Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPTP Vs. TUN/TAP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPTP Vs. TUN/TAP

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited June 2012 in Help

One more which one is better question: is PPTP better or OpenVPN with TUN/TAP better for VPN purposes? Actually, forgive me for being lazy, but may I ask what's the differences between the two?

At home I am running on Windows 7 machines and obviously the VPN server is running on Linux, primary purposes is Hulu :)

Thanks!

Comments

• I went with OpenVPN regardless (TUN/TAP) but I used this to basically help me decide:
    http://www.ivpn.net/knowledgebase/62/PPTP-vs-L2TP-vs-OpenVPN.html

Also, OpenVPN makes it 10x easier to set it up.

• Well, i find PPTPD better
    Dunno why, but i just like it and it's easy

• @HalfEatenPie Thanks for sharing the link, OpenVPN seems to be the best choice here!

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

As I was doing a research previously for a present project (VPN services), appears that OpenVPN is prefered over PPTP by most of the users. However, I personally prefer PPTP, if used on Windows machine.

• I think openvpn over tcp is probably the best.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

PPTP needs two ports. One for initialization and the other for data exchange. OpenVPN can be run on any single port.

• ChanChan Member

OpenVPN is able to pass through firewalls more easily as it can be routed to pretty much any port. Whereas PPTP can only uses the default ports, which can be easily blocked.

Thanked by 2nabo TheHackBox
  • CekoCeko Member

My vote goes to OpenVPN here.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox