Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud at (a) Cost sucks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud at (a) Cost sucks?

Just say this at hacker news: http://www.cloudatacost.com/

Read his horror story about packet loss, CPU Stuck/Stalls, non-responding support and more: http://www.cloudatacost.com/mystory

(Note, this is about cloudatcost.com, which offer KVM for 35 euro one time or 1 euro/month.)

Conclusion, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

Thanked by 1cloudatacost

Comments

• blackblack Member
    edited July 2014

I believe this fan art describes things pretty well. http://www.cloudatacost.com/fan-art

Thanked by 1cloudatacost
  • It sucks, yes. It's cheap, yes.

• why the hell would you go with a one-time-fee provider in the first place? don't people think about what will happen when their bills are due and they have no money left?

• blackblack Member

@hostnoob said:
    why the hell would you go with a one-time-fee provider in the first place? don't people think about what will happen when their bills are due and they have no money left?

Make more ridiculous sales like one time fee of $10 and try to stay alive or run away with whatever profit they had left.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Yeah, I've had a ticket open for a week now unable to access my VPS. Asking for either a resolution or a refund.

• edited July 2014

So this dude (Nicholas) creates a website to slam a shitty host over a few euros?

Talk about nothing better to do...go get a girlfriend.

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith switsys
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

If someone said they would sell you a new car for €3000 one time and it would run forever maintenance free,... would you buy it?

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I've said this before, just like many other reputable hosts did .. one time costs are a bluff.

You do not just waste your money & time, you waste something more valuable than just that .. you lose something called data.

Data is priceless. Edit: Unless it is a static 1 page, that you can redo in a couple of minutes.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

I do also have a lot of cheap vps-es, but that only works because I have many and all deployment is automated with ansible. If one stops, the others take over and a new one is configured within minutes... I would never go with something single again...

• @AnthonySmith said:
    If someone said they would sell you a new car for €3000 one time and it would run forever maintenance free,... would you buy it?

As long as I also don't need to MOT or Tax it.

• Hey guys! Thanks for catching on to my website. It was created to let the public know that Cloud At Cost cannot be trusted or used for anything besides personal hosting. The servers I used, are in fact for my friends and family. I do not operate a business on my VPS. When I had originally purchased my 3 VMs, it was during a "SALE". It was marketed at a way that the first 1000 customers received the deal. I think they just decided not to stop the one time payments. Despite the fact that there is a one time payment, some of these plans still run for between $1 to $80 per month. There have been many people begging and pleading over social media for help. Some of them having BIG DOGS which start at $40 per month. The only VM that stayed up for me was my $35 one time pay VM. That's the VM that has been providing the NAGIOS graphs for the webpage. Funny how things work.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

cloudatacost said: used for anything besides personal hosting.

99% of us did not need a website to tell us that.

• ChuckChuck Member

@Raymii said:
    Just say this at hacker news: http://www.cloudatacost.com/

Read his horror story about packet loss, CPU Stuck/Stalls, non-responding support and more: http://www.cloudatacost.com/mystory

(Note, this is about cloudatcost.com, which offer KVM for 35 euro one time or 1 euro/month.)

Conclusion, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

KVM? I don't think so.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@Chuck said:
    KVM? I don't think so.

Openstack, so KVM I think.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

cloudatacost said: t was created to let the public know that Cloud At Cost cannot be trusted or used for anything besides personal hosting

Not even. Except if you want to lose your work and reinstall it in an other place, that costs money (maybe little) and time (this is much more expensive nowdays).

If you just wanted a personal/family blog/site, then, why didn't you chose a big shared hosting provider, that you know he will not disappear tomorrow and usually has backups for several days before? It will cost you 15-20$ per year and, even if the support usually sucks, for such a small projects, that is a fact that maybe you will never notice.

On the other hand, there are a lot of vps providers here that are reputable and in business for a long time, with prices starting from 10-12$ per year (for a small box that would be enough for a personal/family site). But in this case, you have to have knowledge about setting up a server.
    Cloud@cost and similar providers or kiddie/summer hosts are just fine to test the servers, play with them, learn etc. Not for any kind of rean web using, in production or not.

Bottom line: It is really ridiculous when people buy services that are not for what they want to do, have insane expectations and moaning when those expectations blow out.
    If OP had spend the same time that used for installing wordpress and create his "review" website, to search for a good hosting solution that fits his needs, he could have done more with less effort.

• jvnard: Thank you for your feedback. I have many good hosts for my professional hosting needs. This host was simply to help a few friends and family members out. FYI: A WordPress site like that only takes about 45 minutes to create. Dreamhost offers this wonderful option of one click install. A WYSIWYG editing makes things a breeze. Especially when using a default theme. You seem to misunderstand that they sold the service as a limited time "SALE" one time fee originally. Sucked in a bunch of users in to a service thinking they were getting a good deal. p.s Their partner / parent company "Fibernetics" has been around for a long time so this wasn't supposed to be a fly by night operation. Not much you can do at this point besides migrate off. The point here is to let people know that this is a bad business. They do not care about your service. They do not answer your tickets. You cannot call for support. They made no updates beyond a post saying they lost a storage array.

When you loose two VMs, days apart and you get no updates for 10 full days, you mind as well just close your shop.

Just wondering, do realize they also have a monthly fee. Those users are impacted just the same. If I would have paid $40 a month instead of a flat fee, would you feel I would have deserved better service? If so, then I again reiterate. During their original promo it was supposed to be a one time payment for the 1st 1000 VMs only. If I was within my 30 days, I'd ask for a full refund of my service.

Now I'm just happy to warn the public that you should not trust Cloud At Cost or Fiberntics (their partner).

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2014

I like that one :D

Thanked by 1cloudatacost
  • cassacassa Member
    edited July 2014

https://www.facebook.com/rachna.ghiya

I knew it! India!

1st search result lol