Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

DNS structure
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS structure

GiulioGiulio Member

Hi,
i have two vps and one domain. I'm going to configure bind on the two vps in order to make them primary and secondary name servers (because my provider actually support dnssec as a registrar but doesn't with his free dns hosting). The problem is that on the same vps that will be nameservers i will install the main webserver and other services (jabber, mail). So i should set on the provider the VPS ip (and not hostname because they're on the same domain they will host) as nameservers, right? Is there any problem on having other services running with the same domain on the nameserver?

Comments

• Hi, I don't think there is any issue in doing that. You can register the ip of primary name server as child name server on your domain registrar and use the same ip to run other services say web server, mails, FTP etc.

• ben78ben78 Member

Would work, but you'd be probably better having your primary dns on the vps where your site isn't hosted. That way, if your main VPS goes down, you can easily change your 'IN A' record to point to your second VPS or any other backup plan...

Thanked by 1linuxthefish