Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My experience with ChicagoVPS [So far]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My experience with ChicagoVPS [So far]

JavaPortalsJavaPortals Member
edited July 2014 in Reviews

Hey.

I came across this deal from LowEndBox yesterday
http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-7month-2gb-openvz-ssd-vps-and-more-dedi-included-in-six-us-locations/#more-5361

And after reading it through, I found it to be pretty good. A little too good to be true. I looked up some reviews about ChicagoVPS and I must admit, it's pretty much 50/50. I decided to take the chance and hop into it. I went on their site, ordered and paid for 7 Pure SSD Special which is $210 total.

I waited an hour or so and still no servers available. Concerned I open a ticket about the issue, only to get thrown around between departments by the same "Support Guru" James Burkowitz.

In ended up with 3 tickets in total, around 30 hours since purchase and still no servers, not even a explanation/excuse on why my servers isn't there and 3 complaints filed to the Better Business Bureau (1 for the failed delivery, 1 for bad business practice and 1 for false advertising)

Here's the tickets:
![]http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/i3/53c132e5264223-09845888)
![]http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/i3/53c1332ad2bcb5-94683267)
![]http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/i3/53c1336d799eb6-19678916)

Here's my service page:
![]http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/i3/53c133e54d3177-50812666)

And the invoice:
![]http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/i3/53c1346181ed30-35169651)

I do admit that I could have handled the situation a little bit better, Ex: Get less pissed

UPDATE:

James have replied to my ticket to the billing department, now offering to setup my servers on a diffrent node because they don't have any space available at this moment.

http://puu.sh/a8oND/bf72ae3c10.png

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

How is this your 'experience so far'?

• @Nekki said:
    How is this your 'experience so far'?

Still writing the post, I accedently hit enter -.-'

• Thats a lot of money to gamble with. Im lazy so I always go for the yearly deals, but never that much.

I've had a bunch of servers with cvps and haven't had a problem with any. I just submitted a ticket yesterday and they got back to me answering my question in less than 10 minutes.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@joereid said:
    Thats a lot of money to gamble with. Im lazy so I always go for the yearly deals, but never that much.

Ditto, I'd never spank that much on yearlies for a company I was 50/50 on, especially as CVPS don't do guaranteed refunds or anything like that.

• @Nekki said:
    Ditto, I'd never spank that much on yearlies for a company I was 50/50 on, especially as CVPS don't do guaranteed refunds or anything like that.

Thinking about it, I do find it very stupid

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Sorry to hear this about CVPS. I have zero experience with their VPS offerings, however I do have a dedicated server with them and @CVPS_Adam has been as helpful as possible. I do know that they are slammed with orders, however it's still not really an excuse. I can say that the dedicated servers I've had and have with them all perform quite well and haven't had a single day of downtime.

• @agoldenberg said:
    Sorry to hear this about CVPS. I have zero experience with their VPS offerings, however I do have a dedicated server with them and CVPS_Adam has been as helpful as possible. I do know that they are slammed with orders, however it's still not really an excuse. I can say that the dedicated servers I've had and have with them all perform quite well and haven't had a single day of downtime.

I can understand fully if they're out of stock or similiar. Fair enough that something is getting in the way of actually processing my order, but then I would like to know. I think that seems fair.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited July 2014

You're risking having to stay with a provider for a year, even if your Minecraft server shuts down or you're not satisfied with the provided server (could be outgrowing or because it turns out as poor quality) all for saving $40.

I have to agree with you, you are indeed stupid.

I mean who purchases a dedicated server and expects it to be ready within a few hours, especially with CVPS. Guess wouldn't have expected any different from naive Minecrafters lol

• @c0y said:
    You're risking having to stay with a provider for a year, even if your server shuts down or you're not satisfied with the provided server all for saving $40.

I have to agree with you, you are indeed stupid. I mean who purchases a dedicated server and expects it to be ready within a few hours, especially with CVPS. Guess wouldn't have expected any different from naive Minecrafters lol

Did you even read the thread? I order a VPS not a dedicated server...

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@JavaPortals Yeah I think what you're asking is fair. A 10 second answer to a ticket saying we're working on it or something is better than no response at all.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Not trying to offend you but, IMHO, it is stupid to buy 7 yearly vps's with a company that you didn't use it before and the opinions here and in WHT are veery mixed for them. There is a reason for providers being so cheap: medium stability, slow support, not so good network etc.

If I was you, I would split the yearlies to 3,4 or even 7 providers (more work to manage, though) and if, in this year, a provider meets my expectations, I would maybe move the rest of the boxes with him.

Saying that, CVPS is decent for the price, but I would not use them for something really critical (I have 3 boxes with them one for backup purposes, one for in-constructing purposes and a small box as vpn for watching US TV). Will u use those boxes for something really critical?

• c0yc0y Member

@JavaPortals said:

I did read it, but must have overread that bit.

