Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backend switch gig ports, PROCURVE 2848?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backend switch gig ports, PROCURVE 2848?

edited June 2012 in General

We're looking at putting in some new switches in our racks for backend backups etc, we're considering the J4904A - HP - PROCURVE SWITCH 2848

Anyone have any experience with these switches?

Comments

• jhjh Member

Yeah I used to use 2824's - they're good switches.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited June 2012

Our back-end switches are TP-Link gigabit switches that were $40 at Fry's. No problems with them.

Our front-end switches are Procurve 2824's. No problems with them either.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Excellent switch. Just sold ours on eBay because we're switching to 2 Dell 24 ports for redundancy.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@DaddyCheeseHosting said: HP - PROCURVE SWITCH 2848

Don't know if this was the model, but @Francisco reached the limit of the switch, I turned him onto Dell PowerConnect 5324's which I also use, nice, cheap switch you can find on eBay all day long for around $150-175

edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: Dell PowerConnect 5324's which I also use, nice, cheap switch you can find on eBay all day long for around $150-175

That's what we're switching to also. We found somebody who was selling 2 of them for $90 each (free shipping) but we held off while we built our management network and now I wish we had grabbed them when we had the chance. :(

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: That's what we're switching to also

So you are still using the tin cans and string?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox

@miTgiB said: So you are still using the tin cans and string?

We use cans and fishing line because it looks like fiber. :D

Thanked by 2birdie25 Damian
  • ZiggaZigga Member

@KuJoe said: We use cans and fishing line because it looks like fiber. :D

Don't forget to slap on a Cisco sticker :p

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We have a few of the HP 2848 in service and they've been pretty good so far.

• CoreyCorey Member

What about a cisco product recommendation?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Corey said: What about a cisco product recommendation?

Depends how wealthy the OP is. Nobody ever got fired for buying Cisco, but many have gone bankrupt

• CoreyCorey Member

@miTgiB I didn't think used cisco equipment was that heavy on the wallet.

• We're using Cisco for our backend at the moment. But the switches we are using are EOL and 10/100.

There is no budget or need for cisco on the back end. We've just bought Juniper for our top of racks.

• We currently use EoL Cisco 10/100 switches, but recently Myself and Chris has decided to move to Brocade 6450's in a stack (redundany except in software updates).

If looking at Cisco, you really have to have a very large budget for even used, unless your going EoL'd stuff. Cisco 3750's offer gig and 10GE, but you lack in IPv6 support and NetFlow, but these guys get costly.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: Don't know if this was the model, but @Francisco reached the limit of the switch, I turned him onto Dell PowerConnect 5324's which I also use, nice, cheap switch you can find on eBay all day long for around $150-175

Yep.

The procurves are fine if you're pushing large, single streams and you can likely never run into issues. We get a lot of pps though and the switches topped out. The dells topped out about 2x higher than the 2848.

The force10's we got are awesome and support 10Gbit modules. For $200/ea they're hard to beat.

Fran

• lumaluma Member

We love the Dell stuff and recently started replacing all switches in every office with Dell networking gear.

This stack is nice. We even got the uplink stuff for it (10G symmetrical I believe) Ignore the tie wrap, it was temporary while testing :)

!(http://i45.tinypic.com/axd2kp.jpg)
    !(http://i48.tinypic.com/k0lmhx.jpg)

• @Francisco said: The force10's we got are awesome and support 10Gbit modules. For $200/ea they're hard to beat.

$200 ? Give ;)

• CoreyCorey Member

@francisco force10 looks nice.

@Corey said: @francisco force10 looks nice.

The ones we're using are the pre dell purchase. I'm not sure how the post dell purchase ones are but I know the ones we got are solid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Force10-S50-SA-01-GE-48T-48-Ports-Gigabit-Switch-QoS-Multicast-Stacking-Routing-/280892121614?pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item416679a20e#ht_2373wt_1171

We bought two at one point to start testing and made an offer at $200/ea and they bit.

Francisco

• DamianDamian Member

@francisco: Standard serial-to-rj45 console cable for that, or would I need to buy a special one?

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: The force10's we got are awesome and support 10Gbit modules. For $200/ea they're hard to beat.

Have you used them with the 10G modules?

@qps said: Have you used them with the 10G modules?

Nope, but I've heard that it works just dandy. We just have a multi port LACP bonding our switches together.

@Damian said: @francisco: Standard serial-to-rj45 console cable for that, or would I need to buy a special one?

Matt claims he needed some custom deal but he got an RJ-45 -> DOM9 converter box and it was able to swap around the pins inside without issue. Cost like $2 for the little thing.

Francisco

edited June 2012

I should just make a point that these things don't support IPV6 in the layer 3 sense of it things. If you're just using these switches for layer 2 stuff then a router handles all your VLAN's/subnets/etc, then they're solid.

If you need to be able to bind subnets right to interfaces, then you'll only be able to do IPV4.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We bought two at one point to start testing and made an offer at $200/ea and they bit.

Thanks for the link, may be just what we are looking for. Strange they didn't come up in search for F10s before. Just out of interest it was our understanding these only support SFTOS and not FTOS, have you managed to get FTOS on them?

@DaddyCheeseHosting said: Thanks for the link, may be just what we are looking for. Strange they didn't come up in search for F10s before. Just out of interest it was our understanding these only support SFTOS and not FTOS, have you managed to get FTOS on them?

Nope, don't need anything special.

We just need LACP & VLAN support and we're pretty well happy.

Francisco

• I'm more worried that everyone here seems to use switches with only 1 PSU....

• rds100rds100 Member

@William this is LET after all, not HAT :)

• @William said: I'm more worried that everyone here seems to use switches with only 1 PSU....

I'd assume most people either run two switches in HA or at least coldswap

@William said: I'm more worried that everyone here seems to use switches with only 1 PSU....

See below.

@DaddyCheeseHosting said: I'd assume most people either run two switches in HA or at least coldswap

Redundancy FTW!

• Two switches + bonding/teaming also a good cheap redundancy if dealing with inexpensive switches. Depending what you use additional interfaces for on your servers