Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any competition in North America for OVH SP-128 at 179$ ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any competition in North America for OVH SP-128 at 179$ ?

JupiterJupiter Member
edited July 2014 in Requests
Chassis 1U/T3

CPU Intel Xeon

E5-1650v2

Cores/threads   6/12t Frequency/burst   3,5 GHz+/3,9 GHz+ 

RAM 128 GB DDR3 ECC 1600MHz

Disks   2x 2 TB SATA3

RAID    SOFT/JBOD

Bandwidth   500 Mbps

Upgrades:

SoftRAID 3 x 2 TB SATA3 6 Gbps (+$7.00 USD/month)

Full SSD SoftRAID 3 x 160 GB SSD Intel DC S3500 (+$7.00 USD/month)

Raid HARD LSI 9271-4i Cachevault 1 GB 3x 2TB SATA3 6Gbps (+$21.00 USD/month)

SoftRAID 2 x 2 TB SATA3 6 Gbps + 2 x 240 GB SSD Intel S3500 SATA3 6 Gbps (+$35.00 USD/month)

HardRAID LSI 9271-4i CacheVault 1 GB 2 x 2 TB SATA3 6 Gbps + 2 x 240 GB SSD Intel S3500 SATA3 6 Gbps (+$55.00 USD/month)

Raid HARD+ LSI 9271-4i Cachevault 1 GB 3x 600 GB SAS 15K + Cachecade 80 GB SSD (+$70.00 USD/month)

HardRAID+ LSI 9271-4i CacheVault 1 GB 3 x 480 GB SSD FastPath (+$112.00 USD/month)

https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-servers/enterprise/2014-SP-128.xml

Was wondering if anyone in NA offers something similar or better at that price range?

Comments

• joodle said: Online.net?

North America NA

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Online are not in NA, and for the price and network (including DDoS protection) OVH are the best in North America. But the Setup fee is too high, For 64 ip + server setup : Count 300-400 $.

• @Jupiter said:
    North America NA

Whoops! Sorry

But maybe @Concerto49 or @Fliphost or @qps can do something for you !

• JupiterJupiter Member
    edited July 2014

davidgestiondbi said: Online are not in NA, and for the price and network (including DDoS protection) OVH are the best in North America. But the Setup fee is too high, For 64 ip + server setup : Count 300-400 $.

As i understand 256 IPs are included with one time 3$ setup fee

Exactly. No monthly cost, only a setup fee. Everything depend on if you got the money for the first month + setup fee. Aftherward, you pay only the 175$ every month.

• davidgestiondbi said: Exactly. No monthly cost, only a setup fee. Everything depend on if you got the money for the first month + setup fee. Aftherward, you pay only the 175$ every month.

Will pay annually anyway and its waived. I hate monthly bills ...

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • JupiterJupiter Member
    edited July 2014

WTF. it seems like no brainer if all true. Look at the upgrade prices. Its insane!!

I promise you everything the say is true, They only problem with OVH in NA, the support didn't say the same as the one in EU. Also, all new hardware and feature are delayed. But The datacenter is awesome !

• Even if you get similar offer from someone, it won't be same as OVH in terms of quality. I can assure you that.

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    But maybe Concerto49 or Fliphost or qps can do something for you !

Won't be price matching ovh sorry.

Thanked by 1talsit
  • davidgestiondbi said: Also, all new hardware and feature are delayed. But The datacenter is awesome

Any idea on average delivery time

Jupiter said: Any idea on average delivery time

Most of the time is less than 1 hour. But dependent if they ask for ID validation, it's can take longer. If you live in the NA they usually skip this step and if they receive abuse, they ask for it.

• davidgestiondbi said: But maybe @Concerto49 or @Fliphost or @qps can do something for you !

Are you kidding. How can they match these prices. Its game over for the new hardware market as i see it.

• @Jupiter - how many do you want? If there is volume there then potentially I can convince Delimiter to offer them. OVH pricing is good but not insurmountable.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi

@Jupiter said:

Are you kidding. How can they match these prices. Its game over for the new hardware market as i see it.

Depending on what you really need, they can do something. But for sure, if you need only the bare-metal server, they have less power on the quote

• @Jupiter said:
    Its game over for the new hardware market as i see it.

