Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quarter Servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quarter Servers?

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited June 2012 in General

Would anyone be interested in "quarter servers":

Basically a large portion of a server in a KVM wrapper,
2 Dedicated Cores
4 GB of RAM
250 GB of Storage
5 TB of bandwidth on 100 mbps or possibly 1 gbps
for $29 - $35 a month?

Comments

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

Dual processor quad cores actually.

• @Jack so a quarter is 1/3? DERP

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I've got something like that at 64u.com. I like how he does it with the SSD + storage. I think I'd prefer KVM though. Cool thing is you wouldn't need a big demand to see a return so long as pricing is appropriate.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited June 2012

Might be interested in this.

What would the location be? And how would the storage be setup on the node?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited June 2012

Probably California with 1 gbps... Although we may roll it out in other locations eventually.

Node side it'd be raid10 (4 x 1 TB RE4s) - So assuming equal Hard drive use, the lowest any one of the 4 machines should get is 80 MB/s dedicated I/O...

• AsadAsad Member

California.. I'm from the UK so that would probably be bad for me right?

My Illinois node from you guys is great.

• yomeroyomero Member

< derail>
    In the meanwhile, the kvm node VPS1 is performing like crap...
    < /derail>

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

@yomero said: In the meanwhile, the kvm node VPS1 is performing like crap...

and you've filed a ticket about that right? and you've posted benchmarks in that ticket right?

@AsadHaider - That said your ping would probably be about 15 - 20 ms higher. So it depends on what your going to do with it... Setup a cpanel server? not gonna feel it. Setup a minecraft server? yeah your gonna feel the difference on that one...

• NickMNickM Member

Count me in as "Interested" for some time in the future.

• AsadAsad Member

@BlueVM Yeah, would probably stick Windows/IIS on there for hosting .net applications.

Send me a message if you go ahead with something like this, I'd be interested in getting one. How soon would these available be to buy?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

We were thinking Monday or Tuesday, but only if there's actual demand...

• AsadAsad Member

Will probably get one towards the end of the month if you have any then, any ETA on backup space? I'm away next week to London, so won't really be able to order anything.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

Uhm ruffly the same time?

• yomeroyomero Member

@BlueVM
    Of course I did. Now my ticket has been "in progress" since two days ago

To clarify my position, I want this but wouldn't buy it for at least a month. If you're measuring interest by this thread.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

@jarland - Alright, thanks!

@yomero - PM me your ticket # or hop on our IRC and we'll take a look.

• vanarpvanarp Member

Wondering what would be good use cases for such a server config?

• vanarpvanarp Member

@vanarp said: Wondering what would be good use cases for such a server config?

Was that such an ignorant question that nobody answers?

Well it's kind of like asking what the use would be for a middle grade dedicated server. Could literally be anything.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

@vanarp said: Was that such an ignorant question that nobody answers?

Well no, I just can't speak for other people... It'd be a good game server or a good cpanel server. In reality it'd be a good just about anything :P

• vedranvedran Veteran

What CPU? 2 dedicated core meaning you'd be able to have any CPU load you want for any time?

Basically, everything is dedicated except disk I/O and network?

• If it was in the EU i would buy it for my Gameservers

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited June 2012

It'd be 2 cores @ 2.5 Ghz per core... if you use 100% of both cores that's fine.

• The disk is limited to 50 MB/s or 100 IOPS.
    • You would get 100 Mbps guaranteed for the network... use it at 100% until you run up to the limit.

We're working on servers in Europe, but finding colo inside of our price range that isn't OVH/other crap DC, is pretty difficult.

--
    Side question: Would anyone "complain" if we posted the offer on LEB/LET as a dedi (with the disclosure that its not 100%, but its as close as you can get)?

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@BlueVM said: Side question: Would anyone "complain" if we posted the offer on LEB/LET as a dedi (with the disclosure that its not 100%, but its as close as you can get)?

Someone will always find something to complain about. :p

• @BlueVM

It's nice to see that your thinking of new and different ways to expand your product range. I'm sure that this would be very useful to many people who need some dedicated resources for some heavier applications etc.

I agree with @joodle though, I would love it if you could expand your offerings to the EU!

You might be able to get a new criteria category on LEB if you push with this idea :)

• JacobJacob Member

I doubt the current BlueVM Offerings could be achieved in Europe when starting from new. Hardware costs more in Europe, you can add a extra 10-15% for just that alone.

I am sure alot of people would be interested in a Semi-Dedicated at a Lowend price. :-)

@titanicsaled said: I agree with @joodle though, I would love it if you could expand your offerings to the EU!

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

@BlueVM said: Side question: Would anyone "complain" if we posted the offer on LEB/LET as a dedi (with the disclosure that its not 100%, but its as close as you can get)?

No one will complain, it just wont be allowed, rules are rules. Unless you have special permission which I or the other moderators don't know of. It has to be a VPS, under $7. I'd think dedicated servers under $7 would be allowed too but meh, when will that ever happen..

Thanked by 2Corey rm_
  • JacobJacob Member
    edited June 2012

It will happen when Microscopic Dedicated Servers are invented, And when a ethernet cable will be the size of dental floss.

Or another Kimsufi company comes along..

@Infinity said: No one will complain, it just wont be allowed, rules are rules. Unless you have special permission which I or the other moderators don't know of. It has to be a VPS, under $7. I'd think dedicated servers under $7 would be allowed too but meh, when will that ever happen..

Thanked by 2DeletedUser Infinity
  • @Infinity said: I'd think dedicated servers under $7 would be allowed too but meh, when will that ever happen..

Actually if i remember correctly @Chief said that he also wanted to start doing dedi offers. But i might be mistaken

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

The only thing that isn't "truely dedicated" about these offers is the fact that it's one box, everything on that box is limited so that if your slice of it is hammered, it doesn't effect the use of other clients. If it has the specs of a dedicated and a full layer of separation it is a dedi...