 0 bitcoins, and I plan on mining/purchasing 0 bitcoins in the next year.
xvmlabs.com - ToS disallows IRC clients, sadly. :(

Ideally, what I'm looking for is a reputable provider who is willing to configure a custom VPS for me - I know that's a very small likelihood, but I can hope, can't I?

I think that's all the information I have at this time...

Comments

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

https://securedragon.net/openvz.php

Best vps for irc I ever had

Thanked by 2D4X69 Raymii
  • Seriously? For that you need a VPS. I can invite you to insomnia247.nl shell service. PM me.

• D4X69D4X69 Member
    edited July 2014

@BlueVM: The KVM I had with you guys had pretty sub-standard disk speed, but I'm willing to ignore that for your prices. I'm going to shop around a bit more, but so far it looks like you're the top contender.

@clouds4india: Your billing portal fails. Upon submitting the ticket, I got redirected to a blank-as-hell page.

@MikHo: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into them.

@SandwichBagGhost: l2reed

@D4X69 said:

MikHo: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into them.

One of the few providers I've had service with for more then 2 years in a row. Could be 3 years. :) it is that good.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

BuyVM, any of their cheap yearly low-mem plans will suffice more than enough (think ZNC). Right now BuyVM has 3 pairs of 128MB ones in stock, grab one quickly :D

• D4X69D4X69 Member

I put in quote requests to my various providers. Does anyone know of a provider who can beat $13.50/yr (without it being shite service?)

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited July 2014

Hi,

Have a perfect plan for you.

5GB HDD

128MB dedicated ram

128MB vSwap

150GB Bandwidth

IPv4 + 1vCore

£1.50 / mo - - Order Now

Need IPv6? 2 are assigned on request!

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2014

64MB RAM

64MB vSwap

1 vCPU Cores at 2.2Ghz (Fair Share)

5GB Disk space

400 GB Bandwidth

1Gbit uplink

1x IPv4 address

16 x IPv6 Addresses

OpenVZ/SolusVM

$8.50/y

https://my.hostus.us/cart.php?a=add&pid=67

search for 'HostUS Review' on LET.

Alexander

• D4X69D4X69 Member
    edited July 2014

@MSPNick: Sorry, I've a better offer elsewhere.

@AlexanderM: I used my google-fu to stalk your company. I couldn't find a single bad review. However, same as above, I've a better offer elsewhere. I will be keeping you in mind though, I'll probably add you to my list of servers I've been getting for the sole purpose of comparisons. :3

• @D4X69 said:
    I'm looking for a server to use for the sole purpose of running irssi in screen.

I've used a Ramnode $15 per year VPS for this purpose for a couple of years.

Rock solid, works exactly how it should.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2014

@D4X69 said:
    clouds4india: Your billing portal fails. Upon submitting the ticket, I got redirected to a blank-as-hell page.

ill check it asap thanks for reporting , meanwhile you can contact us on [email protected]

• iniz $7/year

• D4X69D4X69 Member

@clouds4india: Emailed.

@lelewku: I see no such plan.

• holy crap, theyre out of stock. @iniz

• RaymiiRaymii Member

+1 for securedragon. They're good. Also, Low End Spirit.

@D4X69 said:
    I put in quote requests to my various providers. Does anyone know of a provider who can beat $13.50/yr (without it being shite service?)

If you lower your specs just a bit SecureDragon has a 9.99/year package.

@Raymii said:
    +1 for securedragon. They're good. Also, Low End Spirit.

LES is in Dallas and has a shared ipv4.

• D4X69D4X69 Member

I considered LES, but, as mentioned, ipv4 is shared, and not all the networks I use support ipv6.

SecureDragon was considered, but I already have offers that are better.

One might ask, if I already have such great offers, why bother continue looking?

Answer: Because I'm not purchasing until Friday, so why not keep asking for suggestions until then? Plus, I pinch pennies so hard, I could re-wire my christmas tree for 5 cents.

D4X69 said: SecureDragon was considered, but I already have offers that are better.

Better or cheaper?
    Sometimes cheaper will give you more headaches

• @D4X69 said:
    I considered LES, but, as mentioned, ipv4 is shared, and not all the networks I use support ipv6.

SecureDragon was considered, but I already have offers that are better.

One might ask, if I already have such great offers, why bother continue looking?

Answer: Because I'm not purchasing until Friday, so why not keep asking for suggestions until then? Plus, I pinch pennies so hard, I could re-wire my christmas tree for 5 cents.

Better in? More resources?

• D4X69D4X69 Member
    edited July 2014

When I say better, I mean better price-per-specs ratio. For instance, these are the 3 offers that I consider to be the best so far:

OpenVZ

128MB RAM

(Wasn't told a specific vSwap, but I'm sure Alex will let me pick a reasonable number)

5GB SSD

500GB @ 1Gbps

1 IPv4

IPv6 included

$13.50 per year.

OpenVZ

128MB RAM

64MB vSwap

12GB SSD

500GB @ 1Gbps

1 ipv4

16 ipv6

$13 per year

KVM

192MB RAM

8GB HW RAID10

150GB @ 100Mbps

1 ipv4

$15 per year

All of these are great offers, and I know I seem kind of greedy looking for more, but we all love saving money, right?