Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated for long term backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated for long term backup

gtechgtech Member

I am setting up a system for backing up important family files and photos.
Part of the system will involve an off site server in case something happens to the backups I will have at home.
I would rather not go with a VPS because I am wanting something for long term (many years) so a dedicated server seems like the best option for this project.

My question is, Who would be better and most likely to be around in 1,5,10+ years, Online.net, Delimiter, or Kimsufi?
The server doesn't have to be fast or have much RAM, just a good amount of storage (100GB+) and a cheap price tag, which all 3 do.

As some background on what I am doing, my mobile phones will back up new photos to the dedicated server via a one-way sftp sync. Then the dedicated will sync with my home server via BTSync. My home server will be my primary backup and running Plex and Owncloud. The only additional programs running on the dedicated will be OpenVpn-AS.

I know there are options that would make this easy, like Google Drive or AWS, but I want to be in control of the off site data, as much as possible. Though select data will also be synced with Google Drive.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

said: Who would be better and most likely to be around in 1,5,10+ years, Online.net, Delimiter, or Kimsufi?

WTF why is this even a factor? If Online.net or whoever announces they go out of business next month, you just rent the next best dedi from a competitor and copy your data over. With gigabit or even 100 Mbit links on both servers, this won't take longer than a couple of days to finish.

• You should really reconsider AWS.

S3 / Glacier are great options, especially if you rarely ever download the files again - very cost-effective if they just sit there for years.

Let us know what you decide on.

• Get a Kimsufi and keep it turned off, kinda an expensive option though...

• vdnetvdnet Member

Dedicated servers have failures. Don't expect a dedicated to run without a HDD or SSD failure in 10 years. Even with RAID, you likely won't be logging in to check up on it in case a drive fails.

In other words, a dedicated server is not the right choice for you. Whats wrong with the old fashioned safety deposit box or fireproof safe with a flash drive?

• rds100rds100 Member

100GB is nothing for a dedicated server.
    You could consider something like Amazon Glacier. Or even a VPS. A dedicated server would be cost effective only if you have many TBs of data to backup.

• Cant you just use something like dropbox? I think that would be the most reliable solution for your case.

• gtechgtech Member

@vdnet said:
    Dedicated servers have failures. Don't expect a dedicated to run without a HDD or SSD failure in 10 years. Even with RAID, you likely won't be logging in to check up on it in case a drive fails.

In other words, a dedicated server is not the right choice for you. Whats wrong with the old fashioned safety deposit box or fireproof safe with a flash drive?

That is part of the reason why the dedicated is just one part of my plan:

Off site Dedicated / Off site managed (Google Drive, Amazon or something similar)/ On site server / DVD & flash backups.

• gtechgtech Member
    edited July 2014

3.2.1 Rule

At least 3 copies,

In 2 different formats,

with 1 of those copies off-site.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @gtech - Delimiter can provide you the dedicated server and cheaply BUT as with any dedicated server provider you still have to have backups. Disk failures, company failures, server hacks, these are all major concerns.

Whilst we expect companies like Delimiter (Yomura), OVH, Online.net to be around for sometime you have to also weigh in the risks. There have been plenty of highend failures over the years.

If I were doing what you are proposing, I'd make sure that you have a proper backup at your house. On the other side of this, I would not use something like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. I'd rather row my own boat and take responsibility for my data. Google Drive/Dropbox/etc there have been plenty of hacks/data minings/misuse of the years.

• StevieStevie Member

get m-disc - the data will last 1000 years.

• eric1212eric1212 Member
    edited July 2014

@Stevie said:
    get m-disc - the data will last 1000 years.

If you'll even be able to find a device that can read it in 1000 years ... may be tricky in 100 years.

• I've got some IBM3363 discs but can not find a drive to read them :-(

• Remote backup of 100GB? Easy. Backupsy.