Why didn't you just buy one to test out first..? You also do realize you can't use the full 2GB due to how Java allocates memory, right? (more like 1.5GB MAX)

• @c0y said:

I'm not gonna use them for Minecraft... Just because my avatar is a minecraft character then it doesn't mean that I bought my servers for minecraft. What your doing is the exact same as if I went up to a black man and started saying he's gonna steal from me.
    If you really wanna know what they're for, just ask...

• @jvnadr said:
    Not trying to offend you but, IMHO, it is stupid to buy 7 yearly vps's with a company that you didn't use it before and the opinions here and in WHT are veery mixed for them. There is a reason for providers being so cheap: medium stability, slow support, not so good network etc.

If I was you, I would split the yearlies to 3,4 or even 7 providers (more work to manage, though) and if, in this year, a provider meets my expectations, I would maybe move the rest of the boxes with him.

Saying that, CVPS is decent for the price, but I would not use them for something really critical (I have 3 boxes with them one for backup purposes, one for in-constructing purposes and a small box as vpn for watching US TV). Will u use those boxes for something really critical?

Not gonna use them for something really critical. They're for development purposes. To play around with. And no offense taken, if you look further up in the comments, you can see that I actually admit to being kinda stupid for ordering 7 servers from the same deal on a annual plan.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

@JavaPortals As of my experience, their support is usually good for the price: they answer in some hours, even if the final solution some times take days to be given... After several issues, their previous months (at least for me) till April or May were good, but there are again stability and speed problems on their vps (I guess they over-over-over filled the nodes!)

• @jvnadr said:
    JavaPortals As of my experience, their support is usually good for the price: they answer in some hours, even if the final solution some times take days to be given... After several issues, their previous months (at least for me) till April or May were good, but there are again stability and speed problems on their vps (I guess they over-over-over filled the nodes!)

Ah, glad to know that. Let's see what @CPVS_Chris says to this, or even the BBB

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@agoldenberg said:
    Sorry to hear this about CVPS. I have zero experience with their VPS offerings, however I do have a dedicated server with them and CVPS_Adam has been as helpful as possible. I do know that they are slammed with orders, however it's still not really an excuse. I can say that the dedicated servers I've had and have with them all perform quite well and haven't had a single day of downtime.

He works for Quadranet now.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • Infinity said: He works for Quadranet now.

When did that happen?

• Update:

James have replied to my ticket to the billing department, now offering to setup my servers on a diffrent node because they don't have any space available at this moment.

http://puu.sh/a8oND/bf72ae3c10.png

• c0yc0y Member

JavaPortals said: I'm not gonna use them for Minecraft... Just because my avatar is a minecraft character then it doesn't mean that I bought my servers for minecraft. What your doing is the exact same as if I went up to a black man and started saying he's gonna steal from me. If you really wanna know what they're for, just ask...

I didn't even mention Minecraft nor implied it. Your name is JavaPortals, keyword being Java and it's probably referring to selling Bungeecord servers.

If you aren't planning on running anything Java based feel free to just say that and I'll happily apologize for my misjudgement.

• Rallias said: When did that happen?

Monday will be a week since he has started working there.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Infinity said: He works for Quadranet now.

Confirmed, such a great guy to work with in person as well.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

What location did you order that they didn't deliver?

• @c0y said:

Not at all. They're for development servers.

• @MannDude said:
    What location did you order that they didn't deliver?

New York

• Update:

The servers have finally been setup! Though, support is still slow and fastly written responses. I've had 2 tickets open now for a little over 24 hours with no response, and funny enough, the ticket status have changed from "Open" to "L2 - Open"

• JavaPortalsJavaPortals Member
    edited July 2014

Update Again:

I just got a reply to 1 of my tickets.

Response: http://puu.sh/aasX7/8ea46cce5e.png
    I asked for a set of local IP's so I didn't have to go public to get the nodes to talk to each other.
    But I'm not sure if he just screwed up and thought I was in buffalo, or if they actually placed me there.

They've asked me to close the BBB Complaints, but I'm not gonna do it except for 1, and that's the one I opened for no delivery, as they actually did deliver within the 48 hours as the ToS gives them. However, I've opened a new one for extremely bad customer service.

• KIL86KIL86 Member

No offense, but you do realize that Buffalo is in the state of New York right? They did not state New York City.

• @KIL86 said:
    No offense, but you do realize that Buffalo is in the state of New York right? They did not state New York City.

Yeah, I realised that 5 minutes after I posted the ticket, I also replied with an apologize.

• ATHKATHK Member

@JavaPortals said:
    Yeah, I realised that 5 minutes after I posted the ticket, I also replied with an apologize.

You're so impatient .. God forbid you had to wait two weeks for a dedicated server from OVH...

Seriously complaints to the BBB only a day or so after a large order... This is just pathetic on your part. You looked a reviews on sites about the company and called it 50/50 but you expect premium support? Please don't make me laugh.

If you wanted hour response times you should I purchased from the top ten list here on LET....

Thanked by 1c0y