Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"CPU Abuse" with Vultr or DigitalOcean ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"CPU Abuse" with Vultr or DigitalOcean ?

duyan13duyan13 Member
edited July 2014 in Help

Hello guys,

I just really need a cloud server/vps for some days so I thought why not just go with DigitalOcean or Vultr. I heard their services are very good. But I have to clear some things up because I don't really know if I can abuse their cpu cores ... That is actually the problem, if you want to know why ? well I am going to compile some huge code/sync source and it could take some days... I also have read their AUP and nothing is agains that ?
Do you think this is allowed ? (I just want to be sure before I am really going to buy a server from them)

Thanks!

EDIT: I have just noticed that DigitalOcean doesn't provide windows server so Vultr is my only choice...

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2014

Yes but They throttle you after a while at DO.

• catalystiumcatalystium Member
    edited July 2014

Why not get a cheap dedicated that you can abuse all you want?

EDIT: Or something like @drserver 's abusivecores line.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • duyan13duyan13 Member
    edited July 2014

@catalystium said:
    Why not get a cheap dedicated that you can abuse all you want?

EDIT: Or something like drserver 's abusivecores line.

Yeh I also had an abusivecore vps but I just needed it for some days then I was going to terminate it but I don't know if he likes it if I am every 2-3 weeks buying a vps for several days xD... that's weird...

It seems strange or he may get annoyed if I come every several week and ask for a reactivation of that vps ( Reinstalling Windows crap ) so because of that I prefer using a cloud server ...

• wychwych Member

@duyan13 said:
    Yeh I also had an abusivecore vps but I just needed it for some days then I was going to terminate it but I don't know if he likes it if I am every 2-3 weeks buying a vps for several days xD... that's weird...

Why not just keep it if your doing it so often? ;)

• duyan13duyan13 Member
    edited July 2014

@wych said:
    Why not just keep it if your doing it so often? ;)

I think it's waste of money since my budget is very limited and I have just intensively used it for about 3-4 days ( But yeah the server performed very very well, I must say I was really impressed )...

Btw What about Vultr ?

• Could always ask him and see if he'll do like weekly/hourly, doubt it but doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • wojonswojons Member

@duyan13 said:
    It seems strange or he may get annoyed if I come every several week and ask for a reactivation of that vps ( Reinstalling Windows crap ) so because of that I prefer using a cloud server ...

I would open up a support ticket with him. there is no such thing as cpu abuse on that line and i am sure you guys can work something out.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • @wojons said:
    I would open up a support ticket with him. there is no such thing as cpu abuse on that line and i am sure you guys can work something out.

ya I have opened a ticket, lets see :-----------D

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited July 2014

If you want much CPU resources, go with Dedicated or with regular VPS.

• mark

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

duyan13 said: Yeh I also had an abusivecore vps but I just needed it for some days then I was going to terminate it but I don't know if he likes it if I am every 2-3 weeks buying a vps for several days xD... that's weird...

I can literally do whatever you wish. Open ticket, we will find best model that suits you.

• Also remember these guys
    Dedi billed by the minute : http://incero.com/instant

OVH Weekly Rental : http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/one-week-rental.xml
    (With one week server rentals, you get unlimited domain licenses for the most widely known products on the market, including Windows, cPanel, DirectAdmin, Parallels etc., for free )

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited July 2014

duyan13 said: windows server

Why not do it on your desktop? You probably won't get terminated there....

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • DaveADaveA Member

@duyan13 said:
    Btw What about Vultr ?

We do not throttle CPU.

• DaveA said: We do not throttle CPU.

How do you combat CPU abuse?

• ATHKATHK Member

@DaveA said:
    We do not throttle CPU.

So I can use 100% CPU 24/7 ?

• Create AWS instance (EBS-based). Stop it when it's not used (you will only pay for storage, that's about $0.10 per Gb per month). Start it and do whatever you wish to.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @ATHK said:
    So I can use 100% CPU 24/7 ?

I don't know about their specific policies, but as an anecdote, I have a VM that runs many hundreds of processes and can hit the CPU pretty hard, I've never had a problem.

Thanked by 1FrankZ