Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fraud Prevention - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fraud Prevention

Comments

• @taipres said: And yet you work for a VPS company?

Yup. I know my way around linux rather well (particularly debian and gentoo), and I'm no stranger to managing openvz via commandline. Fran's simply far better, and more experienced than I am.

Amusing how you take "A is better than B", and automatically assume B to be worthless. Oh, wait, I'm sorry, you weren't actually trying to make any valid points, you were just hoping for any cheap excuse to try and insult me :P

@taipres said: ell me, what exactly is your specialty at BuyVM?

Billing, Policy Creation/Enforcement, Fraud Prevention, handling Abuse reports.. this list goes on for a bit. I also help deal with minor PR when Fran's tied up, and provide the 'bad guy/hardass' to balance out his overwhelming generosity.

@taipres said: Since apparently you're self admittedly not very technical

It amuses me that, even with it being my third language, I have a better grasp of English than you seem to. Except... yeah, that's right, you're just trying to twist anything I say to use it as an insult :P

@taipres said: Francisco is doing the programming and sounds like a lot of other of the grunt work.

Anything dealing with networking, routing, Stallion, etc, Francisco handles. Anthony takes care of the actual nodes, and anything that falls under 'internal services' (WHMCS, mail, etc) is my domain. Francisco and I also provide Anthony with custom scripts (bash, php, perl) to help automate/batch and make his work easier.

@Francisco said: Seriously, fuck right off.

Pretty bad when the man whose ass you try to kiss to make me look worse is tired of your shit as well, @taipres. Perhaps just take the hint?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@taipres said: @Francisco I think you need to read your employees remarks before you try and blame it on me. You and I have spoken about this many times in PM, so I don't get why you're changing your tune up now. If he's not technical then tell him to stop arguing about things he doesn't understand, real simple.

Aldryic has a loud mouth when he wants to, I've never denied this. My point is that you won't leave things alone. This all stemmed because you tried to justify bitcoin as a good payment method.

The OP asked for help and Aldryic has offered it, as have I.

Francisco

• TazTaz Member

@taipres Wht admins are on payroll not the mods. Sometimes they can be a bit of stupid but 93% time they are good.Specially the way these threads keeps getting offtopic, need some strong mod BRO.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Francisco I've given advice to OP as well, and show me where i've mentioned bitcoin in this thread? I haven't, so clearly i'm not the one carrying things over, once again unjustified blame put on myself, when you know where it belongs.

@NinjaHawk said: @taipres Wht admins are on payroll not the mods. Sometimes they can be a bit of stupid but 93% time they are good.Specially the way these threads keeps getting offtopic, need some strong mod BRO.

I couldn't see the admins not getting paid honestly. The site makes bank and the admins are usaully on there through-out the day

Fran

@taipres said: @Francisco I've given advice to OP as well, and show me where i've mentioned bitcoin in this thread? I haven't, so clearly i'm not the one carrying things over, once again unjustified blame put on myself, when you know where it belongs.

Then it was in another thread, I know I saw you talking about bitcoin.

Francisco

• @taipres said: once again unjustified blame put on myself, when you know where it belongs.

In your ass, or down your throat. I can't decide which would silence you quicker. Next comes the waterworks, and when you're done bawling we'll be looking at another "apology" thread.

What really amuses me is, even when plenty of other users start chiming in about being sick of your shit, you still don't take the hint.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

****> @Aldryic said: In your ass, or down your throat. I can't decide which would silence you quicker. Next comes the waterworks, and when you're done bawling we'll be looking at another "apology" thread.

What really amuses me is, even when plenty of other users start chiming in about being sick of your shit, you still don't take the hint.

Go ahead and blame me for that too Francisco, that vulgar, over the top insulting language coming yet again from your employee.

Anyway @OP the best way to prevent fraud is manually approval combined with automated methods that check as many factors as possible. Any inconsistencies

2)Also as I said make friends with other providers you trust and work out a deal where you can share info on fraudsters, IP etc...

3)Keep good stats- if most your scammers/fraud comes from 1 city/region/country then you want to evaluate how much of net loss/gain you're get by not accepting certain/all payments methods through there

4)If your fraud check methods detect anyone, maybe force them to have to do additional steps similar to paypal to proceed.

5)Naturally ban public proxies, VPN, Tor, etc...or if you don't want to outright ban give the user other options that require more steps or limit methods they can use. You can also port scan em if you want, look for SSH, Socks, HTTP proxy etc...

6)Use efnet and similar ban lists against your customers IP, it's mostly proxies but also has abusers, which is good if you allow IRC and don't want your ips blacklisted later.

