Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM or XEN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM or XEN

SadySady Member

Hello Everyone,
I am in need of a virtualization on my future dedicated server.
I am thinking to go with delimeterVPS X5150.
That is really perfect to my needs & additional IP blocks are also available.
I want to ask that which virtualization will be best for Windows VMs ? As I will only host Windows VMs there.
Also let me know virtualization costs.
Thank you

Comments

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Xen, nuff said. Windows licensing costs will kill you though.

• SadySady Member

@viCommunications said:
    Xen, nuff said. Windows licensing costs will kill you though.

There is nothing to worry as my friends will use those.
    All of those have microsoft dreamspark :) So that windows license doesn't cost a single penny :)
    Can you also let me know that why Xen is better & how much will it cost ?

• Honestly, if it's for personal uses, your virtualization choice depends really on your administration style. If you like CLI-based stuff, then Xen is the easier option. However, if GUI is your ploy, install Libvirt+KVM on the dedi and virt-manager on local machine (if you run linux... windows you're SOL).

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Xen is a virtualzation technology; afaik it's free & open source. Xen is imho more stable than KVM & is more isloated like in a dedicated server environment.

• SadySady Member

@Rallias said:
    Honestly, if it's for personal uses, your virtualization choice depends really on your administration style. If you like CLI-based stuff, then Xen is the easier option. However, if GUI is your ploy, install Libvirt+KVM on the dedi and virt-manager on local machine (if you run linux... windows you're SOL).

I would really like to go with GUI if it is possible.
    But if CLI will be free or cheap than KVM so i would go with XEN for sure :)
    This is a non-profit project that is why need to cut costs as much as i can.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Do you even know what GUI & CLI mean/are?

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • SadySady Member

@viCommunications said:
    Xen is a virtualzation technology; afaik it's free & open source. Xen is imho more stable than KVM & is more isloated like in a dedicated server environment.

It means that i should go with XEN as it is free & more stable.
    If you don't mind so can you also point me to something which will guide me to set up that ? Sorry for noob question but it will be my first virtualization :D

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Both KVM and Xen are free and open source. You can install feathur (also free) so you can manage your KVM VPSes easily.

• SadySady Member

@viCommunications said:
    Do you even know what GUI & CLI mean/are?

I deserve those questions after asking those noob questions.
    Yes i know that so far as i know GUI means Graphical User Interface while CLI means Command Line Interface,
    Please correct if i am wrong.

Thanked by 1enitan092
  • BoxodeBoxode Member
    edited July 2014

If I may also ask have you ever used Linux before or know any bash commands?

Reason for asking is the installation can be a tad tricky, I suggest asking @Rallias for help and/or directions.

• SadySady Member
    edited July 2014

@viCommunications said:
    If I may also ask have you ever used Linux before or know any bash commands?

Yes, i have used linux.
    Not in personal PC so far as i am windows guy.
    But i am using that on my OpenVZ VPS & have basic knowledge of CentOS commands.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

If you are new to virtualizations and just want to set it all up quickly then I'd recommend installing Proxmox. It comes with a nice web interface where you easily could create KVM containers with.

You also could try VMWARE.

• @Mark_R said:
    If you are new to virtualizations and just want to set it all up quickly then I'd recommend installing Proxmox. It comes with a nice web interface where you easily could create KVM containers with.

+1 for Proxmox +SPICE

It is excellent.

• StephenIzzy said: I would really like to go with GUI if it is possible. But if CLI will be free or cheap than KVM so i would go with XEN for sure :) This is a non-profit project that is why need to cut costs as much as i can.

The KVM option is 'free' as well.

• If you choose between Xen and KVM, choose KVM.

• For windows, don't even touch Xen HVM. It's not worth the performance loss. KVM works so much better with Windows than Xen, and you don't have to deal with installing drivers on the (slow as all hell) box after installation. With KVM, it's so easy to get a slipstreamed MS ISO with virtio drivers, which you'll need for good performance.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited July 2014

0xdragon said: For windows, don't even touch Xen HVM. It's not worth the performance loss.

cough veridian = 1 cough

• SadySady Member

@Mark_R said:

I have searched a little bit about proxmox & found that it is open source but if you need updates so you will have to subscribe to their subscriptions.
    Is it good to go without their subscription ?

• @Rallias said:
    cough veridian = 1 cough

Sure, if your provider knows how to add it... ;)

• If you are going to host windows VMs, have you consider Hyper-V, which is Microsoft's free type 1 hypervisor?

• @StephenIzzy as Chihcherng says HyperV is probably the easiest solution is you are virtualising only Windows machines

• 0xdragon said: Sure, if your provider knows how to add it... ;)

Well? He is 'provider' in this case.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited July 2014

@StephenIzzy said:
    Is it good to go without their subscription ?

Depends on what you are going to use it for, if it is for a more personal usage then you shouldn't worry. If you plan on using it for commercial purposes then you might want to consider getting a subscription, they could release critical security updates that you possibly need.

"A Proxmox VE Subscription is an additional service program designed to help IT Professionals and businesses to keep their Proxmox VE deployments up-to-date and to provide access to professional support services. You get access to the Proxmox VE Enterprise repository with stable software updates and security enhancements, as well as to technical support and other services."

source: https://www.proxmox.com/proxmox-ve/pricing

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2014

KVM+libvirt+virt-manager and if you really want, MobaXterm with X11 forwarding for spinning up VM's through a GUI.

Even if it is for personal use still pick KVM as the performance gains are huge.

did someone drop a pin?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

AnthonySmith said: did someone drop a pin?

Lol. I look forward to your upcoming KVM Windows plans.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:

Do not hold your breath! :)

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Hi,

Install Citrix Xenserver.
    On windows installs you will get pvhvm mode, which will be HVM on PV drivers.
    We use those on SugarVPS servers.

There are 2 styles of administration. With XenCenter you will have nice gui.
    Installation is turnkey, no adjustments needed.

http://xenserver.org/overview-xenserver-open-source-virtualization/download.html

• SadySady Member

Thank you all for suggestions, these are much appreciated.
    What are your opinions about KVM with SolusVM ? I will only have to get slave license as master is already installed on an OpenVZ node.

• wojonswojons Member

I am a kvm fan for the most part i find that you can learn more from kvm and more about linux since xen has the idea of dom0 it hides alot of stuff from you and then some linux tricks works while others do not.

• SadySady Member

Is there anyone who can help me setting up Proxmox network ?
    Testing things on a temporary server, need someone to help with those :/
    How can i add a /30 block in it ?