Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with guaranteed resources, lenient AUP for $40/month (Europe)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with guaranteed resources, lenient AUP for $40/month (Europe)

Hello!

I've been looking for a new box to put my personal stuff on. That's LAMP, one or more game servers, email, DNS, XMPP, IRC client/bots, VPN (for legal purposes), possibly a TOR relay, the whole lot. Since I'd like a stable service, I'm looking for a provider that offers guaranteed RAM and CPU power, or is at least renowned for meeting performance needs.

In particular, my requirements are:

• RAM: 2GB, don't care about burst
  • Disk space: 40GB, don't care about what it's stored on as long as I get decent performance
  • Technology: Xen (HVM preferred)/KVM/VMWare
  • CPU: Enough power to run what I listed above 24/7 without hitches. A dedicated core would be nice, but I don't really expect to find it in this price range. Otherwise, being granted a minimum percentage of CPU power on the host - again, enough to match my needs - or having plenty of testimonials saying it's good enough.
  • Network: 1TB+ on a 100mbps switch port. I'm aware guaranteeing good network performance in this regard is very difficult, I'd just like providers not known to be problematic here.
  • OS: Linux (though with the above technologies I should really be able to install my own)
  • AUP: This is where it gets really tricky. I want a host that does not care what I do with my box as long as it's legal (not looking for a warez host) and I react to abuse mail/DMCA complaints. That means, no restrictions on IRC (okay, beyond disallowing specific software like Eggdrop and psyBNC), adult content, proxies, hosting "hacking software" etc., and no zero-tolerance spam policy that automatically boots me the instant it gets a complaint. Hell, I'd like to be able to DoS my own boxes as long as I don't clog up the host's network (not that I intend to do so - although I might want to stress test something at some point - it's just a matter of principle).
  • Price: $40/month, monthly payment, tops.

I've looked at many hosts, but most don't meet my CPU and AUP criteria. I've heard good things about Linode with regards to game servers and Tor relays (very understanding staff when it comes to exit nodes getting DMCA'd, and I don't even plan to run an exit node). But they do not guarantee resources, their AUP prohibits heavy resource usage, and I'm not sure how their zero-tolerance spam policy works (I want to be given time to respond to complaints and get them sorted out, e.g. if I've been hacked or the complaint is simply dishonest). Vultr also looks good, as does LeaseWeb, but again, no guaranteed resources (and I haven't heard about gameservers on them yet).

For these requirements I've also looked at cheap dedicated servers. Of course, the only ones who sell servers that aren't based on ancient or extremely low performing hardware at this price appear to be OVH, OneProvider and Online.net. Right now, I'm thinking of going with the latter (OVH and OneProvider again have AUP's I don't like; online.net used to prohibit open proxies, but they no longer do apparently).

Any advice?

Comments

• Unfortunately Ecatel aren't quite what I'm looking for; I don't need a bulletproof provider that appears to ignore DMCAs etc., just one that allows me to deal with them, rather than proactively prohibiting certain uses or being quick to kick me out when complaints arrive. Which, I might add, I can totally understand; I don't plan to draw complaints either, I just like the security of my provider working with me if they happen. And while they offer great value, Ecatel can't match the specs-to-price ratio offered by the likes of OVH.

That said, I didn't see their price matching offer before. I'll check them out if I'm unhappy with whatever provider I go with in the end, so thanks for your reply! :)

• OVH and Hetzner forwards abuse complaints, I'm guessing so do soyoustart/kimsufi but I've never tested it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I could possibly offer you a Xen HVM or Xen PV VPS with a dedicated core for a lot less than your budget in the UK.

I am happy to work with people that get abuse reports rather than acting first as long as you respond to them within 24 hours.

Spam.. as you mentioned it what issues do you expect?

You would be looking at around €15 p/month.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to have a human discussion about your requirements.

The only thing I can say for sure I wont allow is Tor/Open Proxy.

Anthony.

Thanked by 2netomx DrDaxxy
  • cassacassa Member

@drserver maybe

Thanked by 1drserver
  • @cassa said:
    drserver maybe

I thought they offer US servers only!

• I've seen AbusiveCores. No idea where they host, but they're currently sold out.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • BradBrad Member
    edited July 2014

@cassa said:
    drserver maybe

Thanks for the mention, but we do not allow game servers, nor IRC (whether it be servers or not).

@K2Bytes said:
    I thought they offer US servers only!

That is correct.

@DrDaxxy said:
    I've seen AbusiveCores. No idea where they host, but they're currently sold out.

Unfortunately, I do not think AbusiveCores is right for you due to our usage policy.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2014

With Linode I was able to use 90%+ of the CPU resource on peak hours without any complaint, every day.

