Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's running out of a cage/suite in a colo facility?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who's running out of a cage/suite in a colo facility?

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited June 2012 in General

Aside from power and improvement costs, what did the actual square footage actually cost anyone? I know it's different from market to market, but I'm having trouble getting quotes without a "Formal Engagement". I swear one company wanted me to sign something that I'd buy no matter what they quoted me lol.

Anything 400sqft up to 1000sqft is my target.

Comments

• I can tell you that pricing is going to be rather large. 1000sqft is HUGE for a private company.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You probably won't get the same rack density power wise so you better check what the footprint on cage space is.

When we were in Steadfast we priced a cage for fun and we could only get 40A per rack in a cage, where as 60A per rack in 'per racks'

Francisco

• 40A 208/240 or 120, big difference, and if it's A+B too.

Seems a lot of the time the places that charge per amp are only giving people 120V instead of 240.

@ptyohost that's only 32x32 roughly, I guess I was brought up in 50,000 sqft datacenters so 1000sqft to me seems small.

• Cage pricing for the High Density stuff I do is expensive.

edited June 2012

@FRCorey said: Seems a lot of the time the places that charge per amp are only giving people 120V instead of 240.

Well, from the DC's I've been in (from shit to top of the line coresite/equinix), I've only ever been offered 120V and anything else required a fairly serious setup fee to get installed (like $1000 or so). Besides, I doubt most of them would even allow anyone to get 30A 208/240 due to cooling. I know on the 10th floor Coresite only allows 2 strips to a rack due to cooling.

Francisco

• rds100rds100 Member

Yeah, 110V is the standard for USA, 220/240V is the standard for Europe.

@rds100 said: Yeah, 110V is the standard for USA, 220/240V is the standard for Europe.

Lucky bastards :(

We actually asked HE about it and they were going to force us to move to FMT2 as well as charge $1500 per rack.

Francisco

• ZiggaZigga Member
    edited June 2012

@rds100 said: Yeah, 110V is the standard for USA, 220/240V is the standard for Europe.

Pretty sure most European countries are running 230v with 50hz. In AUS we use 230v with 50hz variance of 3 to 5% so anything from 220 to 240 is acceptable.

wiki

• JacobJacob Member

@Zigga All UK Datacenters are 240v, Pretty much UK Standard.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@Jacob said: @Zigga All UK Datacenters are 240v, Pretty much UK Standard.

The UK is always different from the rest of Europe when it comes to power, we've also got the only plugs that are grounded, polarised, fused and have insulation around the pins.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Daniel you know how hard it is to change something when it is already widely used. I don't see you (or anyone else) changing their power plug standards...

• @rds100 said: @Daniel you know how hard it is to change something when it is already widely used. I don't see you (or anyone else) changing their power plug standards...

The rest of Europe changed their plugs to the EU standard. The UK didn't .

@Daniel said: The rest of Europe changed their plugs to the EU standard. The UK didn't .

Are they going to swap back if the EU breaks up?

:D

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Are they going to swap back if the EU breaks up?

EU wont break up, although it wouldn't be surprising if the UK left and became a communist country.

• rds100rds100 Member

Don't know, i am sure we didn't change anything related to the power plugs when we went in the EU.

• @rds100 said: Don't know, i am sure we didn't change anything related to the power plugs when we went in the EU.

What country are you in?

• rds100rds100 Member

@Daniel Bulgaria

• @rds100 said: @Daniel Bulgaria

"Plugs used in Bulgaria, as in most of Europe, are two-pin plugs; which means that sockets are made accordingly. The common voltage is 220 V, and it is wise to bring your own adapters as well as converters as these may not be available in the area you are travelling to."

• rds100rds100 Member

OK, so we were already "the EU standard" forever :)

• ZiggaZigga Member

@Jacob said: All UK Datacenters are 240v, Pretty much UK Standard.

heh, good to know. AUS used to be 240 alos its not uncommon to see 250V in unconditioned lines here. Anything over 255 means you can report it and get an onsite visit from a professional.

• Whenever we priced up a cage at our dallas location the cage was always more expensive vs individual racks (even counting discounted cross-connect fees)

• nabonabo Member
    Thanked by 1Zigga
  • CoreyCorey Member

When we priced a cage it wasn't worth it, much like @DaddyCheeseHosting said - it was cheaper for us to buy racks any way you look at it.