Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A couple of questions and asking for opinions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A couple of questions and asking for opinions

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
edited June 2012 in General

Hey guys.

Well, according to my first domain whois, we should have celebrated our 1-st aniversary a month ago, however I desided to postpone that celebrations/promotions to the date of our first sale (or in other words - when the site got officially opened for sales). Anyway, the past months, I have been reading over here, getting criticism from this forums, from different people, writing it down. Was taking notes, creating todo lists and things to get resolved, improved and added to the services, as everything will be added near that date. Anyway, enough with this, got a couple of questions, hopefully someone can help me with that.

1. Xen or KVM (currently offering only ovz). I am planning to release a small batch of low-priced servers in a different virtualization tech (either KVM or Xen). I have been doing tests with KVM the past 3 weeks and I kind of tend to use that. But asking for a second opinion would never hurt.
  2. About locations - currently, I offer servers in Seattle, west coast. Which locations are prefered for a new node (with the mentioned aboce virtualization technology)? I have a choice between East and West coast now. Got a couple of good offers for some good hardware and can choose between East and West coast. Which one would be better and which one would you prefer (looking for personal opinions).
  3. Logo design - I am getting the main website redesigned completly, as my current one is awfull, as it was stated before on LET. Anyway, this means a new logo/header as well. Do you have any experience with any designing company's that can create something simple and stylish for a reasonable price. I have actually seen a suggestion and a link somewhere over here, but I can't seem to find it.
  4. Site proof-reading. As you can see, English is not my native language and I need proof-reading service for the whole new redesigned website. I have previously attempted to work with a couple of ''freelancers'', which did not end up good at all, so if you ever had experience with someone, or a company, please let me know. You would save me a lot of trouble in looking for something that would actually give some results :P
  5. About the hardware. With my current RAID setup on my nodes, I am getting poor IO performance on filled up node, so I will slowly be migrating all my users to RAID 10 servers. However, my question is regarding the raid controller - can you suggest specific models that you are using and are good and about the HDD's theirself. Should I be going with 4x500 or 4x1TB HDDs. Sharing some personal experience (as the hardware of your kvm/xen nodes) would be perfect.

Oh and if you happen to be selling hardware or have seen some nice offers somewhere, shoot me a PM. I am seriouslly interested in investing in own hardware.

Thanks for reading and eventually answering :P. I realise that half of the things are not related to LEB, however I could use some advice and some opinions on the things asked. Even personal experience shared, would help me learn. And I apologise for my English, as it is probably hard to read/understand on some places.

Regards,
Alexander

Comments

• TazTaz Member

3ware controllers are pretty good for raid. Plus sas will give better io than sata.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jack said: Limestonenetworks offer some pretty nice deals now ie $207 for a 16GB E3-1270 with RAID10 4x500GB Disk and 29 IP's. that location is Dallas texas.

Their BW is far too expensive. For 100mbps, they charge 450$. The deals are nice, though.

@Jack said: yea I guess , it's unmetered incoming I have the same type of deal with Snelserver and only use 3TB/mo

I am currently using <6TB for all my servers, however I prefer having some extra, than paying huge overusage fees.

• TazTaz Member

Knock me, I have some servers sitting around. 4x1tb Sata3, e3-1230, 16/32 gig ram. I can throw 100mbps unmetered and /29 free+ more if required for well below 300.

• TazTaz Member

Location Dallas, TX.

Ah, and I forgot one of the questions:
    We are looking for a company to do a security audit check of our website. Due the recent leaks of WHMCS, I started looking for a company to check the security of our webserver and website itself. I even asked somewhere in here, in a thread and got my answer, I think the answer was from @Francisco , however I can't find it anymore

Damn, was really hoping that I would get some more responses :P

• @LiquidHost said: Due the recent leaks of WHMCS, I started looking for a company to check the security of our webserver and website itself. I even asked somewhere in here, in a thread and got my answer, I think the answer was from @Francisco , however I can't find it anymore

@vld has the answer you require; his company specializes in security testing.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    1. Xen or KVM - KVM
    2. About locations - Los Angeles. Don't know what coast that is.
    3. Logo Design - freelancer ok with you? but i believe don't worry much about logo
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

LA is west coast @jcaleb >.>

I'd personally prefer east coast or europe but there isn't that much demand for east coast from what I've heard.