7) this is controversal but you can check IPs via quering various seedboxes, so if you see your customer downloading illegal torrents maybe want to watch them to avoid piracy stuff on your boxes, can also ban public seed boxes and tons other things regarding that.

It goes on and on just use your brain and research on google, lot of methods that combined can help a lot.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • TazTaz Member

@Francisco The amount of money inet makes, they should start paying those mods aswell. But they need to either loose up a bit or fire some mods. I would love to see things a bit more organized and clear ( rules). As some of their policies are a bit shabby.

@taipres - I've always wondered where there wasn't a database of known datacenter IP ranges in a DNSBL? Would really chop down a lot of the potential issues. It won't stop res lines but everything helps.

Francisco

• subigosubigo Member

LET threads are hilarious.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

tl;dr.

@subigo what is boxctrl se?

• subigosubigo Member
    edited June 2012

@netomx said: @subigo what is boxctrl se?

Just a simple script for managing a few linux services: http://imgur.com/a/g90kr

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"I want to apologize to the LET community..."

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@raindog308 said: "I want to apologize to the LET community..."

@taipres in about 3 days.

I'm not the one that owes this community an apology, Aldryic is, his language is over the top, inappropriate, vulgar, and highly immature. He also offers very little to most threads IMHO, unless you consider derails to be of value...remember he's not very technical and this forums focus is typical tech related questions.

Also I find it interesting you think apology threads are amusing, real men aren't afraid to apologize when they feel they're in the wrong, maybe one day you'll learn that. Or maybe you won't, some people never learn.

• @taipres said: real men aren't afraid to apology when they feel they're in the wrong

(earlier in this thread, directed to subigo)

@Aldryic said: Not too shabby, sir. You know, I do find it much easier to take some of what you say seriously now that you've given some details on the situation :P To that effect, I can't remember if I've called BS at all when you were vague before on working, but if so then I apologize for it.

We're still waiting on an actual apology from you that is more than poor attempts to excuse your behavior. Won't happen, though. That 'real man' bit is beyond your grasp, and you would have to swallow far too much pride to reach it.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldryic said: We're still waiting on an actual apology from you that is more than poor attempts to excuse your behavior. Won't happen, though. That 'real man' bit is beyond your grasp, and you would have to swallow far too much pride to reach it.

I assure you, even though you try and act like it, you are by no stretch of the imagination the community voice or leader, so the "we" and "we're" type language has gotten rather old. Also this may surprise you but I know for a fact there are people on this forum they aren't a fan of your "i'm better than everyone" attitude. Yes it's true...believe it or not... because that too gets rather old. Yeah sure you have some that kiss up to you (probably in hopes for a BuyVM related hookup) but that in itself doesn't justify nor excuse the language you use, or the constant threads you derail. I understand english isn't your native language, I get it, but take my advice, as someone who is a native english speaker, using profanity because you're unable to articulate your thoughts in a proper manner is not the way. Now I ask you kindly, please stop derailing the OP's thread, his question was genuine and it didn't deserve to be derailed because you wanted to throw a tantrum. I'm done here. @Op I hope the tips I shared were somewhat helpful.

• @taipres said: I assure you, even though you try and act like it, you are by no stretch of the imagination the community voice or leader,

I don't have to be any kind of leader to put voice to what many feel. And indeed, there have been plenty enough folks telling you off now that I'm surprised you even bothered trying to use this excuse again.

@taipres said: Yeah sure you have some that kiss up to you (probably in hopes for a BuyVM related hookup)

Doubtful. Anyone familiar with BuyVM knows we don't do special deals. We don't even do discounts or coupons; and if someone's trying to kiss up to a staff member, then they surely picked the wrong one.

@taipres said: but that in itself doesn't justify nor excuse the language you use

My sympathies if my linguist acuity has rendered a sizable portion of my discourse arduous for you; however, your deficit of comprehensive discernment is an issue that you must rectify on your own. I will not resort to mono-syllabics to sate your malnourished command of your own native tongue.

@taipres said: or the constant threads you derail.

And here you go with your lies again. It's like dealing with another drmike, only far less intelligent.

@taipres said: but take my advice, as someone who is a native english speaker

I do believe I covered that topic already.

@taipres said: using profanity because you're unable to articulate your thoughts in a proper manner is not the way

Articulate, very good! I did not know you had it in you.

Let me reverse that one to you. Using base lies and ignoring valid points does nothing but show your own ignorance; a skill you have honed quite well.

@taipres said: please stop derailing the OP's thread

I've answered OP several times over. If you wish derailment to halt, then stop making snide remarks about myself or BuyVM in every other post, thinking that you can just insult whomever you please.

