Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CaliHop closing down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CaliHop closing down

imagineimagine Member
edited July 2014 in Providers

Felt this coming for a couple of weeks.

Dear CaliHop, LLC Clients,

It is with our deepest regrets that we must inform you CaliHop, LLC will no longer be offering Dedicated Server and VPS products, effective immediately. Please move your data as soon as possible, as we cannot guarantee how long your server will remain online.

CaliHop, LLC

Real shame, they provided a decent service.

Comments

• Well, that's depressing. Weren't a few providers here doing servers out of CaliHop?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2014

I just don't understand it, if your business is failing you should know and you have a responsibility to not leave current customers in a vulnerable position.

The amount of "effective immediately. Please move your data as soon as possible, as **we cannot ** guarantee how long your server will remain online" type first notification of problem and final communication emails hosts send out these days is just bullshit.

You know when your getting shut down for not paying bills unless you have left it so late your surprised the DC has left your equipment switched on to begin with in which case this email is a month to late.

• @ihatetonyy said:
    Well, that's depressing. Weren't a few providers here doing servers out of CaliHop?

I think pretty much every provider that offered San Diego was. We were back in the ErrantWeb days, we haven't sold their in at least 6 months, however we are working with our clients to move them to our Detroit location (on our colo'd hardware) or migrate them to another host.

Sad to see them go as they were a nice host. However now we only have colocated hardware nothing rented.

• Is anyone actually affected by this on here? I thought they only had about a rackful of customers left.

• We had a great experience with them, dont know why they fail.

• DannyAlex said: We had a great experience with them, dont know why they fail.

Same here - only use it for a personal server, and one which I recommended to a friend.

Looks like they just powered everything down. AIS say they haven't taken any action, so it was CaliHop's action to power off.

• @imagine said:
    Looks like they just powered everything down. AIS say they haven't taken any action, so it was CaliHop's action to power off.

Still online over here.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@imagine said:

You can't believe everything you hear. Nobody knows the real story unfortunately :'( CaliHop was a great company with very solid services - my dedicated servers with them had more than a year of uptime and the VPS's I had there were solid as well.

• Errm, is ReverseHosts with Calihost? My IP from them says "IP Location : United States United States San Diego Calihop Llc" Should I be concerned?

• skybucks100 said: Errm, is ReverseHosts with Calihost? My IP from them says "IP Location : United States United States San Diego Calihop Llc" Should I be concerned?

ReverseHosts is hosted with CaliHop in San Diego.

Thanked by 1skybucks100
  • @SrvisLLC said:

Ugh, I was afraid you'd say that..

I took an extra backup of my VPS, hopefully they'll work through this.

• Well that was a swift migration @SrvisLLC , +1 for making the smooth transition. Some providers simply disappear and have no contingency for these situations.

Thanked by 2SrvisLLC Licensecart
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

IPxcore too I believe.

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited July 2014

@ricardo said:
    Well that was a swift migration SrvisLLC , +1 for making the smooth transition. Some providers simply disappear and have no contingency for these situations.

Glad to hear that the migration worked smoothly for you. We're working as fast as we can to migrate all of our clients. As soon as we received this email we began work. We also worked to inform everyone about the uncertainty of CaliHop's network 1-2days ago.

I'm going to be working with other hosts as well to see how I can help them with the migration of clients or providing a space to house clients in the mean time, as this is not something that any service provider likes to hear from another.

I am also in contact with CaliHop's data-center regarding this matter to see how things will move forward, as this is such a abrupt stop in service.

@Infinity said:
    IPxcore too I believe.

From what I've seen yes it appears they may be affected as well, however I would wait for an official response from them as they are quite active and were aware of the situation the other day.

• My ReverseHosts VPS is still up and responsive. No major issue as it was clean installed a week ago and I was deciding what to do with it.

I have asked them for a response.

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • I have posted about it in a thread a week ago that they are gonna deadpool soon
    I hope damian has moved his services from there

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Strange why they just didn't contact other providers to attempt to sell the existing clients so it would be a smooth transitition.

Oh well, another one bites the dust.

• @Boxode said:
    Strange why they just didn't contact other providers to attempt to sell the existing clients so it would be a smooth transitition.

There's no way to know they didn't, and that an agreement simply didn't work for whatever reason (unless they themselves come forth.)

• @Boxode said:

Who would buy it. Considering those prices. It was always too cheap to be true.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said:
    Who would buy it. Considering those prices. It was always too cheap to be true.

No.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

unsustainable prices, that breads unsustainably priced services, that drives price expectations down which results in constant deadpools.

Thanked by 2IxamHosting netomx
  • Really quite sad. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I manage an 15+ year old web hosting and security services company here in the U.S. We have one of the longest "signed" customer testimonials lists in the world as well. So if you are looking for "quality" hosting with near instant 3rd tier level support, please feel free to email me (address in my profile). We offer free website accounts moves/transfers as well.

Thanked by 2MikePT sirmbhe
  • BAKABAKA Member

I found my IPXcore San Diego VPS down today before I got to know this.

Waiting to see what will happen next...

• Our San Diego nodes just went dark.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited July 2014

Yeah, my Reversehosts VPS on 'Demeter' node went down about an hour before your post @SrvisLLC

• @Monsta_AU said:
    Yeah, my Reversehosts VPS on 'Demeter' node went down about an hour before your post SrvisLLC

Sad to see it go, however we are working on bringing up a lot of space in our Detroit location. If anyone needs a place to stay after CaliHop we can most likely give you free service for a bit to help out. Contact us on live-chat or ticket.

• @SrvisLLC said:
    If anyone needs a place to stay after CaliHop we can most likely give you free service for a bit to help out. Contact us on live-chat or ticket.

Appreciate the offer, however my service there was only idling and had no data on it. I'd rather those more in need than myself gets those spots as I have other services I can use when necessary.

• @BAKA said:
    I found my IPXcore San Diego VPS down today before I got to know this.

Waiting to see what will happen next...

We are currently restoring the virtual servers from backups.

Thanked by 1BAKA
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Anyone have an idea what size Calihost was?

• @jbiloh said:
    Anyone have an idea what size Calihost was?

Too late to purchase! However you can afford dead bear!