Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Differences between Pentium G and Core I3/I5?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Differences between Pentium G and Core I3/I5?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited June 2012 in Help

Just curious, what are the advantage and disadvantage of these two families of CPUs?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    Atom - low end, low power, low frequencies
    Celeron - low lend - 1-2 cores, no HT, lower frequencies
    Pentium - low end - 2 cores, no HT, higher frequencies
    i3 - mid range, 2 cores and HT, higher frequencies
    i5 - mid range, 4 cores, no HT, higher frequencies
    i7 - high end, 4 cores and HT and high frequencies

Found on: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=84777b98c1a3c2a7b576651c201dafa2&t=1694221

Thanked by 3Amfy zhuanyi taipres
  • so for to build some VPS out of a dedi, would you recommend PentiumD as the CPU or i3?

• Uhh. Neither.

But i3, if there was no other option.

• klikliklikli Member

@zhuanyi said: PentiumD

I wonder how many years ago is that CPU? 5 years?

• DamianDamian Member

@zhuanyi said: so for to build some VPS out of a dedi, would you recommend PentiumD as the CPU or i3?

AMD FX series, if you need to use a desktop processor. Otherwise, as @DimeCadmium said, neither...

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited June 2012

@zhuanyi said: PentiumD

Pentium Ds were Pentium 4-based. While they were awesome at the time, these days you should stay far, far away. The high clocks are deceiving as the architecture provides far less performance per clock cycle than a modern CPU (like, more than 50% less) and they run hot and suck power.

• @klikli said: PentiumD

Netburst, long pipelines, silly heat, silly power

Stay away!

• i still got a P4 here lol

• @joodle said: i still got a P4 here lol

There is a difference of still having and newly acquiring ;)

Thanked by 1MrDOS
  • lumaluma Member

The Op is asking about the Pentium G and not the D.

The G is Sandy Bridge just like the I3 (well Ivy bridge soon)

I believe the I3 has HT but the G does not. I think the G is just dual core while the I3 has HT, I could be wrong though.

neither is good for VPS. they are extremely low end Desktop cpu's. If you HAVE To use a desktop cpu than at least use the I7 but why not look at the E3's and some ECC Ram?

if you can't afford the E3's perhaps a VPS company is not the right choice for you right now.

Thanked by 1jh
  • nabonabo Member

@luma said: I believe the I3 has HT but the G does not. I think the G is just dual core while the I3 has HT, I could be wrong though.

Yes.

• rds100rds100 Member

I think the G* CPUs are the same piece of silicon as the i3, with some features disabled, so they can sell it cheaper. Also this is a way for intel to use the silicon dies with some defects - i.e. if the die has one core or some cache memory defective - they disable it and sell it as a lower cost G* series CPU.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100 said: I think the G* CPUs are the same piece of silicon as the i3, with some features disabled, so they can sell it cheaper. Also this is a way for intel to use the silicon dies with some defects - i.e. if the die has one core or some cache memory defective - they disable it and sell it as a lower cost G* series CPU.

Was just about to write the same.

None of the mentioned CPU's are suitable for VPS hosting. However, I think the newest i7's have quite good performance.

• LOL, interesting how providers here are scared of new competitors :)

But nope, my knowledge level and skill level is faaaaaar below what is required to run a VPS company, I just want to get a dedi and have my own little VPS testbed

So no worries, I am not another summer host

• And jokes aside, thanks everyone for your input

• KairusKairus Member
    edited June 2012

@zhuanyi said: LOL, interesting how providers here are scared of new competitors :)

Yeah, that's not the reason. ;p

• THe celeron is like the cheaper version of the same CPU.

For example the Celeron D was the same as the P4 but with less cache and features disabled.

• Why are you even looking at a Pentium D? :/

• lumaluma Member

@zhuanyi said: But nope, my knowledge level and skill level is faaaaaar below what is required to run a VPS company, I just want to get a dedi and have my own little VPS testbed

oh yeah for a testbed these would be just fine. I actually have a server with a G in it and at first I figured ugh this will suck but it did not take long to grow on me, the thing is like the little cpu that could. It just works, its actually very zippy and snappy and it has never given me any problems.

I also use plenty of I3's at the office and same thing for those, it is certainly not a I7 quad but for the price they are hard to beat unless you need the extra cache and extra cores of the I7's

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@bijan588 said: Why are you even looking at a Pentium D? :/

He is not. He is looking at a Pentium G. And I guess most posters haven't even read any test on a recent Pentium G, as the CPU is fairly fine and even doing better than a i3 in terms of gaming/htpc by having a look at its economic value. ;-) Then again, I'm not talking about VPS-hosting. But I doubt that this CPU will be bad for VPS-hosting your own XEN-PV domX.

@nabo said: But I doubt that this CPU will be bad for VPS-hosting your own XEN-PV domX.

Actually, I can bet that he is going to get some really poor performance. I admit I have not read any reviews, however I doubth that it would beat sandy bridge i3 CPU.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@LiquidHost said: I admit I have not read any reviews, however I doubth that it would beat sandy bridge i3 CPU.

For the half of the price I would consider that result being quite fine (nb: Pentium G is Sandy Bridge, too):

Still, according to PCMark7, my CPU in my laptop is twice as powerfull as the pentium G. It is good for office use, however we are talking about virtualization of it in here. Don't think he would get good results at all. Even if he intends to be using it for himself only.

• lumaluma Member

@LiquidHost said: Don't think he would get good results at all. Even if he intends to be using it for himself only.

It has 2 cores at good clock speed. It has the VT-X enabled so it will do just fine for a small personal project to play around.

If the user plans on running 4 Oracle Database VPS' than no, probably won't be very fast but if he just wants to install a few VM's to play around with it would be just fine.