Not everyone shops with price as the sole metric.

Thanked by 2gestiondbi netomx
  • Microlinux said: Not everyone shops with price as the sole metric.

yeah sure ... and then you woke up.

• OVH offers a lot more than price, really they are a fantastic company. They have a proper European/US network (I think into Asia now), their own facilities, own staff. Its a big difference from the usual resellers of resellers.

I've been to OVH's facilities near Paris 4-5 years ago, they are well built facilities and ultimately they have the funding to expand and do these low cost / long return servers.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Jupiter said:
    yeah sure ... and then you woke up.

There is an entire world that exists outside of this forum on the Internet, give it a try.

• @Microlinux - OVH is not some cheap and cheerful 'company' with a couple of racks stuck in someone elses datacentre. When you compare OVH to any of the other players in this market, they dwarf them both in terms of network, funding and competence.

Their business model is to give you all of that at a low cost because they have the funding to take the hit of the server over 24 months. On top of that, they have fine tuned their model to reduce cost of cooling, centralised power per motherboard, a real European/US network and an engineering team that really is very competent.

I know quite a few of the core engineering team at OVH and can tell you first hand their team is top notch and do a far better job and better engineering than almost all of the highend dedicated server providers.

OVH can play in the LEB/LET market because of funding, not because they are offering an inferior product

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • @MarkTurner, that's all great information I already know, but it's not relevant to what I was getting at.

If OVH provides services that fulfill every single server need you've ever had, or ever will have -- that's great. Or maybe they don't offer exactly what you need, but for the price you're willing to compromise, that's great too.

My comment was in response to "Its game over for the new hardware market as i see it.". OVH is certainly not going to monopolize the entire dedicated server market, that's utterly ridiculous.

• @Microlinux - OVH will be more dominant in North America, especially now that they are sniffing around for an actual US facility.

Given that the market in the US is either large operators like Softlayer, Rackspace or on the low end thousands of little 1 rack companies; OVH will be able to offer the large company (Softlayer/Rackspace) services at the budget prices.

Personally I think OVH will do well in North America and will definitely shake up the market. I would expect to see OVH aggressively grab market share there.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • @MarkTurner glad to see a provider accepting OVH's might & being honest about his experiences & it can't be better explained why OVH its hard to beat OVH's pricing & quality than in the way you did.

• @MarkTurner said: OVH will be able to offer the large company (Softlayer/Rackspace) services at the budget prices.

You have to look beyond price and look at what OVH doesn't do or offer.

I have little doubt they would do well with a US location. Monopolize the dedicated server market, no. They offer a subset of services.

• @Microlinux said:
    MarkTurner said: OVH will be able to offer the large company (Softlayer/Rackspace) services at the budget prices.

You have to look beyond price and look at what OVH doesn't do or offer.

I have little doubt they would do well with a US location. Monopolize the dedicated server market, no. They offer a subset of services.

Only thing I can see OVH lacking compared to other big players in US market is their support.

• Its still actually cheaper to use a company like OVH and put a sysadmin in place than pay the crazy prices for someone like Rackspace.

I cite an example, a friend of mine works for corporate here in London. They use Rackspace for some of their data mining (nothing sensitive), so they fire up 20-30 servers at a time and then load up their software which will then parallelise the processing.

They use large E5 systems, 128GB RAM, he asked me what they could do to reduce costs and we found that by moving to OVH they would save about 60% a month (for them that was about £10k/month) even if they had to factor in an extra machine in case of failure and OVH taking 24 hours to replace it.

I have horror stories of OVH, I am not in anyway saying they are perfect, but the saving still outweighs the cost of factoring in 2-3 extra machines for diversity.

• JupiterJupiter Member
    edited July 2014

As i see it there are two markets in the dedicated server space.

1) Latest Intel servers from OVH and

2) Older refurbished servers provided by companies like delimiterVPS and others.

Trying to compete head to head with OVH is pure insanity unless u have the scale, and government subsidies that OVH has in France.

I am still amazed how the French of all people managed to pull it off ...

• Microlinux said: They offer a subset of services.

They offer the services that nobody can compete against and thus monopolize the market. Regarding the rest just hire couple of consultants to manage your OVH Farm and its game over.