@Infinity said: I'd personally prefer east coast or europe but there isn't that much demand for east coast from what I've heard.

I am getting daily requests for east coast, which is a bit weird to me as well, as I heard that west coast is more prefered. I actually get pings <60-70ms to east coast with my current provider, coutning I do not have that good network mix, which I belive is acceptable.

Anyway, @Infinity , do you think I have a chance of getting some special offers getting listed on LEB for our 1st anniversary. I am planning in getting some great deals for LEB and LET only and I got some more plans, related to this community as well (promotions/discounts/special boxes). However I know that there is huge demand and probably tens of emails are arriving on daily basis and not sure that we would be able to get listed. What would you say about that - do we have a chance to getting some interesting offers listed in ~1month?

• DamianDamian Member

@LiquidHost said: Site proof-reading.

I'd be willing to trade proof-reading for a low-spec OVZ VPS from you.

• PhilPhil Member

+1 for KVM.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Infinity said: LA is west coast @jcaleb >.>

yes i remember it now thanks... kobe bryant appears in western conference finals from time to time

@Damian - I will make sure I hit you up in a couple of days, I will upload to a seperate dir the website.

Also, it is desided - I will be entering KVM virtualization bussiness. Starting off with one node with limited spots (most likely will keep it to LEB/LET only) and expand with more boxes in the time, as I am afraid that something might go wrong if I rush it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If you havent already done it, send an email to leb (check contact page for email address)

Include date you wish to features and as much info possible about the package and your company.

then we should be able to get posted on LEB.

Well, as I am not done with all the features yet and got a lot mroe on my TODO list for the following month, I have not yet emailed LEB. I thought that I cna email them 1-2 weeks prior the release itself? Or should I do it now?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

The earlier the better, more likely your offer would be posted on the day you wanted

• @LiquidHost On the design front, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to find quality designs / work from a reasonably priced freelancer or company.

I must say that, in our recent development, we have put our work out to one of my ex-colleagues ventures: Versobit (http://versobit.com). While their own full site is still being finished off - they have been working with us on developing our new image and getting all the designs for our in-house control panel ready.

They offer an amazing price and quality far higher than any other we've seen for around the same budget.

So, you shouldn't have anything to fear if you believe they're reputable - and have faith in their work, and if you don't - go and give Rylea at VersoBit an email, I'm sure he can work something out with you.

As to your other inquiries, without being at risk of looking like a big advertisement, rather than a personal recommendation;

Personally I prefer KVM to Xen - my previous experiences with Xen from the LEB providers have been rather slow, where KVM has usually been pretty solid. Also, having been in the position of "KVM or Xen" not so long ago, I personally have found KVM a better platform to work with.

I would jump and say Europe for a new location - but if that's not where you're heading, then I would agree with spanning out to what there's demand for, and for that - you've just got to feel the water for your audience (which isn't me right now).

Your quality of written English seems pretty good to me from your posts so far - certainly better than some of the providers we've seen pass through LET/B, so I would imagine your site should be fairly well written from the outset if you maintain the same aptitude as you do when writing here. Other than that, I'm sure you'll find some willing participants to read it over for you.

All the best from me - certainly - and it seems like you're off to a great start with intuitive research.

LR

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited June 2012

KVM and in the west coast definitely.

As for the logo, as long as it's not a horse, stallion or gay/cheerful pony that'll be fine.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@cosmicgate said: horse, stallion or gay/cheerful pony that'll be fine.

another butthurt haha

@123COM
    Thank you for your comment. I have taken in cosnideration everything that you've said and it is apreciated :) .

Looking for more opinions/suggestions as well.

If all goes as planned, I will release 15 beta testing free KVM machines in around 72 hours for users from LET/LEB to test and play with.

@Jack said: Save one for me!:)

Sure, I will save one for you Jack :)