Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Port Speed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Port Speed

wrhotonwrhoton Member
edited June 2012 in General

100 vs 1000 ...

Just curious how important a Gig port is to most people? Does a Gig port effect your decision on low end vps's?

Comments

• 100Mbps is more than fine....

• AsadAsad Member

Depends on the use, for a backup server you might want a higher port speed but 100mbps is fine for general use (hosting, vpn, etc.)

• blackblack Member

I think 100mbit ports are a turn off :P

• I look for ram and how much monthly transfer, but seeing as I rent a 1Gbps VPS currently, I absolutely love it and it actually excites me to use it because of that factor :) but in a general sense I doubt it'll make or break for most users, but I think it definitely adds the whip creme to the pie.

• @taipres said: I look for ram and how much monthly transfer, but seeing as I rent a 1Gbps VPS currently, I absolutely love it and it actually excites me to use it because of that factor :) but in a general sense I doubt it'll make or break for most users, but I think it definitely adds the whip creme to the pie.

I agree.

• It's nice to have a 1Gbps port for streaming.

At the moment, I've only got LEBs that have 1Gbps ports.

• you must really hate this tonyy

• I'd definitely lean towards the VPS with gbit if I had a choice. I've got 2 VPSes with you guys so if you upgraded to gbit that'd be great. ;)

• AdamAdam Member

As long as I have access to 20mbit+ then I'm happy :)

It really depends on the company and the fellow users on the node... Since you're sharing it with others, a lot of the time 100mbit can be flooded by 12am cron backups (which can conflict with your timezone).

• rds100rds100 Member

If you have 1G speed to your VPS, this probably means that everyone else on the node has 1G speed, and the node in total probably is also on a single gigabit port. So one of the other users on the node can fill the entire gigabit and make your performance suffer.
    On the other hand if the node is with gigabit, and you (and everyone else) is capped at 100Mbps - these 100Mbps should be more guaranteed, statistically.

• @rds100 that's why you limit each VM to 90% of the port speed, most users won't even notice it (and/or just assume there is some usage on the line) and it will prevent a single user from maxing out the port.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@rds100 said: On the other hand if the node is with gigabit, and you (and everyone else) is capped at 100Mbps - these 100Mbps should be more guaranteed, statistically.

And then when reality comes into play, most nodes rarely even burst over 20mbit

• rds100rds100 Member

@dmmcintyre3 you need to limit them to max. 50% of the port speed if you want to be fair.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Look at it from a bigger picture. If 1 VPS has the same port speed as your uplink to your DC (normally 1Gbps or 10Gbps) then it only takes 1 VPS on 1 node to max out the uplink. If you have a a 1Gbps uplink and set your VPS port speeds to 100Mbps then it will take 10 VPSs to max out your uplink. This isn't the reason why we limit to 100Mbps but it's a logical one for other providers.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Statistically more capable is the uplink there are less chance of saturate it because peak and small flood are moved more quickly.

We had one client with a 100M flat uplink to their vlan with 4 servers and the link was saturated very often (podcast). They asked to upgrade to a gigabit port, the graphs on five minutes are lower than before (with some high peak here and here) :-)

• Yeah, peaks saturating the port is my only actual concern or interest in GigE. Im thinking 100M for remote locations with only a few servers leaving them 100M is fine and in Dallas I think we may end up getting GigE soon. Was just curious as to how people actually viewed this.

• @wrhoton said: Dallas I think we may end up getting GigE soon.

Be sure to post up a little offer thingy here when you do. I want a GigE LEB in Texas, but 123Systems was an absolute shitshow in terms of disk IO. It got really ridiculous when the usual dd tests would return results in the KB/s.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

i hope this is not very offtopic. i am really interested with internet tv and internet radio. so it will eat lots od bandwidth. should i still consider leb or vps in general? because im thinking these apps are just network bound, and not much on cpu/disk/ram. but i dont know if its possible to ask for a lot of bandwidth.

