Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup Server Stats?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup Server Stats?

HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
edited June 2012 in General

Hey guys! So I was thinking if I wanted to get a backup/storage server what should I look for? Like does the RAM really matter? Is the hard drive space the only thing that matters? CPU? etc?

Oh and also a list of good backup storage providers would be nice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited June 2012

I suppose it would depend how you were transfering the files to the VPS (In terms of RAM) but you should be able to get away with minimum RAM. Disk space is obviously the priority, you want something that is RAID protected as well, since backups are important!

BuyVM is the only company i know of around here that market actual storage VPS (There could be more though). But guess what, they aint in stock :P

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • JacobJacob Member
    edited June 2012

Quad Core(Even Dual), You can look at the DL380 G5, Has 8 Bays and is in 2U.

They make decent backup/storage servers.

Edit: Just realised you do not mean a server, Check Hostigation if they have stock.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2012

Yeah I'd get the 250GB plan for BuyVM but they're all out and in IRC I was told "in 30 days(TM)".

Gotta love trademarks.

Oh and I was mostly thinking of just having it as FTP or SFTP

Edit: @Jacob thanks bud yeah Hostigation does look pretty appealing.

• AmfyAmfy Member

Oh and I was mostly thinking of just having it as FTP or SFTP

Recommand SFTP. Then the only daemon that have to listen public is SSH ;)

• KairusKairus Member

Hostigation, but they're out of stock as well.

• @Dionysus drats! always when I leave something awesome happens.

@Amfy true story, probably safer too

• @Aldryic got a hold of me and squared everything away. That was pretty cool haha.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: Yeah I'd get the 250GB plan for BuyVM but they're all out and in IRC I was told "in 30 days(TM)".

Since storage isn't something we have lots of stock for (not often do we get many cancellations, etc), we usually just sell it privately on IRC. We had 7TB due to me upgrading the chassis & RAID so we sold all of that last week.

Francisco

• You can always contact @CVPS_Chris or I to get you squared away with a good backup option. :)

• Also check web-wide-hosting.co.nz. I've had their Backup180 for years now and it's been one my most reliable VPS to date. 380+days uptime. Also check Securedragon as I recall they have plans as well, but I can't comment on their service as I am not a customer.

One thing to note is the RAM if you plan to use rsync. If you have a very deep directory tree, with a large amount of files & folders (total number of, not total disk size of), then you may hit your RAM limits. I've exceeded 140MB when rsync'ing some pretty deep trees.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited June 2012

@rajprakash said: Also check Securedragon as I recall they have plans as well, but I can't comment on their service as I am not a customer.

I am. The backup service is simply superb.

One thing to note is the RAM if you plan to use rsync. If you have a very deep directory tree, with a large amount of files & folders (total number of, not total disk size of), then you may hit your RAM limits.

I've got pretty extensive directory tree also, but the 128 ram /256 burst has handled rsyncing no problem at all.

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs               13M    347K     13M    3% /

Incidentally the SecureDragon backup plans are setup with debian 5. First thing I did was upgrade it to debian 6, then tweak it for memory usage. It idles in 3-4 MB memory usage, leaving lots of headroom for the rsync tasks.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@sleddog said: The backup service is simply superb.

I agree.

I also have a Hostigation backup vps, which has been fine as well. I did find that the 64/96 memory was a little tight for large rsyncs - rsync would die with memory complaints if the file tree was either very large or very deep (I forget which). @mitGib fixed me up though and it's worked fine since.

I do wish their backup image was Deb 6-based instead of Deb 5-based. Most everything I want I can get from Dev 5 but now that there's no official repos, I have to much with apt sources. Not that I'm running anything beyond backup software, but for example I wanted to install a mail client so I could send alerts if jobs fail, etc.

At SD, I run Deb 6.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@raindog308 said: I do wish their backup image was Deb 6-based

I have a Deb-6 template for the backup VPS, made it a few months back.

• rds100rds100 Member

What's the problem with debian 5, just dist-upgrade it to 6.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm using a buyvm 256 for backup, mirrored at hostigation on my 1024 OVZ. Don't need much for static sites and medium traffic Wordpress!

• AsadAsad Member
    edited June 2012

I currently use my $7 EaseVPS (60GB) and another FTP backup service to store the same backups. It's pretty much cPanel backups which are rsynced onto those servers nightly.

• corpuscorpus Member

From my Hostigation backup vps
    uptime 23:35:37 up 133 days, 23:53, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited June 2012

@corpus said: From my Hostigation backup vps

You rebooted! You lost all that uptime

[root@e3clt03 ~]# w
    17:35:34 up 140 days, 15:48, 2 users, load average: 0.82, 1.62, 2.85

Actually I am migrating all the backup VPS to a different server right now so I can put a raid card in the node, EL6 and the OpenVZ kernel just hate swraid. So I made a temp server inside Hyper-V and gave it 4tb of disk to hold everyone while I rebuild the other. Seems anything to do with MicroSoft takes way too long, and getting my SPLA contract is holding me up on my Hyper-V idea right now.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: Actually I am migrating all the backup VPS to a different server right now so I can put a raid card in the node

Kickass memory upgrade too! :)

[root@hg:~] free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          7830         16       7813          0          0          2
    -/+ buffers/cache:         14       7816
    Swap:            0          0          0
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: I have a Deb-6 template for the backup VPS, made it a few months back.

I stand...ok, well I sit corrected.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@sleddog said: Kickass memory upgrade too! :)

I had to issue --PHYSPAGES=0:unlimited to get vzmigrate to play nice between EL6 and EL5, once you are on the new node memory will look normal again

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

@sleddog said: Incidentally the SecureDragon backup plans are setup with debian 5.

We built a special Debian 6 template just for our Backup VPS plans. We stripped out all of the stuff you don't need on a Backup VPS and there is a 2nd Debian 6 template which is identical except with vsftpd ready to go since people still request FTP servers for their cPanel backups (which is one of the reasons people run out of bandwidth so fast which is also why we doubled our bandwidth today).

We were going to work on custom templates for other distros but there's no real demand for them. People tend not to care what OS they use for backup servers I guess.