Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cogentco + Level 3 Vs He.NET, which one is better?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cogentco + Level 3 Vs He.NET, which one is better?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited June 2012 in Help

I have two VPS servers right now that I am thinking of putting sites on, I am not sure how much it would matter, but it is using Cogentco + Level 3 by doing a traceroute from my own computer, while the other one is using mostly HE.NET.

I am just curious which one you would consider as a "better" route? Both servers are in US.

Comments

• Level3 is likely better.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @William: so which carriers would be considered as "premier" carriers? Is Level3 one of them? How about nLayer? And I guess HE.Net is considered more as a "budget" carrier?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Level 3 is nice but you should use bgp.he.net to get an idea of how much is going over L3.

Some providers will have 'some' good transit then tons and tons and tons of cheaper stuff.

HE has been a lot better since the ddos wars they had last year.

Francisco

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • flyfly Member

l3 is pretty great

• rds100rds100 Member

L3 is pretty expensive too, compared to Cogent or HE

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: L3 is pretty expensive too, compared to Cogent or HE

I can confirm it's 2 to 3 time more expensive than Cogent...

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2012

@prometeus you are getting a good price then :) It was in the 3-4x range here, compared to Cogent, last time i checked. At least here (BG).

Yes I know ;-)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2012

L3 didn't even bother to answer my 1G on 10G price/quote request in Vienna.... (and Cogent offered their usual 1EUR / Mbit and 1,2EUR burst)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I have never heard anything good about Cogent.

@William said: L3 didn't even bother to answer my 1G on 10G price/quote request in Vienna

Things changed with L3 in the last year... Maybe it has something to do with the global crossing acquisition...

• rds100rds100 Member

@prometeus changed to better or to worse?
    @raindog308 Cogent has good technical staff.

@rds100 said: changed to better or to worse

Worse, and not only with the sales people, but the support often require several iterations to have things fixed, filters often aren't updated on time and so on...
    On the other hand I was impressed by the Cogent support...

• @prometeus said: On the other hand I was impressed by the Cogent support...

Very fast and very knowledgeable - i was surprised as well.

• Interesting, here is the peering of my home ISP:

http://bgp.he.net/AS5645#_asinfo

Pretty shitty I guess....

• @zhuanyi said: Interesting, here is the peering of my home ISP:

http://bgp.he.net/AS5645#_asinfo

Pretty shitty I guess....

That's not terrible.

• @raindog308 said: I have never heard anything good about Cogent.

They're network isn't as bad as it used to be. Actually, latency has been fairly good recently. My home ISP routes a good portion of their traffic through Cogent and I've got nothing to complain about.

My home ISP also has lots of HE routes. Even though Cogent has gotten better, HE seems to have slightly faster and more stable routes.

• Here is mine:
    http://bgp.he.net/AS6830

Looks good, but in reality... not good :)
    So peers are not everything.

• Question: How can I check the ASN of my VPS if all I know is the IP of my VPS? For some reason bgp.he.net only send me my own ISP info....

• @zhuanyi said: Question: How can I check the ASN of my VPS if all I know is the IP of my VPS? For some reason bgp.he.net only send me my own ISP info....

put IP in the search box

• Thanks Joe, so I checked, one of them is as15003, the other one is 40244, which one would you say is a better route? Thanks!

• 15003 clearly, 40244 has only Cogent, TWT and some small ISP which are all rather "cheap" while 15003 has Level3, Peer1, Abovenet and nLayer which can be considered "high quality".

However, the AS info does not say much as the provider can announce specific /24 (or larger) to only a few of them and routes for other customers to other ranges (Leaseweb does that for example under one AS# to separate their budget and premium network, OVH does it based on load etc.)

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • jhjh Member

"Cogentco + Level 3" is probably 90% Cogent

Thanked by 1klikli
  • ZiggaZigga Member

@William said: So peers are not everything

one of those peers are not like the others... Why on earth do you peer with an AU based ISP? (Internode) internode traffic gets to Austria in less than 15hops! My home ISP who uses cogent who in turn pass it to level 3... 24+ hops!

• Cogent's gotten a lot better as long as you pick them up in one of the major pops (350E Cermak comes to mind), etc.

• I find HE.net better when routing from Europe to the US.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited June 2012

Why on earth do you peer with an AU based ISP? (Internode)

To serve Australian clients better, since now Internode owns iinet too. The forward path isn't everything, you're not seeing half of the story.

Try a reverse trace from edis/whoever you were pointing at and you'll see what I mean.

As for my own ISP (Open Computer Network (OCN) - AS4713), this is basically NTT. Got no complaints though, they've been excellent. 100% uptime and reliability on the bandwidth commit.

View: http://bgp.he.net/AS4713

• ZiggaZigga Member

@Wintereise said: To serve Australian clients better, since now Internode owns iinet too. The forward path isn't everything, you're not seeing half of the story.

Uhm I don't think internode provide any transit(just their customer base really)... iinet still rely very heavily on telstra-global for international connectivity so really not a huge number of customers at all!

On the other hand I really like TATA/AS6453 and my vote is definitely for HE.NET my ISP relies on Cogent quite heavily..... its definitely shitty at times.

• @Zigga said: Why on earth do you peer with an AU based ISP? (Internode)

Internode is on the DECIX or AMSIX.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited August 2022

I know this is a old thread. But any updates?

Cogentco or HE? For Europe => US and US => EU?

Does anyone have feedback from this?

Core-backbone any feedback? Expensive?
    IPVolume?
    NTT
    RETN?