Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fraud Prevention - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fraud Prevention

Comments

• subigosubigo Member

@NinjaHawk said: @subigo Do you have the link available by anychance? (Can pm me if you want).

Can I assume that a paid version is coming out very soon?

Of VZ or SE? I'll upload it somewhere when I get home. No paid version coming out... the people who bought it are having me develop it for their use only. Someone can fork the old version and charge for it though.

• TazTaz Member

@subigo I see.
    I might have the SE some where, Would appreciate if you can shoot me both of em.

• debugdebug Member

I remember reading that you were gonna do a Debian setup for it. Was it canned? If so I'll write one up quick (actually installed BoxCtrl-VZ on a debian Burst.net dedi I just got)

• subigosubigo Member

@NinjaHawk said: I might have the SE some where, Would appreciate if you can shoot me both of em.

Here's a copy of SE: http://splot.cc/E0wkEOyh_boxctrlse-1.01.zip

VZ is on backup drive that I won't have access to until after the weekend.

@debug said: I remember reading that you were gonna do a Debian setup for it. Was it canned? If so I'll write one up quick (actually installed BoxCtrl-VZ on a debian Burst.net dedi I just got)

I never got around to it, because I never had an actual client request it.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2012

There is no 100% prefect system, It's hell !

• debugdebug Member

Mind if I upload it @subigo ?

• Manual provisioning over here.

When a client orders they input there details, we receive them. We check the order IP against GeoIP and Maxmind and if everything is correct we fill out the entered details in our billing system and an invoice is generated.

Once they pay, the system then checks the details on file against the details of the PayPal account.

It sounds like a lot of work but it actually only takes us about 10 minutes to provision an account.

We used to offer automatic setup, but with SolusVM assigning duplicate IPs and fraudsters getting through and flooding from the VPS etc whilst your in bed im glad we swapped to manual.

Its nice to deliver a fully working VPS that you have checked your self, clients receiving something broken because of SolusVM/WHMCS is never a good first impression.

• RandyRandy Member

muanal checks can be bypassed. spend a few bucks to get max mind its worth it! you will thank me when u have a charge back

• @Randy said: muanal checks can be bypassed. spend a few bucks to get max mind its worth it! you will thank me when u have a charge back

No, manual checks are far better than automated checks.. And we do use Maxmind as mentioned above as well as other resources, much better than one Maxmind check.

• CoreyCorey Member

Someone suggested maxmind phone verification..... can't a fraudster just use google phone services?

Recently the fraud has been coming from people with a US based ISP address and with the same name as on the paypal account. Idk how to tell?

• TazTaz Member

Thanks @subigo.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@subigo said: That makes me someone who hasn't had to work for another person since 2007 (unless I wanted to). Someone who spends each day on the lake, enjoying life, and never having to take orders from anyone else

I dunno how you envision your business, but my customers have always been my boss, piss them off, you'll be foraging for food.

• @Corey said: Recently the fraud has been coming from people with a US based ISP address and with the same name as on the paypal account. Idk how to tell?

Check the IPs, see if they're from a residential ISP. Even if the name on the account matches, see if the email they signed up with matches the PayPal account. A quick google maps/etc search of the address doesn't hurt either... pretty easy to see if you've been given a residential address or some random city plot.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic for us to keep instant setup we might just have to take some liability of fraud coming in eh?

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Corey said: @Aldryic for us to keep instant setup we might just have to take some liability of fraud coming in eh?

Not necessarily. Everything I've mentioned minus the google maps bit can be automated.

You just have to weigh the cost in the end. Are the extra hassles of chargebacks/fraud/etc worth having instant setup? We've found that our clients don't mind a short turnaround (it's not very often it takes us longer than half an hour to an hour to fully provision a new service for a valid account), plus they have the added bonus of knowing they're not sharing a node with unsavory types.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic Idk if I want to waste time developing that for WHMCS when we are working on our own billing system though :)... may just save that for our own system.

• subigosubigo Member

@debug said: Mind if I upload it @subigo ?

Go for it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@subigo said: That makes me someone who hasn't had to work for another person since 2007 (unless I wanted to). Someone who spends each day on the lake, enjoying life, and never having to take orders from anyone else... Keep telling yourself that you enjoy what you do. You're still a grunt and who most likely works for less than an Indian billing agent. If you were really skilled, you'd be running your own company, not walking in a shadow of someone else.

