Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZOHO vs Mail.Ru vs Yandex?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ZOHO vs Mail.Ru vs Yandex?

MichaelBuiMichaelBui Member
edited July 2014 in General

First of all, SHARING is CARING.
Second, they are best free services for custom domains after both Google and Microsoft shutdown their free services.

1. ZOHO:

• Pros: English + Lots of integrated services for your needs
    • Cons: Only 10 free accounts
  2. Yandex:

• Pros: English available + 1000 free accounts
    • Cons: Not so many integrated services (e.g: documents, calendar,...)
  3. Mail.Ru:

• Pros: 5000 free accounts + integrated with necessary services
    • Cons: Lack of English interface.

Please tell us:

• What did you choose and why?
  • What's your experience so far?
Thanked by 2Chuck cnbeining
Please share your opinion:
  1. What do you think it's the best service?29 votes
    1. ZOHO
      37.93%
    2. Yandex
      44.83%
    3. Mail.Ru
      17.24%

Comments

• namhuynamhuy Member

I dont trust any of these providers, I might setup my own mail next time

• I use ZOHO, and I'd rate it ok. Interface is a bit slow though, and a tad bit hard to navigate. Overall though not bad for a free custom domain email service.

• theduncantheduncan Member
    edited July 2014

last time I looked at zoho, what got me was that only 1 account could use smtp.

that might be Ok if you are only using the web interface, but I was looking to have servers send log reports via it.

• I won't recommend using mail.ru services. It's a pretty shitty company, nobody really likes it here in Russia. But I would recommend Yandex. You can use not only hosted mail, but hosted XMPP and DNS services too.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • CoudioCoudio Member

Yandex is better than any US hosted mail. At least you know for sure that FSB won't share whatever they have on you with NSA.

Thanked by 2tux Chuck
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

Mail.ru has a craptastic reputation indeed. Yandex are angels compared to them.

However with the current trend (Google and MS closing down their mail for domains), don't be surprised if those remaining companies do the same soon. So maybe better to skip wasting time on migration to one more "cloud service", instead just set up your own E-Mail already, and be safe and certain about the future, not under a mercy of someone else's free service.

Thanked by 1Davidx
  • I don't recommend any of them but I do recommend: protonmail.ch

Thanked by 1souen
  • @Licensecart ProtonMail is potential but it haven't supported custom domain yet. I do really hope they will support that feature in a very near future

To all: It seems that Yandex is better than Mail.Ru for sure. How about Yandex and Zoho?
    Yandex does not have documents, calendar,... but there are 1000 emails for free. That's confusing me a bit...

• Zoho. It's a professional service with extremely clean IPs and very little deliverability or related problems. The goodies such as the CRM and other integrated tools are a godsend and have always rivaled those provided by Google.

• Avoid Mail.Ru.

Others - you are free to try.

• @Licensecart said:
    I don't recommend any of them but I do recommend: protonmail.ch

Sounds interesting but they don't support custom domains. This could be a big deal if they go out of business, you won't be able to retrieve your email and will potentially lose your contacts. I created a similar thread about Yandex Mail and got some very good responses. I think you should add "self hosted" to the list of options. That's what I am looking at currently: self-hosted on own hardware with backup MX.

• @MichaelBui said:
    Licensecart ProtonMail is potential but it haven't supported custom domain yet. I do really hope they will support that feature in a very near future

To all: It seems that Yandex is better than Mail.Ru for sure. How about Yandex and Zoho?
    Yandex does not have documents, calendar,... but there are 1000 emails for free. That's confusing me a bit...

@elwebmaster said:
    Sounds interesting but they don't support custom domains. This could be a big deal if they go out of business, you won't be able to retrieve your email and will potentially lose your contacts. I created a similar thread about Yandex Mail and got some very good responses. I think you should add "self hosted" to the list of options. That's what I am looking at currently: self-hosted on own hardware with backup MX.

https://protonmail.ch/blog/indiegogo/

We’re stunned to have hit our funding goals in just 3 days, and we’re excited for the future of ProtonMail. Even though we have now hit our funding goal, there’s actually a lot more that we want to build, including mobile apps, support for custom domains, and encrypted file storage. Additional contributions past our goal will go a long way towards helping us develop those features. Thank you for making it happen!

• @Licensecart said:

We’re stunned to have hit our funding goals in just 3 days, and we’re excited for the future of ProtonMail. Even though we have now hit our funding goal, there’s actually a lot more that we want to build, including mobile apps, support for custom domains, and encrypted file storage. Additional contributions past our goal will go a long way towards helping us develop those features. Thank you for making it happen!

Sounds good. What about S/MIME? Without S/MIME support emails will be intercepted on the way to ProtonMail. In fact, the way they present themselves I can tell you this is a honeypot for NSA. They must have already placed interceptors at the carrier level for all packets headed to ProtonMail servers before they reach Switzerland.

• This thread is going a bit out of topic. Please do share your experiences with those 3 services so me (and newbies) can choose better. Thanks in advance ;)

• MichaelBui said: Please do share your experiences with those 3 services so me (and newbies) can choose better. Thanks in advance ;)

Well, if i were you, i'd give a try for Zoho. It's not big, but most probably will respect your privacy and provide good service. And, NSA usually are not interested to monitor little companies/businesses, so it should be NSA-safe :)