Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New provider, blacklisted IP - what to do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New provider, blacklisted IP - what to do?

DarioXDarioX Member
edited July 2014 in Help

Hey you guys,

I recently got a new VPS from a provider here on LET and sadly the IP assigned to me is blacklisted by hotmail.

Since it's the first time that something like that happens to me, what do you think is fair to do in such case? Can I ask the provider for a new IP or not? What is fair?

Thanks for your help! :)

Comments

• Just ask them for a new IP

Thanked by 1DarioX
  • trexostrexos Member

Ask them for a new IP, there is nothing wrong in doing this.

Thanked by 1DarioX
  • rds100rds100 Member

How did you find out the IP is blacklisted in hotmail?

• ATHKATHK Member

@rds100 said:
    How did you find out the IP is blacklisted in hotmail?

Probably mailed him or her self from the box?

• rds100rds100 Member

ATHK said: Probably mailed him or her self from the box?

Yes, and? If the email wasn't received this doesn't always mean blacklist. There are many things to do and check before you decide it's a blacklist. Unless he got a reject message which clearly says "gtfo, your IP is blacklisted".

• Email Microsoft and ask them to unblock it. Takes 2 mins and I got mine unblocked within a couple hours.

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl3&ct=eformts&scrx=1

Thanked by 1DarioX
  • DarioXDarioX Member

Thank you guys, I was just not sure I had the right to ask for a new IP.

@hostnoob, thanks I will try for sure. :)

@rds100 said:
    Unless he got a reject message which clearly says "gtfo, your IP is blacklisted".

This is exactly what I get from hotmail. :)

• wychwych Member

You have about 3 options...

1) Clean IP like hostnoob said
    2) Get new IP
    3) Move to unblacklisted provider (assuming you are currently in CC's ranges here).

Thanked by 1DarioX
  • DarioXDarioX Member

@wych said:
    You have about 3 options...

1) Clean IP like hostnoob said
    2) Get new IP
    3) Move to unblacklisted provider (assuming you are currently in CC's ranges here).

I will try with 1) first and no, I'm not with a CC provider.

• wychwych Member

@DarioX 1 and 2 should be fine then.

• rds100rds100 Member

Also make sure the other settings are OK - rDNS, SPF, etc.

Thanked by 1wych
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sadly hotmail often blacklist a whole /24 so asking for removal rarley lasts long, as RShosting told me many years ago as a solution "ask customers not to use hotmail addresses"..... brilliant!

• wychwych Member

@rds100 said:

+1

@AnthonySmith said:
    sadly hotmail often blacklist a whole /24 so asking for removal rarley lasts long

Do they not still use the system you can link an IP to an account and you manage that IP out of the block?

• DarioXDarioX Member

@rds100 said:

All good on that side. Google, Yahoo also don't have any problem with the IP, just hotmail...

Well, I have asked for removal now, let's hope I can get away with it that way. Thanks again!

• DarioXDarioX Member

Sooo, little update. Hotmail contacted me... with this e-mail:

Dear XXXXX XXXXX

Please note that your ticket number is in the subject line of this mail.

My IP

Note: Errors are unlikely, however, if an error is indicated, please resubmit the specific IP or IP range.

Thank you,

Outlook.com Deliverability Support

Please do not reply to this message as it is from an unattended mailbox. Any replies to this email will not be responded to or forwarded. This service is used for outgoing emails only and cannot respond to inquiries.

Errors are unlikely?
    So should I send them the IP again?
    What?

• How did you check to determine the IP was black listed? I've always used http://mxtoolbox.com/

• wychwych Member

@CharlesA mxtoolbox checks most, for MS you can Request access on http://postmaster.live.com/snds

• DarioXDarioX Member

So, another update from Hotmail:

Dear XXXXXX XXXXXX

We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.

Conditionally mitigated
    My IP
    Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) qualify for conditional mitigation. These IP(s) have been unblocked, but may be subject to low daily email limits until they have established a good reputation.

Please note that mitigating this issue does not guarantee that your email will be delivered to a user’s inbox.

Ongoing complaints from users will result in removal of the mitigation.

Mitigation may take 24 - 48 hours to replicate completely throughout our system.

If you feel your issue is not yet resolved, please reply to this email and one of our support team members will contact you for further investigation.

So actually quite nice of them.
    Anyways, my provider gave me a new IP and everything is working just fine right now.
    Thanks to them for the good support and for you all for the helpful advices! Problem is solved :)

• wychwych Member

Glad you got it working.

Thanked by 1DarioX
  • DarioXDarioX Member

Funny thing is that now Hotmail marks the mail as Spam. I mean it's just persona mail, but it has everything set and working just fine rDNS, DKIM, SPF and Google, Yahoo, GMX, etc. all just let the mail pass through, but not Hotmail.

These guys are just really either paranoid or incompetent.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

Mitigation may take 24 - 48 hours to replicate completely throughout our system.

Also are you sure rDNS, DKIM etc are setup correctly and working?

• DarioXDarioX Member

@wych said:
    Also are you sure rDNS, DKIM etc are setup correctly and working?

Yes, I'm quite positive about it as all other provider work, just Hotmail doesn't.
    Actually that mail is not valid for my current situation anymore, since I have a new IP address now - or is it domain related? Should I report them the new IP? Why do they have to be so annoying?!

• wychwych Member

Why did you change the IP, and yes I would suggest you speak with them to get the new IP listed, if nothing else you should be notified if reports are filed against it in the future.

Thanked by 1DarioX
  • DarioXDarioX Member

@wych said:
    Why did you change the IP, and yes I would suggest you speak with them to get the new IP listed, if nothing else you should be notified if reports are filed against it in the future.

The provider has been faster and I thought "let's take the new IP, it's surely gonna be faster then waiting for Hotmail", but well, bad move I guess.

Anyway, I informed Hotmail about the new IP. Let's hope it works out in the end.
    Thanks again for your help wych!

• I used to use freedns.afraid.org for dns, they would not even let you add records to zones if the ip was blacklisted.

So you can use that for checking. Or mxtoolbox as said before.

• DarioX said: Funny thing is that now Hotmail marks the mail as Spam. I mean it's just persona mail, but it has everything set and working just fine rDNS, DKIM, SPF and Google, Yahoo, GMX, etc. all just let the mail pass through, but not Hotmail.

Welcome to Hotmail.

Hotmail will dump most all mail from a new IP to the spam folder, regardless how the sending server is configured. Send legitimate mail, and over time you'll build a reputation and the results will improve.

• mandrillapp is good for ensuring mail is always delivered.