With five servers? http://status.zensix.com/

Thanked by 1Liam
  • subigosubigo Member

Those are just the public servers, but yes. I was making enough to quit my job before I even filled one server.

• TazTaz Member

@raindog308 You can make enough with one server if it is well planned or you will go bankrupt with 10 servers :P

• debugdebug Member
    edited June 2012
  • TazTaz Member

@debug Medifire survived while megaupload failed. Money talks (record industry against megauploads plan).

Thanks for the VZ. I was working on that thing and unfortunately Edited soo much that could not revert back to the main version. Coders Pain lol.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@NinjaHawk said: You can make enough with one server if it is well planned or you will go bankrupt with 10 servers

I guess it depends on what's "enough".

VPS? No way. Even if you charge $20/GB, on a 32GB box that's only $640/month gross revenue ($7800/year).

Shared? Let's say you stuff 500 accounts on a server at $4/month. That's $2000/month or $24K a year. Again, before expenses. And of course, that's quite a support headache.

Yes, it's possible to live on $24K - expenses - taxes - self-funded health care - self-funded retirement - everything else, but it's poverty-level wages. At least, in the US.

• subigosubigo Member

@NinjaHawk said: @raindog308 You can make enough with one server if it is well planned or you will go bankrupt with 10 servers :P

Hell, I know a guy with two cPanel reseller accounts from Hostdime who makes more money each month than I do.

• subigosubigo Member

@raindog308 said: I guess it depends on what's "enough".

VPS? No way. Even if you charge $20/GB, on a 32GB box that's only $640/month gross revenue ($7800/year).

Shared? Let's say you stuff 500 accounts on a server at $4/month. That's $2000/month or $24K a year. Again, before expenses. And of course, that's quite a support headache.

Yes, it's possible to live on $24K - expenses - taxes - self-funded health care - self-funded retirement - everything else, but it's poverty-level wages. At least, in the US.

I have no issues talking about how much I make. In Missouri, you can live cheap. For example, I have a condo on the lake for $350/month.

After expenses, I take home about $1,600/month on average from shared/vps clients. Some months it's less, some it's more. I also do white label hosting for a company, which brings in another $250/month. And finally, I'm an independent contractor for Google, and depending on how much I feel like doing their work, it can easily double what I make from hosting.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited June 2012

@subigo said: I have no issues talking about how much I make. In Missouri, you can live cheap. For example, I have a condo on the lake for $350/month.

After expenses, I take home about $1,600/month on average from shared/vps clients. Some months it's less, some it's more. I also do white label hosting for a company, which brings in another $250/month. And finally, I'm an independent contractor for Google, and depending on how much I feel like doing their work, it can easily double what I make from hosting.

Not too shabby, sir. You know, I do find it much easier to take some of what you say seriously now that you've given some details on the situation :P To that effect, I can't remember if I've called BS at all when you were vague before on working, but if so then I apologize for it.

• subigosubigo Member

@Aldryic said: Not too shabby, sir. You know, I do find it much easier to take some of what you say seriously now that you've given some details on the situation :P To that effect, I can't remember if I've called BS at all when you were vague before on working, but if so then I apologize for it.

I don't think I was ever vague, was I? In fact, I'm pretty sure I said something on this forum in the past about nobody getting rich in this business unless you're bought by a bigger company. shrug

• @subigo said: I don't think I was ever vague, was I? In fact, I'm pretty sure I said something on this forum in the past about nobody getting rich in this business unless you're bought by a bigger company. shrug

Mmm, vague as in just alluding rather than detailing. You were very quick to point specifics of anyone else, even when it meant fabrication, but remarkably nondescript about the details of your own scenario :P

• subigosubigo Member

@Aldryic said: Mmm, vague as in just alluding rather than detailing. You were very quick to point specifics of anyone else, even when it meant fabrication, but remarkably nondescript about the details of your own scenario :P

Nobody asked.

• @subigo said: Nobody asked.

Hahah, true enough. Though that didn't stop you from making assumptions about others, either :3 I mean hell, your guess was that working for Francisco was my 'day job' :P