Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New service - wish list
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New service - wish list

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
edited June 2012 in General

As most of you probably know we are preparing to lunch public beta of our new DNS service.

Current list of features:

• anycast and latency routing based network,
  • multiple POPs in Europe, North America, South America and Asia,
  • smart, auto healing network with hot standby nodes,
  • GeoDNS (without limits per zone),
  • pay-as-you-go invoicing (you pay for each zone used in specific billing period if zone exists longer that 12 hours),
  • disaster recovery documentation (you can generate and print PDF with current DNS configuration),
  • failover support with UptimeRobot,
  • API for 3rd party integration,
  • all nodes support native IPv4 and IPv6,
  • mobile interface

What kind of additional functionality would like to see?
How much would like to pay (per zone/month) for our service (if you decide to use it :))?

Thanks
Peter

Comments

• debugdebug Member

Vanity name servers is one thing I'd like to see.

• I like EdgeDirector's pricing structure of paying X per Y number of queries. Would that be a feasible method?

• AsadAsad Member

@ihatetonyy said: I like EdgeDirector's pricing structure of paying X per Y number of queries. Would that be a feasible method?

This would be cool. Would it be possible to get analytics and stats for zones?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

The plan is that number of queries will be unlimited.

@AsadHaider - what kind of stats? Number of queries, queries per country, queries per AS?

@debug - as for now we do not support vanity NS. Our architecture does not allow that.

• subigosubigo Member

@gbshouse said: The plan is that number of queries will be unlimited.

Every single DNS host I have ever used who has said they don't limit queries, turned out to be full of shit. I use dnsmadeeasy for one reason... you pay based on the amount of queries you use. Don't say you'll offer unlimited queries unless you can handle it. I only do around 10-20 million queries a month and have had service suspended by multiple hosts in the past for "resource abuse".

Thanked by 1marrco
    edited June 2012

@subigo - OK, we can change it for let's say 5 million queries included but we are able to provide much more and personally I don't like the idea of limiting it. Maybe we will introduce two prices - one below 10 million and second for zones with higher usage.

• @gbshouse said: Maybe we will introduce two prices - one below 10 million and second for zones with higher usage.

That would be wonderful.

• klikliklikli Member

@subigo said: Every single DNS host I have ever used who has said they don't limit queries, turned out to be full of shit. I use dnsmadeeasy for one reason... you pay based on the amount of queries you use. Don't say you'll offer unlimited queries unless you can handle it. I only do around 10-20 million queries a month and have had service suspended by multiple hosts in the past for "resource abuse".

Are all queries in the same domain(zone)? Have you considered AWS' Route 53?

• subigosubigo Member

@klikli said: Are all queries in the same domain(zone)? Have you considered AWS' Route 53?

They're spread out over five domains. I actually almost switched to AWS for DNS last month when my yearly renewal for dnsmadeeasy was up. I ended up just staying with dnsmadeeasy, because I've never had a single problem with them and I have a ton of affiliate credit with them from referrals.

• laaevlaaev Member

@subigo said: dnsmadeeasy

Same here, DNSMadeEasy is great for us and haven't had any issues.

Our service is dedicated for small customers which cannot afford to pay 60USD per month for DNS (DNSMadeEasy Business 5USD per month + 55USD for GeoDNS). Beside that since we want to use pay-as-you-go model, monthly invoices can vary from month to month dependent of traffic.

• DamianDamian Member

Is it really that hard to support unlimited queries? 20 mil queries a month is about 7 per second, not that much.

I built a DNS cluster out of LEB's and was able to achieve ~1200 queries/second each node during stress testing. 1200x13=15,600 queries/second for the whole cluster, or 40 billion per month.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @gbshouse said: pay-as-you-go model

I'd be interested in that, but as a paid service, it'd need to compete with Amazon Route53.

Good luck though :)

• klikliklikli Member

@Damian said: I built a DNS cluster out of LEB's and was able to achieve ~1200 queries/second each node during stress testing. 1200x13=15,600 queries/second for the whole cluster, or 40 billion per month.

What server do you use?

@ElliotJ - we are using Route53 as a backbone but we extended it with IPv6 and more granular GeoDNS (and few other things), beside that we are going to be cheaper than Amazon