Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free beta IPv6 VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free beta IPv6 VPS

AmfyAmfy Member
edited June 2012 in Offers

I'm Amfy, a 17 year old nerd that lives in the south of Germany. I'm doing stuff with Linux since I'm 12 or 13. Besides Linux, I love the whole computer world. I like to code in PHP and also know a little Ruby. Today (6th of June - Somehow this date is related to IPv6 I think) I want to offer you a free VPS as I want to gain more knowledge on administrating Linux servers. You can simply help me by getting a VPS and testing it.
Of course my money is limited so it's only possible that you get a VPS that is reachable over IPv6 - but that's still better than nothing - isn't it?

http://amfy.nerdsein.org/ipv6/ (I go to bed in some minutes, so I think you will get your VPS tomorrow)

I would be happy for getting some reviews after a couple of tests :)

Comments

• VDS6 sells VPS with IPv6 for literally a dollar, I listed them on my site with a coupan for 70cents for 3 months I think.

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: VDS6 sells VPS with IPv6 for literally a dollar, I listed them on my site with a coupan for 70cents for 3 months I think.

Nice to know, but I never wanted to beat anyone - just want to have a node with some users to make more experience...

• Ahh sorry about that, thought you wanted a free VPS for studying, didn't realize you were giving one away.

• @taipres said: VDS6 sells VPS with IPv6 for literally a dollar, I listed them on my site with a coupan for 70cents for 3 months I think.

Well this is literally a dollar cheaper!

Not only that, but I'm sure VDS6 were listed on LowEndBox sometime in December - and you haven't made a post to your forbidden love child for nearly a month.
    Not frequent at all.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@ElliotJ said: Not only that, but I'm sure VDS6 were listed on LowEndBox sometime in December - and you haven't made a post to your forbidden love child for nearly a month.

Not frequent at all.

Deal is old on my site but still cheaper than one on LEB I do believe. But yeah I haven't updated my site in a while, there's a reason for that i'm not getting into. @Amfy I think it's awesome you're giving away a free VPS, people like you really make communities grow and flourish.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • Should be a great way to learn. Good luck!

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • Can i get a "Thanked by (1): Amfy" too? :)

Also i'd like to help you testing but i don't really know what i could to with an IPv6-only VPS.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • Where is it located and does it still have access to ipv4 on the local box. (I understand to reach it I will have ipv6 but can I get to ipv4 address from the vps its self?).

• SpiritSpirit Member

@TheLinuxBug said: (...can I get to ipv4 address from the vps its self?).

Shouldn't be right opposite? :)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2012

Um, for example, with valueservers free ipv6 deal, you get ONLY ipv6 access, all of your repositories need to be on ipv6 or they will be unusable. My question is although I will have to use an ipv6 address to access the vps, do you have access to ipv4 via nat on the server, or is it also restricted to ipv6 connectivity as well?

• Sent you an email.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2012

For those who are okay with their VPS being IPv6-only (this is perfectly okay for IRC, all major networks are on IPv6!!), and do not mind paying a bit to receive service from a professional company and a real datacenter, there's https://www.fitvps.com/members/cart.php for $3/quarter or $1.20/month. I use them for a long time, it's a very nice service with surprisingly stable connectivity, despite being in Bulgaria (and on the shore of the Black Sea, that's almost Middle East already :P). I think it's a much more interesting offer than the one from VDS6 (the usual OpenVZ instead of weird and limited FreeBSD Jails).
    Stock is a bit low though, so you might have to PM @rds100 so that he adds more.
    @Amfy hope you don't mind that I mention this here. :)

• rds100rds100 Member

@rm_ yes, we keep low/no stock on these usually but if anyone from LET is interested please PM me and i will add some stock for you. The exact url should be this - the offer is hidden and is not visible if you just go directly to the site.

• I emailed @Amfy for a free vps and got one very quick. The vps runs debian 6. control panel is on a ipv4.

Thanks for the offer. Really appreciate it.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @Amfy what server are you running this on? just curious

• AmfyAmfy Member

@djvdorp said: what server are you running this on? just curious

A Pentium G630T, 8GB RAM, 2*320GB

• @Amfy said: A Pentium G630T, 8GB RAM, 2*320GB

Hetzner or something?

• AmfyAmfy Member

@djvdorp said: Hetzner or something?

Nope, a small German ISP. DC in Duesseldof. Why are you be interested? :P