But you should think about the portability of your local backup also. Damn nuisance having to hump around a whacking great server in case of a house fire.

• DavidxDavidx Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Get a Kimsufi and keep it turned off, kinda an expensive option though...

When I turned off my Kimsufi it rebooted itself and emailed me that it was running diagnostics to make sure my server was okay haha.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

I'd suggest Digitalocean VPS as a backup because its on a cloud system.

• Boxode said: I'd suggest Digitalocean VPS as a backup because its on a cloud system.

Last I read, DO uses local storage. It's a VPS in a box with SSD drives.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@Boxode said:
    I'd suggest Digitalocean VPS as a backup because its on a cloud system.

DigitalOcean claims its a 'cloud' but if I remember correctly they use SSD's in RAID-5, not any type of cloud type storage.

• eric1212 said: You should really reconsider AWS.

+1

AWS will be the only option for long term 10+ year backups (not mention, exponentially cheaper). Amazon handles financial data, healthcare data, even secret government data. They have the trust of the industry and the certifications to prove it.

With AWS you have full access to client side encryption (and server side encryption), fully redundant data centers, and 99.999999999% durability of data.

Your data is always safer on AWS's S3 than some dedicated server.

• ReeRee Member

Was looking into the same thing awhile back. After careful consideration, I decided to go with...my office computer! Won't work for everyone, but for those who can do that, it's definitely the cheapest option.

• zedzed Member

crashplan + 1tb drive at (my place + 3 relatives) = feelsgoodman

• gtechgtech Member

AWS S3 is looking like a good option or at least as an additional backup location. Both the backup app I am using and OwnCloud can sync with.

I am still wanting a dedicated server for a VPN and other projects. Of the 3 I mentioned that have a $5-10 price point, which would people recommend.
    Delimiter is nice in that it would have a US based IP
    Kimsufi and Online.net both have a bit more resources.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

I was using a Fusioned custom configuration VPS for backups. Always worked perfectly. Then George decided it was time to stop the last rented node and go full on, on own hardware. So I had to move my backupserver. (Which is in the process now).

As long as you have enough time it should not matter if a host stops or not. Go for a reputable one that at least communicates.

Otherwise, try something like Amazon Glacier or Openstack Swift.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited July 2014

From a financial perspective, excluding Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc., Online.net is probably the "safest" bet -- unlike OVH, where there's no other backup business (though realistically OVH is also probably pretty safe) Online.net is part of a massive multi-billion-Euro French telecommunications company (Iliad) whose founder and majority shareholder is the sixth richest person in France.

• gtechgtech Member

@Raymii said:
    I was using a Fusioned custom configuration VPS for backups. Always worked perfectly. Then George decided it was time to stop the last rented node and go full on, on own hardware. So I had to move my backupserver. (Which is in the process now).

As long as you have enough time it should not matter if a host stops or not. Go for a reputable one that at least communicates.

Otherwise, try something like Amazon Glacier or Openstack Swift.

I understand that hardware fails and companies go away. I am just wanting to have these files in enough places that a hardware failure or other catastrophic event does not cause them to be lost forever. I also don't want to worry that a company hosting the server I am using or service it's going to close up shop in 6 months and I have to move everything to a new place and reconfigure all the parts of this system that are going make it automated and seamless for my family.

The bulk of the files that are being backed up are family photos. Having a 1 year old son and daughter on the way, there are plenty. There are always more to add to the list, hence the auto backup from our smartphones.

On a side note, part of my obsession with having multiple, automated backup locations comes from having my but saved about a year ago from a hard drive crash. 2 minutes after completing a final paper for a class I was taking, and an hour before it was due, the hard drive in my 3 month old laptop crashed. Luckily all my file were save in my Google drive folder and I only lost a few minor revisions.
    Since then I don't trust any files of importance to a single source, I would just like to get away from relying places like Google to store them.

• How about Backblaze or crashplan or some other backup plan that focuses on home usage backup?