Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ RHEL5 EOL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ RHEL5 EOL

RalliasRallias Member
edited July 2014 in General

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.openvz.user/5705

EOL: October 2014

SHITSTORMS PENDING

Comments

• Quite painless to move to RHEL6/CentOS6, I don't see why there should be any storms of shit. Upgrades and Updates, it's all in a days work.

• cncking2000 said: Quite painless to move to RHEL6/CentOS6, I don't see why there should be any storms of shit. Upgrades and Updates, it's all in a days work.

Yeah, it only requires an OS reinstall.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

o boy...... people..... stock up on popcorn!

• @Rallias said:
    SHITSTORMS PENDING

Doubtful, but dat signature...

Thanked by 1vdnet
  • TACServersTACServers Member
    edited July 2014

@Rallias said:
    Yeah, it only requires an OS reinstall.

It would be best to spin up a new install rather than wiping out an OS install on what I would presume would be a running node. Once the new box is running, test restoring vzdumps, if they work, the rest is easy. If they don't, migrate your customers VM's by providing a new VPS, and then switch the IP when they are ready to "do the switch" Take about 2-3 months to properly plan and implement with the clients that cannot be restored.

Try it in SolusVM, take your old CentOS5, and move the VPS's to the CentOS6 node. It works for me.

Or, I was lazy and rsynced the /vz/private/VEID after creating the VPS on the new node, make sure to stop container on both before rsync...

Edit: Quote needed//

• dnwkdnwk Member

I reason I don't like centos is no upgrade path like do-release-upgrade in Ubuntu

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

dnwk said: I reason I don't like centos is no upgrade path like do-release-upgrade in Ubuntu

There is going to be one from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7

For the first time, there is a supported upgrade path from CentOS-6 to CentOS-7. This path is only supported from the latest version of CentOS-6 (being 6.5 at the time of writing) to the latest version of CentOS-7. For more information on the upgrade procedure please take a look at this page. The tools needed for this functionality are still being tested and will be released at a later time. If you can help with the testing, please see this CentOS-Devel mailing list thread.

• petrispetris Member

Good. Maybe now people will stop setting up new SolusVM servers with CentOS 5 and making clients think they have 8TB of RAM.

• @cncking2000 said:
    Quite painless to move to RHEL6/CentOS6, I don't see why there should be any storms of shit. Upgrades and Updates, it's all in a days work.

In private/corporate environments it's not always so straight-forward.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Microlinux said: straight-forward.

What is this straight forward you speak of?

• Boxode said: What is this straight forward you speak of?

You wouldn't know it, you strayed from the "straight forward" long ago.

• rds100rds100 Member

So what about OpenVZ for RHEL7 / CentOS 7 based kernels then?