Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weird Upload Behaviour / Speed from Kimsufi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Weird Upload Behaviour / Speed from Kimsufi

KerberosKerberos Member

Hello everyone!

Hoping to pick some brains, re the upload speeds of my Kimsufi box (RBX). I'm thinking this must be a config issue on my end, but I'm just not sure where to look...

I'm trying to download a file from my Kimsufi box and getting about 50kbps down. I've tried transferring via sshfs, sftp and http. All downloads get about the same speed. I've tried downloading the 1Gb file from rbx.proof.ovh.net and I will get about 5Mb down (pretty much saturates my 50Mbit connection) so I don't think it's my connection to OVH.

I've also watched torrents seed at around 5-6Mb, with a few peers coming in at 1.5 / 2.0 Mb each, so I don't understand why if it's a config issue, torrents would seed so well.

I'm just at a loss as to why my file transfer to my local pc is so slow ...

Any ideas????

(Also I know LET isn't a help desk so if this isn't appropriate for LET, please let me know.)

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2014

Something else is using the upload on your Kimsufi? Try using it to upload test file somewhere via ftp, or run speedtest-cli and check up speed.

Are you behind their VAC firewall thing? That kills speed for me :(

• sc754sc754 Member

Care to message me the file link? I could test what speed I get to rule out it being a config issue with your sftp / http etc

• linuxthefish said: Are you behind their VAC firewall thing?

Not going to lie ... have no idea what that is.

• @ACaton said:
    Not going to lie ... have no idea what that is.

OVH's DDoS protection.

• linuxthefish said: Something else is using the upload on your Kimsufi?

Forgot to mention, checked the Control Panel and nothing else is uploading. That was my first thought, so I wanted to make sure.

• 0xdragon said: OVH's DDoS protection.

Got you. Just read about it on their website. Is there a way to "turn this off" to see if speed improves?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

I remember seeing reports of the same problem somewhere on OVH's forums.

Did you check if the upload is slow just to your home (one location), or to anywhere? E.g. try downloading the file to your other VPS/dedis that you have, or if you don't have any, PM the link to me or @sc754 who posted above.

If it's slow to anywhere, then contact OVH (I believe on Kimsufi they require this sort of thing to be reported via their forum). If just to one location, you could try contacting them as well, but with a much lower chance of getting it fixed.

• rm_ said: try downloading the file to your other VPS/dedis

Great idea. Thanks! Tried and download to Jacksonville is pretty much MAX. It's just so bizarre that their proof.ovh.net test file downloads great, but the transfer from my specific dedi is so freaking slow.

• rds100rds100 Member

Could it be your ISP throttling your download from this specific IP because you downloaded too much from it?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

ACaton said: Tried and download

I have tried your link too, getting 7 MB/sec to a VPS in Europe, about the same to a RBX KS server, and 5 MB/sec to a home broadband connection in Russia.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited July 2014

said: I will get about 5Mb down (pretty much saturates my 50Mbit connection)

Sorry, you mean 5MB.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited July 2014

@sc754 said:
    Care to message me the file link? I could test what speed I get to rule out it being a config issue with your sftp / http etc

wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py

chmod +x speedtest-cli

./speedtest-cli

• @rm_ said:
    I have tried your link too, getting 7 MB/sec to a VPS in Europe, about the same to a RBX KS server, and 5 MB/sec to a home broadband connection in Russia.

Thanks for checking!

@kcaj said:
    Sorry, you mean 5MB.

That I did :)

@hostnoob said:
    ./speedtest-cli

Testing from OVH SAS ...
    Selecting best server based on latency...
    Hosted by MEDIACTIVE NETWORK (Paris) [1.59 km]: 8.866 ms
    Testing download speed........................................
    Download: 92.94 Mbits/s
    Testing upload speed..................................................
    Upload: 70.57 Mbits/s

Copying the file from RBX -> Jacksonville worked at about 5-6MB. From Jacksonville to LocalPC completed at about 1.5MB.

Talk about weird.

• How are your drive(s)?

• @Acaton, any solutions? As I'm facing the same issue as well

• @wcypierre said:
    Acaton, any solutions? As I'm facing the same issue as well

Turns out it looks like it was my firewall. That being said, I still only get about 1.5MB down from France to North America.

Testing from other VPS's worked fine. After a reboot, the speed improved dramatically. Very weird.

• @ACaton said:

I'm still facing the same issue even after the reboot........... I really don't know why anymore

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited July 2014

@ACaton said:

Iptables -F

Service iptables save

Service iptables restart