Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using..?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using..?

AH-DominicAH-Dominic Member
edited June 2012 in General

Hi

Is anyone using the following providers (I do but just want to hear opinions) and what do you think of them?
1) Linode
2) ImmediateVPS/LondonVPS
3) BHost
4) KillerIO (soon to be ready)

Thanks

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Except Linode, I haven't heard about the rest.

• I've use Linode, never had an issue.

I've used BHost, apart from one bit of downtime a few months ago, no issues.

• @LiquidHost said: Except Linode, I haven't heard about the rest.

Okay, have you had any experience with Linode yourself?

• @Daniel said: I've use Linode, never had an issue.

I've used BHost, apart from one bit of downtime a few months ago, no issues.

Good to see you like both too :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Linode is fine if you don't get any sort of DDoS.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Linode is fine if you don't get any sort of DDoS.

Well, I'm not planning to, as it only runs a personal site. I love there support though - had a response in 30 seconds before. Max 15 mins!

• @Francisco said: Linode is fine if you don't get any sort of DDoS.

Francisco

And if you don't mind paying premium prizes :P

• @djvdorp said: And if you don't mind paying premium prizes :P

For a premium service...You get what you pay for. They use Xen virtualization which cannot be oversold (unless modded). Xen is usually expensive, due to that. They also use top quality hardware I would expect and offer a premium service.

What do you expect? Premium is not as cheap as peanuts.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@Francisco said: Linode is fine if you don't get any sort of DDoS.

Linode seem a bit nicer if you get DDoSed and you put your VPS in London.

My VPS was under attack, they null routed and were fine about it. My friend had a Linode in Texas and as soon as they were a target they were suspended.

I could of just been lucky.

• @dominicl said: What do you expect? Premium is not as cheap as peanuts.

When you compare some company's prices ($50 for 512!), it makes Linode look cheap.

• @Daniel said: When you compare some company's prices ($50 for 512!), it makes Linode look cheap.

True stuff.

@dominicl said: They use Xen virtualization which cannot be oversold

Not really true. As far as I know, the newer xen kernel's allow overselling without modding. I have never tried it myself, thats what I read a while back (a couple of months ago). Just solus does not allow it, that is the only reason that most of the hosts do not oversell it.

Also, you can never be sure that you won't be targeted for a DDoS. Nooen is really safe. Most of the times, the attacks do have a reason, but I have seen just random attacks. And Linode tends to nullroute and suspend even for the smallest attacks.

• @dominicl said: For a premium service...You get what you pay for. They use Xen virtualization which cannot be oversold (unless modded). Xen is usually expensive, due to that. They also use top quality hardware I would expect and offer a premium service.

What do you expect? Premium is not as cheap as peanuts.

You are right about this. Although I think it is mostly the premium service, as there are plenty other reputable Xen hosts (with A hardware) for a little less. But support/service is what costs the most I think :)

• @djvdorp said: But support/service is what costs the most I think

Agreed and Linodes is amazing :)

@LiquidHost said: Not really true. (......)

Ahh, didn't know that!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@LiquidHost said: Also, you can never be sure that you won't be targeted for a DDoS. Nooen is really safe. Most of the times, the attacks do have a reason, but I have seen just random attacks. And Linode tends to nullroute and suspend even for the smallest attacks.

Very true.

I had a client signup the other day that got flooded for no reason at all. She runs some small personal blog yet got 400Mbit UDP floods out of no where at linode and is now moving/moved to us because of it.

Francisco

@Francisco said: Very true.

I had a client signup the other day that got flooded for no reason at all. She runs some small personal blog yet got 400Mbit UDP floods out of no where at linode and is now moving/moved to us because of it.

Francisco

Well, it is annoying paying ~50$ monthly for a medium sized VM and getting kicked for <1gbps random DDoS comming from a kid with a 5$ booter. Personally, I do not have the nerve to switch between providers on monthly basis, or at this case probably less than a month.
    Ah well, atleast UDP attacks are easy to block.

Anyway, a lil bit offtopyc - how big floods can you handle through the awknet's filtered IPs? I can't get them to answer my quote's requests, I am starting to think my emails end up in their spam folder for some reason, lol -.-

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Linode is excellent. Their setup affords some options not available with most providers, such as carving up your disks the way you want and mounting/unmounting disk partitions (i.e., you can create a disk partition, mount it, unmount it, keep it for use as needed, etc.) Linode also is global.

Performance is excellent and support is great.

I wish I could afford them.

For a similar experience, look at 6sync. Similar pricing with double the bandwidth and slightly better performance, but a smaller team and only in New York.

I discuss both on my site (vpsadvice.com).

• Linode start at about $20 per mo so not that bad, but yep they are amazing!