Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fraud Prevention - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fraud Prevention

12346»

Comments

• subigosubigo Member

I just realized @taipres is actually a puppet account made by someone at BuyVM. It's an easy way to have every topic end in a conversation about BuyVM.

Thanked by 2Aldryic HalfEatenPie
  • lbftlbft Member

@Francisco said: I've always wondered where there wasn't a database of known datacenter IP ranges in a DNSBL? Would really chop down a lot of the potential issues

Maybe one of the peer to peer blocklists could be adapted for the purpose? Dunno what the accuracy would be like, though.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited June 2012

@Kenshin said: Aldryic has been behaving like this in LET for months

One small thing to notice is that while I do enjoy a good bait and switch, it's not a consistent ploy. There are only a small handful of users that I'll bother to employ the tactic against, and each of them for a reason. The original was "dr"mike, who felt a need to spread lies about me hating on cripples (seriously, what?). Maounique, the guy with a serious love of anonymity, who took my 'privacy != anonymity' stance as a huge personal offense, and spend the next month trying to troll myself and the company about TOR. Subigo, who's ego and tendency to look down his nose at anyone with a different opinion, repeatedly took shots against BuyVM (and only later against me personally). And dear old taipres, whose first appearance was insulting the entire comminuty (and persisted in such until his second "apology"), is remarkably unaware of the fact that very few people appreciate his drama and straight-up lies.

I've had some smaller scuffs with others, most of the time those are easily resolved with a laugh or two.

@Kenshin said: As for the VPS6 part

I would suggest going through the VPS6 threads rather than taking his word on me "trashing" other companies. My entire issue with the VPS6 business was how poorly Jeremy handled the PR... he could've easily ended the entire thing on day one, and it was the standoffish (lack of?) approach that caused all of the suspicion and doubt. You'll note that once we got a solid explanation for what was going on, those threads pretty much died (save for a certain someone bringing up unrelated drama).

@Kenshin said: His post in a CVPS thread could have sparked off "war" if taken the wrong way considering his history of posts involving CVPS

@CVPS_Chris and I get along rather well now. We originally had a pretty bad start due to some commentary made and our very conflicting attitudes; but with that straightened out, we have no issues with each other. My comment on his thread was nothing but compliment; Chris is stepping up and offering new features that nobody else does.

@Kenshin said: I'm sure you and Aldryic can work in this direction as well if BOTH of you just put in a little bit more effort like I mentioned in my TL/DR.

It's more than possible, aye. The primary issue is that one half of the equation is "never wrong", which leads to any corrections (example: how GeoDNS and ISP DHCP works) I make, or input I give (why bitcoin makes it easier for repeat offenders to get service) will not be taken for the attempt at providing helpful info that it is, and rather seen as some sort of personal attack. And the vast majorities of the replies I get from him, regardless of the content of my post, are either 1) unrelated to the subject matter, 2) base insults, 3) poor attempts to twist my wording (see the amusing "technical skills" bit).

My own tl;dr - I don't waste my time dealing with his nonsense unless it's directly related to myself or BuyVM now. Take this thread for example. This entire mess started from his wanting to know what Francisco and myself brought in for income. Fran deflected the question once, I made a joking statement that he would have to work for me to know those numbers, and everyone knew the chances of that happening :P

He then proceeds with this comment, and a string of poorly executed attacks against myself. Pretty much every episode we've had follows this formula. If he wants to play that game with me/BuyVM, that's fine, I have no problem dangling the eloquence carrot in front of his eyes, and leading him in a circle like a well-trained mule. His actions only serve to show himself for a fool, and eventually he'll learn that he'd be much better off by simply not trying to pick fights anymore.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldyric fraud prevention thread.... people come here to read about fraud prevention not read you arguing with @taipres ... I am officially annoyed.

• @Corey said: I am officially annoyed.

Then be annoyed at the one stirring up drama, not the one responding in stinging defense. :P

I've listed quite a few very helpful tips/tricks regarding fraud prevention (in this thread and others). It is rather sad how quickly the threads deteriorate after some punk butthurt over being corrected decides to make a personal crusade, though.

• CoreyCorey Member

@aldryic I appreciate your response on fraud prevention. It's given me tons of ideas.

• TazTaz Member

Classic LET drama. Guess we will see another DDOS thread soon (JK JK JK)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Aldryic said: @CVPS_Chris and I get along rather well now. We originally had a pretty bad start due to some commentary made and our very conflicting attitudes; but with that straightened out, we have no issues with each other. My comment on his thread was nothing but compliment; Chris is stepping up and offering new features that nobody else does.

I printed this out and hung it on my fridge haha :-D

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: Chris is stepping up and offering new features that nobody else does.

Wait wut? As I understand it, he has offered DNS in SolusVM, Something that I offered back in April http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2183/free-forward-dns-to-all-existing-clients

Now, I do applaud him for expanding the features of his service, so I'm not knocking on him at all.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • SatelliteSatellite Member
    edited June 2012

Please get more Charlotte KVM servers @miTgiB :(

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@miTgiB said: Wait wut? As I understand it, he has offered DNS in SolusVM, Something that I offered back in April http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2183/free-forward-dns-to-all-existing-clients

Now, I do applaud him for expanding the features of his service, so I'm not knocking on him at all.

I think he was going towards the monitoring solution, as I dont really know anyone that does it but I may be wrong.

• @Corey said: What steps do you guys take to prevent fraud? We have maxmind going with a low value set - but the fraudsters keep getting through! The fraud has been really bad recently.

here's the link my.frantech.ca/cart.php?a=aldryic&pid=007&mission=fraudprotection

Please use "KILL'EM'ALL" coupon code and get Metallica first album directly from Pony Stores (sponsored by FranRecord™)

• CoreyCorey Member

@Mon5t3r ... really >.>

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@CVPS_Chris said: as I dont really know anyone that does it but I may be wrong.

I don't know who still uses HyperVM, but it is a feature of it

• @Corey said: ... really >.>

absolutely not... ... since it's out of stock...

i'm on their waiting list.. ( # 1820 )

• m using 2co fraud protection, But Wat About Other Payment Gateways Like Paypal.

• lbftlbft Member

@miTgiB said: As I understand it, he has offered DNS in SolusVM

ChicagoVPS's forward DNS is integrated with their WHMCS, not with Solus. It's got a simple look that makes me think it was a custom job.