• @jcaleb said: really interested with internet tv and internet radio. so it will eat lots od bandwidth. should i still consider leb or vps in general?

It all depends on your bitrate and what your alloc is. I did three live streams earlier in the week at ~800kbps per event (tweaking and such each day), over about three or four hours per, with an average of 30 or 35 viewers per day..

Actually I'm not really great with this 'math' thing SO simply adding up the totals from Solus (or Stallion, where appropriate) it seems I used a cumulative 83GB over seven LEBs. Of course, that also includes other usage in the billing cycle, such as pushing around backups and downloading updates and other things.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

is it possible not to distribute over different providers? It would seem a lot of work. I am thinking just use 1 provider, and just buy bandwidth and save me the trouble of orchestrating multiple lebs? But if that's not optimal, i guess thats the only choice i have =)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb live (you have one or more source that publish) or on demand (you load contents and program how they need to be played) ?

• @jcaleb said: is it possible not to distribute over different providers? It would seem a lot of work. I am thinking just use 1 provider, and just buy bandwidth and save me the trouble of orchestrating multiple lebs? But if that's not optimal, i guess thats the only choice i have =)

I do it over different providers only so I can spread out the stream across the U.S, and because it gives me an excuse to keep getting more LEBs.

That said, one provider will no doubt work beautifully if you don't expect a super huge massive load. (Nominating BuyVM for that, since they're Gbit and BW upgrades are cheap and they're on Best Coast.)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@prometeus definitely no live. because it should be pre-edited. either on demand like youtube, or simulate a tv by playing a pre-recorded program. so either youtube like, or i embed a flashplayer on the website and it loads program stream.

@ihatetonyy i just worry because i am not familiar with current technology. e.g. if i eat 100mbps 24/7 maybe my provider will kick me out? so i'm thinking, should i make some arrangements first before doing that? or is 100mbps is like nothing nowadays because of high technology?

• @Jack

If we have 100M on a rack with several servers then yes it can definitely peak out, but on a single server it rarely ever peaks out at all.

• @jcaleb I think you'd want to talk with whoever your provider will be beforehand, at the very least as a courtesy; I only do occasional live streams with my LEBs, but if you plan for 24/7 traffic, you'll want to probably plan things out more.

Any reason why you would want to host prerecorded content instead of leaving it to YouTube?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@ihatetonyy said: Any reason why you would want to host prerecorded content instead of leaving it to YouTube?

not really my decision, but from boss. i will try all my best to make them choose youtube.

• @jcaleb said: not really my decision, but from boss. i will try all my best to make them choose youtube.

Ah. If they're worried about the terrible trolls the Internet brings on, there's always the option of disabling comments, etc.

You also get the advantages of not having to pay for oodles of bandwidth and magically having a copy of your videos in every useful format known to man, across phones and TVs and God knows what else. And easy social sharing.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jack said: For some reason nodes with 100mbit seem to max out the port yet if there on 1000mbit they only touch 20mbit total I'm not sure if its due to location or what...

They max out the port, cause you are on 100mbps port for the whole node (If I am right, you are talking about your USA nodes?), its normal. However a gige node with 100mbps limit for each VM is really unlikely to get the port saturated.

We limit each VM to 95mbps and got 1gbps ports (rarely 2x1) on our nodes. Allow the users to purchase gbps port as an addon. The gbps port is limited to 80% (I belive bursting to 80% of a gige port should be more than enough), to prevent port maxing out. However, it does happen in rare cases - most likely floods.

• CoreyCorey Member

There are several companies here that offer gig ports to their vps customers, would like to know how much they limit customers and if they allow the customers to burst that gig for extended periods of time (presumably affecting other customers on the node?)

• I have yet to one of my nodes burst above 10mbit, usually the first few hours the VPS is up you see usage that's in the mbit range while they upgrade and install software then it dies down to whatever is normal for the client. My largest VPS is using about 2mbit steady 24/7, but it's a large forum getting a several million page views a month.