@taipres said: I'm done here

No, you're not. You never could be, because as a simple child you will find the mere fact that I replied with logic and called out your lies to be irresistible. Whether here or in other posts, you will continue to make pathetic attempts at insults in the hopes of stirring up more of your personal drama. Pretty much the only person blind to your ignorance, is you.

Of course, you can choose to simply 'be the bigger man', not throw another tantrum and try to spread lies about another user, and just walk away. In which case, I will consider accepting your apology.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Wow, there's so much love between @Aldryic and @taipres ... now kiss!!! =***********

Thanked by 2Dilt [Deleted User]
  • ZiggaZigga Member

@Aldryic said: My sympathies if my linguist acuity has rendered a sizable portion of my discourse arduous for you; however, your deficit of comprehensive discernment is an issue that you must rectify on your own. I will not resort to mono-syllabics to sate your malnourished command of your own native tongue.

I swear this needs to be on a plaque some where!

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

Mother of Servers. @Aldryic you got some vocabulary there.

• Considering the mods aren't clamping down on the language, can we all just grow up and take it that this isn't professional forum, and that profanities are simply just words that express the person's displeasure in an excessive way? I take it that anyone else is allowed the use of such language and it's not just an Aldryic special privilege.

@taipres you generally have valid points, and I probably agree with some of them but the rate you're escalating holding your stance into direct attacks at Aldryic simply because his generally rude/insulting/playful tone is not helping yourself nor LET nor the other members reading it. My guess for the reason Francisco isn't doing anything about Aldryic's rude/insulting/playful behaviour, it's simply how Aldryic is. If LET was a fully professional forum, then sure, his behaviour is unacceptable. But the mood is much lighter in LET and I can pretty much say that 70% of the time he's using the language you aren't exactly fond of, it's just a personal means of expression, and the other 30% of the time he's just screwing with you. Note that he doesn't just do that to you, he does that to a lot of other people as well, so it's not exclusively at you but that's simply how he is.

Both taipres and Aldryic have their points, and open discussion/debate is generally a nice read for me, even with the crude jokes slotted in.

TL;DR;

@taipres ignore Aldryic's tone and you'll see Aldryic is just standing by his view most of the time, just write objectively instead of bringing up history or attacking outside of scope. We'll (LET readers) appreciate it much more.
    @Aldryic come on give taipres a break with the jabs. He's biting doesn't mean you gotta do it all the time.

PS I'm not taking sides, I actually like reading their banter (minus the attacks) but it's getting worse so I thought I'll "try" to write something.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Kenshin said: @Aldryic come on give taipres a break with the jabs. He's biting doesn't mean you gotta do it all the time.

You say that like you're giving him credit for accomplishing something. So Let me make this clear I have nothing against Aldryic, he doesn't bother me in the least, not him or his words. And many times I ignore his spam, as it's usually off topic, irrelevant, and serves very little purpose. Sometimes however I do feel it necessary to address some things for the sake of other readers. Why yourself and Francisco(based off our PMs) however think this guy is some kind of wizard at baiting/making people play to his tune is beyond me though. Even if I could entertain the notion that Aldryic and his classless over the top profanity and antics somehow could bait me into responding to things, it wouldn't last long, because i'd just be lieing to myself. To be honest Kenshin i'm much more inclined to respond to posts like yours because you wrote it with maturity, and even if I didn't agree with you, out of respect, i'd be hard for me not to answer.

with that said I do agree with most of what you wrote, so thanks for taking the time.

• The fact that you responded the way you did (and Aldryic smiling to himself behind his monitor/keyboard) I think he deserves the credit. This is from my view as a 3rd party, I don't know Aldryic nor yourself. Believe me, I know how often you avoid the bait from Aldryic, I read almost every single one of your post as well as his, simply because I find it entertaining to listen from both sides purely due to content. You have your view, he has his, and while posting both of you tend to leak out interesting information (which I like :D).

Having been in customer service for over 10 years and my experience with running a large forum (with profanities allowed) full of 10-30 year olds, I've seen many people who behave like Aldryic who aren't stupid, pretty smart in fact, but their behaviour is just like that and if I look past the vocabulary and tone, there's weight in the content so I find these people get grossly misinterpreted by the rest of the community that doesn't appreciate the content itself but dwell more in the use of words/tone. Baiting people is probably just part of his "community involvement" style to draw out some fun, generally no harm intended. I'm just second-guessing from experience, but hopefully it's true since it's a much lesser evil compared to baiting to fulfil self-ego which I'm sure Francisco would have stepped in by then.

Again, I appreciate you reading my post and responding. I was taking a gamble by posting my reply since I'm a nobody here and both yourself or Aldryic are much more active and respected.

Thanked by 1taipres

@taipres said: Why yourself and Francisco(based off our PMs) however think this guy is some kind of wizard at baiting/making people play to his tune is beyond me though.