With $40 budget, you can move one of your service onto the 1024 plan for a quick stress test before you decide to move the whole thing. It only costs you $5 to create the account. Same goes to vultr, etc.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

0 spam tolerance here, if it happens from new customers. We understand old ones can get hacked and if they did not run zpanel or kloxo, we will re-image the VPS and if it does not happen again in a couple of months, it is OK. We do find out in an hour or two, so going under the radar is not possible here.
    As for resources, all our VPSes can go to 100% load, even budget ones while the others can go higher for a while before hearing from us. Shutting down occurs only on loads like 300%+, like 12 on 4 cores. Suspensions only if shutting down did not correct the problem (i.e. the user restarted the server and continued the abuse).
    We do not allow DoS of any kind, including "stressers", neither incoming, unless you are on a dos protected IP.
    DMCA, we forward, if we hear back everything is fine, good, but if not, we suspend as well as in cases where the customer's "business" is based on IP rights infringement, warez, movies, music without rights to distribute.

• @Maounique said:
    0 spam tolerance here, if it happens from new customers. We understand old ones can get hacked and if they did not run zpanel or kloxo, we will re-image the VPS and if it does not happen again in a couple of months, it is OK. We do find out in an hour or two, so going under the radar is not possible here.
    As for resources, all our VPSes can go to 100% load, even budget ones while the others can go higher for a while before hearing from us. Shutting down occurs only on loads like 300%+, like 12 on 4 cores. Suspensions only if shutting down did not correct the problem (i.e. the user restarted the server and continued the abuse).
    We do not allow DoS of any kind, including "stressers", neither incoming, unless you are on a dos protected IP.
    DMCA, we forward, if we hear back everything is fine, good, but if not, we suspend as well as in cases where the customer's "business" is based on IP rights infringement, warez, movies, music without rights to distribute.

Does this apply to iwstack or just prometeus?

• @linuxthefish said:
    Does this apply to iwstack or just prometeus?

iirc ToS is equal for prometeus & iwStack

• GiulioGiulio Member
    edited July 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    I could possibly offer you a Xen HVM or Xen PV VPS with a dedicated core for a lot less than your budget in the UK.

I am happy to work with people that get abuse reports rather than acting first as long as you respond to them within 24 hours.

Spam.. as you mentioned it what issues do you expect?

You would be looking at around €15 p/month.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to have a human discussion about your requirements.

The only thing I can say for sure I wont allow is Tor/Open Proxy.

Anthony.

What's the problem with tor relays? You won't never get an abuse.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Giulio you do actually, I get regular reports from the DC's abuse lists to take down tor relays because the DC does not want to have tor on the network.

• You can look into http://www.host1plus.com/cloud-hosting/ offers with promo code it would be below $40 per month. I think server in Germany.
    For blackhat forum users. BHWCLOUD40 -40%

Also you can try https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/ you will double your need for $40. Service in Amsterdam.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

linuxthefish said: Does this apply to iwstack or just prometeus?

One ToS/AUP for all services, the differences are detailed inside, translated version here:
    http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1390&sid=316d555ba3cfd796171a82a5d9e78683

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • AccelAccel Member

@Maounique said:

the second reason is why i like iwstack and prometeus... good work sal and mao

Thanked by 2Gunter Maounique
  • BluBoyBluBoy Member

Why not just get a dedicated for that sort of price?

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • XTServersXTServers Member
    edited July 2014

There's a lot of providers who don't want to have a whole node blocked by DC due to some shitty SPAM or other abuses. We also don't tolerate spam or abuses but we get reports from datacenters and we let the client go at first strike if it's not a very nasty abuse and it proves it's not done on purpose. We look into it and if it proves the client did it on purpose ... they need to go. If they got hacked or something like that, we try to help them fix it or avoid it in the future.

Also, for that price you can just get for a Kimsufi dedicated.

Thanked by 1DrDaxxy
  • I think I've been misunderstood. In no way do I intend to spam, pirate, DoS etc. on my servers, nor do I expect to have any related issues. I only want to be sure that, in the unlikely event that my server gets hacked, or if I run a forum and someone posts copyrighted content without my knowledge, and a complaint arrives, I don't get my service cancelled or my drive wiped when I could've resolved the issue shortly after being notified of it.

In fact, I'd rather not be in a network whose owner ignores abuse and DMCA requests (or does so until being seriously pressured), given the sort of neighbours that attracts.

For the record, XTServers' and Inception Hosting's policies sound very agreeable to me. Anthony has given me a great offer; unfortunately, their datacenter's unwillingness to host Tor relays is currently not okay for me.

I ended up going with online.net's 30€/month dedicated server (that price for a good Ivy Bridge Xeon based system is just too good to pass up). I'll revisit my other options if I'm unhappy with them.

Thanks for all your replies!