Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net due bill
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net due bill

Hi.

Just logged back onto online.net website after a year of not using them was about to purchase a server but noticed that i had a due bill. So i asked support kindly to remove it so i could go and order a new server from them. But he would not do that he told me i would need to pay for it eventho i haven't had the server for a year and that it got suspended. I don't really understand why they want me to do this as in my opinion that's just plain stupid. Opinions?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Did you ever submit a cancellation request for the previous server you had?

• Probably not if it was suspended. The way you stop using a server is to cancel it, not just stop paying the bill.

Welcome to the consequences of your actions...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

it is considered abandonment, they don't know you don't want it any more so they don't resell the resources and keep it racked and running for a period of time which is not free for them, do not just ignore your invoices and this wont happen.

If you are 999% sure you did cancel (not just the paypal agreement) then all you need to do is evidence that and they will allow you to take service again.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

When you cancel with online.net, plan to pay another bill after. I forget the specifics of the policy around it but that's basically what I recall taking away from it.

• harispharisp Member

I, on another hand, agree with OP that this is plain stupid move. Why?
    Okay, let's assume that the OP never wanted new server. They would ( probably ) never asked for that invoice to be paid ( OVH and Online ( AFAIK ) are those type of providers who suspend service if it isn't paid and you are not obliged to pay that next month invoice as service was never used ( i.e suspended / terminated ). Now when the OP is interested in service again they are trying to lure him to pay the past invoice and new one. It will probably end up bad for them as OP will find dedi somewhere else.

harisp said: I, on another hand, agree with OP that this is plain stupid move

Don't get me wrong I completely agree that it is not great for business but lets face it they could not make it any more clear before and during sign up what your obligations are, additionally they run an INSANELY cheap service and they do this by running a very tight ship in terms on capacity planning abandoned services make this hard and cost them money and it really is not that hard to request a cancellation.

Thanked by 1jar
  • RA4WRA4W Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Don't get me wrong I completely agree that it is not great for business but lets face it they could not make it any more clear before and during sign up what your obligations are, additionally they run an INSANELY cheap service and they do this by running a very tight ship in terms on capacity planning abandoned services make this hard and cost them money and it really is not that hard to request a cancellation.

Yeah but let's put it the other way. If i wouldn't have had this invoice then i would obviously go ahead and purchase a new server from them. Now im not going to do that.

And no i did not send in a cancellation request, most of us has probaly forgot to do this sometime.

• J1021J1021 Member

RA4W said: Yeah but let's put it the other way. If i wouldn't have had this invoice then i would obviously go ahead and purchase a new server from them. Now im not going to do that.

That is such a stupid thing to say. If they show any slack on enforcing this policy then more people would just leave bills unpaid when they have finished with their services.

And no i did not send in a cancellation request, most of us has probably forgot to do this sometime.

Maybe? Still your responsibility though. You made the mistake, you pay for it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

RA4W said: i did not send in a cancellation request

They don't seem to have a problem getting sales from people that would. They're probably not interested in your invoice knowing that you don't cancel.

I'm not saying I haven't done it, but I get it.

• Walking away from a bill does not make it go away. Assuming that they have kept your stuff, you have tied up their resources. The cable company does not reduce my bill if I don't watch tv, and the newspaper doesn't give me half off if I only read the ads. You used their resources, man up and pay the bill, and be lucky if they don't charge you a suspension, resumption fee like the power company or phone company would.

yep but lets look at it another way, the more customers they prevent from abandoning service a second time the smoother the capacity planning and lost revenue management goes. up goes efficiency and up goes profit.

Why not just offer to pay for the time between the due date and the date they switched your server off i.e. material loss. they may accept that they are not completely unreasonable, you are right we all do it, I did it with online.net ironically :) I paid my dues though.

again just for clarity, I agree it is silly, but there is no happy middle ground, if they terminated at +1 minute over due people would complain about that instead and like I said while you/I may have forgot it is not their fault we did that and we did cost them money.

• RA4W said: Yeah but let's put it the other way. If i wouldn't have had this invoice then i would obviously go ahead and purchase a new server from them. Now im not going to do that.

Well if you don't pay your bill why would they want your business.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • RA4WRA4W Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    yep but lets look at it another way, the more customers they prevent from abandoning service a second time the smoother the capacity planning and lost revenue management goes. up goes efficiency and up goes profit.

Why not just offer to pay for the time between the due date and the date they switched your server off i.e. material loss. they may accept that they are not completely unreasonable, you are right we all do it, I did it with online.net ironically :) I paid my dues though.

Yeah, but i just think it's stupid now 1 year afterwards.

• jnelson3149jnelson3149 Member
    edited July 2014

You made the mistake, not them. You didn't cancel the service. You have no right to whine about them for trying to collect money that you owe them. Whether it was 1 hour ago, 1 week ago, 1 month ago, or 1 year ago, you owe them the money. If I make a mistake (and certainly I have made my share) I accept responsibility and pay what I owe. As I said above , man up and pay the bill and move on.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@RA4W said:
    Yeah, but i just think it's stupid now 1 year afterwards.

So, if owe the bank money, I can just stop paying them, and go a year after for a credit?

• RA4WRA4W Member

@jnelson3149 said:
    You made the mistake, not them. You didn't cancel the service. You have no right to whine about them for trying to collect money that you owe them. Whether it was 1 hour ago, 1 week ago, 1 month ago, or 1 year ago, you owe them the money. If I make a mistake (and certainly I have made my share) I accept responsibility and pay what I owe. As I said above , man up and pay the bill and move on.

Paid now anyways.

Thanks.

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited July 2014

Dear diary*, today OP was a good guy.

Thanked by 2geekalot Wintereise
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited July 2014

@Caveman122 said:
    Dear dairy, today OP was a good guy.

You absolutely gave me the best laugh of the day with this!! LMFAO
    (we all know you meant diary)

Cheers

Thanked by 1Caveman122
  • AsadAsad Member

You have to submit a termination request before the 20th of the month to cancel at the end of the current month, otherwise it will cancel at the end of the following month.

It may be shitty, and it's cost me a few hundred euros with online.net but you agreed to it when signing up.