Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A New HTTP Status Code for Legally-restricted Resources
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A New HTTP Status Code for Legally-restricted Resources

nabonabo Member
edited June 2012 in General

Possibly we'll see 451's instead of 404's soon ;-)

This document specifies an additional Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) status code for use when resource access is denied for legal reasons.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tbray-http-legally-restricted-status/?include_text=1

Comments

• AdamAdam Member

I'd prefer to see:

I pity the fool who doesn't have clearance

• vedranvedran Veteran

I fear we'll see 451's instead of pretty much everything now

• I prefer Error 9001: Insufficient ponies.

But seriously, it's a sad state of affairs when this is even being considered.

• nabonabo Member

@Ivraatiems said: But seriously, it's a sad state of affairs when this is even being considered.

TBH, I quite appreciate this. Because otherwise you get a 200 and still cannot see anything. This way I can automatically (FF-extension or whatever) sort sites out.

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • tmn29atmn29a Member

I'm with @nabo on this, I sure sucks that a medium that should be open is restricted and cannibalized like that - but at least users will know that they're ISP is blocking them.

My proposal is :

451 - Your ISP suxx

Thanked by 2djvdorp Ellimist
  • NickMNickM Member

This is ridiculously stupid, and the person who wrote it clearly has no understanding of the existing HTTP status codes.

403 Forbidden
    The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.
    Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated.
    If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make
    public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the
    reason for the refusal in the entity.  If the server does not wish to
    make this information available to the client, the status code 404
    (Not Found) can be used instead.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-10.4.4

The only difference between this new status code and 403 Forbidden is that 451 can be returned if the URL is invalid.

• yomeroyomero Member

Who cares about codes? ¬_¬
    We have enough already :S

• @NickM said: The only difference between this new status code and 403 Forbidden is that 451 can be returned if the URL is invalid.

No, it's not. 403 is meant to be returned if you don't have access. 451 is returned if there's a legal restriction barring everyone meeting a criteria.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@NickM said: This is ridiculously stupid, and the person who wrote it clearly has no understanding of the existing HTTP status codes.

403 Forbidden

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.
    Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated.
    If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make
    public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the
    reason for the refusal in the entity. If the server does not wish to
    make this information available to the client, the status code 404
    (Not Found) can be used instead.
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-10.4.4

The only difference between this new status code and 403 Forbidden is that 451 can be returned if the URL is invalid.

If you are legally restricted from connecting to a resource, the server never understood the request - in fact, the server you're trying to reach never even received the request! So no, using 403 is not acceptable here, unless it's the actual destination server issuing the block (for example, if a site like Youtube were to decide not to offer service to Chinese users due to legal restrictions, and the Youtube server itself returns this).

• I think it's a good addition, as it gives the end user more of a accurate reasoning for the content not being there, and it gives the copyright trolls somethings to pat themselves on the back for...everyone wins.

• NickMNickM Member

@DimeCadmium said: 403 is meant to be returned if you don't have access. 451 is returned if there's a legal restriction barring everyone meeting a criteria.

If there's a legal restriction barring people meeting a particular criteria, they don't have access. In fact, you could even say that they're... Forbidden. 403 is a general "you're not allowed to access this resource for some reason" and should contain the reason in the response. If that reason is "We legally can't let you access this", that's what the Reason-Phrase should say.

@joepie91 said: If you are legally restricted from connecting to a resource, the server never understood the request - in fact, the server you're trying to reach never even received the request! So no, using 403 is not acceptable here, unless it's the actual destination server issuing the block (for example, if a site like Youtube were to decide not to offer service to Chinese users due to legal restrictions, and the Youtube server itself returns this).

This brings up an interesting point. All of the HTTP status codes seem to assume that the server issuing the response is the server that you sent your request to. Perhaps instead of making it a 4xx level response, it should be a new, different class, (6xx maybe?) indicating that your request was redirected/intercepted before reaching the server you sent it to.

• @NickM said: If there's a legal restriction barring people meeting a particular criteria, they don't have access. In fact, you could even say that they're... Forbidden. 403 is a general "you're not allowed to access this resource for some reason" and should contain the reason in the response. If that reason is "We legally can't let you access this", that's what the Reason-Phrase should say.

So? There are other codes like this, too, where one is just a more specific case of another.

@NickM said: This brings up an interesting point. All of the HTTP status codes seem to assume that the server issuing the response is the server that you sent your request to. Perhaps instead of making it a 4xx level response, it should be a new, different class, (6xx maybe?) indicating that your request was redirected/intercepted before reaching the server you sent it to.

That sounds like the best way to go.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2012

@joepie91 said: Perhaps instead of making it a 4xx level response, it should be a new, different class, (6xx maybe?) indicating that your request was redirected/intercepted before reaching the server you sent it to.

There are also plenty of cases of proxy servers responding with a status code in place of the original. 502, 504, 511. Additionally this 451 could be used for things like megaupload where it's being pointed to a 3rd-party server, instead of being intercepted by one in the middle.

@DimeCadmium said: There are also plenty of cases of proxy servers responding with a status code in place of the original. 502, 504, 511. Additionally this 451 could be used for things like megaupload where it's being pointed to a 3rd-party server, instead of being intercepted by one in the middle.

You misquoted ;)

Anyhow, the difference between 'plenty of cases where proxy servers respond' and this situation, is that those proxy servers typically act on behalf of the destination (for example, as a load balancer). This status code would be for a situation where the intercepting server does not act on behalf of the destination - for example, an ISP server blocking access to TPB. It would make perfect sense to have a range for errors originating from servers that are not acting on behalf of the destination. You could for example have 600 for an internal proxy error (for example, if you're on a mobile connection with an ISP proxy inbetween), 601 for an unreachable destination (again, same scenario), or 610 for a request that has been blocked for legal reasons (the TPB example). I'm obviously just throwing out some numbers here, but it's to give a general idea.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2012

@joepie91 said: You misquoted ;)

I misquoted? I selected your text and hit "quote".

@joepie91 said: those proxy servers typically act on behalf of the destination (for example, as a load balancer).

Wrong. 511, I think it was. The captive gateway one.

• @DimeCadmium said: I misquoted? I selected your text and hit "quote".

You selected Nick's text, which Joe was quoting :P

• Quite bad for net neutrality.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

This is being submitted by Google and I suspect this is for cases where they would show a page, but the Great Firewall of China (or similar) blocks it. Similar to how they now report if the government is interfering with your search results. This would make it more obvious by making it part of the protocol.

Anyway, it's a Google idea, so don't worry - they'll get 80% of the way through the RFC process and then abandon it.