Check how many posts you've made today.

Now, check how many of them weren't replying or taking a swipe at Aldryic.

Now that you see it's a 20:1 or higher ratio, by all means, keep believing he isn't a professional at this.

I'm trying to get you to finally realize it like @CVPS_Chris did. You're getting baited so easily and he doesn't even have to try.

Fran

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Francisco said: Check how many posts you've made today.

Now, check how many of them weren't replying or taking a swipe at Aldryic.

Now that you see it's a 20:1 or higher ratio, by all means, keep believing he isn't a professional at this.

I'm trying to get you to finally realize it like @CVPS_Chris did. You're getting baited so easily and he doesn't even have to try.

Fran

I can't help the fact Aldryic is obsessed with me, or the fact that sometimes it's necessary to address some of the things he says. But no he's by no means a professional just an attention seeker who does any and everything to acquire it. Even still i'm not going to let him sit there and bash quality companies like VPS6, so that google can cache his trash and an unknowing potential customer who was just researching VPS6 before buying could come across it and take it as fact, without me chiming in truth. He's hazardous IMHO and it's unfortunate you have no control over your staff.

@taipres said: I can't help the fact Aldryic is obsessed with me, or the fact that sometimes it's necessary to address some of the things he says

I'm not reading the rest of your tripe so i'll just work off this

Haha no no...

See, he has put in a full day shift as his full time job and handled all of todays billing tickets, handled our IRC where he was needed, handled some other forums we post on, etc.

You're a cat toy to him and he has to spend so little of his time keeping you in full hulk mode.

Really, learn from Chris, just shrug it off and you'll just enjoy the community a lot more. Yes, there are trolls on here, half the stuff posted on here is that. The difference is Aldryic has been around the internet for far too long and simply knows how to do it better - he was paid to screw with peoples minds.

You can continue, but all it does is shows you can't handle it.

Why not go post some new artciles to cheapvps, it needs 'em.

Francisco

• @Francisco well he has accomplished one thing at least, he has you wrapped around his finger, i'd imagine he calls the shots at BuyVM for the most part too. You know we've spoken about you being a nice guy and not letting people walk over you, but that's fine. Is what it is, you can defend Aldryic all you like, even act like him more if you want, more power to you, and I hope you have continued success. Since you didn't bother to read the rest of what I said however, I won't bother to read the rest of what you said, have a nice night.

@taipres said: @Francisco well he has accomplished one thing at least, he has you wrapped around his finger, i'd imagine he calls the shots at BuyVM for the most part too.

Lordy not this shit again.

Each staffer has their section, I call the shots where i'm marked to. Infact, Pony answers to a higher figure within the company, we all do. I'm the owner but the whole staff knows who wears the pants in this relationship, Karen.

Francisco

• Sigh, must we go through all of this again, no less in someone elses' thread?

Aldryic = Aldryic. BuyVM = BuyVM. Aldryic != BuyVM or vice versa.
    Your rebuttal will likely be that he works for BuyVM, so he represents them. Fair enough, see below.

Aldryic has been behaving like this in LET for months, yet BuyVM is still sold out and both of them claim the company is profitable. Effectively this means that regardless of how Aldryic behaves it doesn't affect BuyVM monetarily. On a company level decision, there should be no need for any action since it doesn't affect BuyVM. So effectively, Aldryic = Aldryic != BuyVM.

Take BuyVM away from Aldryic's posts and things will be easier between the two of you (I hope). He's representing himself, if you have a problem, it's with him, not BuyVM.

As for the VPS6 part, I doubt it's ever going to end between the two of you. It's simply two difference stances, and there's no way to clear it out and only time will tell considering there has been positive activity in that direction recently. The less either of you mention VPS6, the better for Google and VPS6. So if you really want to help VPS6, stop bringing it up already before Aldryic continues his point of view and it gets cached more. We all know your VPS6 VPS is running well and that's the most important evidence you have, use just that and not drag everything else in.

Below is a classic example of how things can get worse very quickly.

@Aldryic said: Grats to Chris and Jeremiah for being innovative and bring extra features to their clients. Keep up the good work, gents. :P

His post in a CVPS thread could have sparked off "war" if taken the wrong way considering his history of posts involving CVPS, but I'm pretty thankful it didn't. Most providers wouldn't have had their hands in that thread if this was WHT, but I guess it's a good day and everyone is thinking positively.

Regardless of his true intention of the post (flamebait or otherwise), Chris responded with a simple thanks. Everything went well and I think it was good for both Aldryic, Chris as well as the LET community as a whole. I'm sure you and Aldryic can work in this direction as well if BOTH of you just put in a little bit more effort like I mentioned in my TL/DR.