Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Several No-IP domains seized by Microsoft via court order
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Several No-IP domains seized by Microsoft via court order

howardsl2howardsl2 Member
edited June 2014 in General

Quoting Dynamoo's Blog:

The nameservers for the following dynamic DNS domains belonging to no-ip.com may have been seized by Microsoft as the namesevers are pointing to NS7.MICROSOFTINTERNETSAFETY.NET and NS8.MICROSOFTINTERNETSAFETY.NET

This seems to have had the effect of taking down any sites using these dynamic DNS services. This will probably impact a lot of things like webcams, home security systems, personal VPNs any anything else that uses these domains.

3utilities.com
bounceme.net
hopto.org
myftp.biz
myftp.org
myvnc.com
no-ip.biz
no-ip.info
noip.me
no-ip.org
redirectme.net
servebeer.com
serveblog.net
servecounterstrike.com
serveftp.com
servegame.com
servehalflife.com
servehttp.com
servemp3.com
servepics.com
servequake.com
sytes.net
zapto.org

References:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7967452
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2014/06/30/microsoft-takes-on-global-cybercrime-epidemic-in-tenth-malware-disruption.aspx
https://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ips-formal-statement-microsoft-takedown/
http://blog.dynamoo.com/2014/06/several-no-ipcom-domains-apparently.html

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Fuck"

• SandyKSandyK Member

Malware sites I doubt anyone will be missing.

Now wish they'll take down the YouTube scrapper sites stealing content that already is being offered for free. Content creators like their content to stay where they put it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ChuckChuck Member

Fuck".

Thanked by 1netomx
  • PwnerPwner Member

I have a friend who just earlier yesterday started using a no-ip.biz domain for his WoW server registration system. I doubt that this can be classified as malware and is just another excuse for Micro$hit to go and screw people over as usual. Next thing you know, they'll obtain a court order to shut down Freenom and Google for "promoting malware".

• SandyKSandyK Member

@Pwner said:
    I have a friend who just earlier yesterday started using a no-ip.biz domain for his WoW server registration system. I doubt that this can be classified as malware

Naw, just the usual copyright infringement...

• nerouxneroux Member

Pwner said: I doubt that this can be classified as malware

And you seriously believe this is because of your friend?

Pwner said: is just another excuse for Micro$hit

Ohh, please. The 90s called again.

Thanked by 2doughmanes Dylan
  • thats why my host wasnt working lol. i set up a redirect in host file anyway :D

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited June 2014
  • PwnerPwner Member

@neroux said:
    Ohh, please. The 90s called again.

I'm sorry, I had no idea you loved them so much. It's not like they tried contacting No-IP and resolving the issue with them first. They went straight to the courts and took their domains right from them. This isn't blind hate, this is unjustified seizure.

• nerouxneroux Member

Pwner said: I'm sorry, I had no idea you loved them so much.

Interesting, your interpretations ....

Pwner said: It's not like they tried contacting No-IP and resolving the issue with them first. They went straight to the courts and took their domains right from them. This isn't blind hate, this is unjustified seizure.

Says who? Noip? Surprise!

Despite numerous reports by the security community on No-IP domain abuse, the company has not taken sufficient steps to correct, remedy, prevent or control the abuse or help keep its domains safe from malicious activity.

Classic case of one word against another.

• SandyKSandyK Member

@Pwner said:
    This isn't blind hate, this is unjustified seizure.

Huh?

seized by Microsoft as the namesevers are pointing to
    NS7.MICROSOFTINTERNETSAFETY.NET and NS8.MICROSOFTINTERNETSAFETY.NET

And WoW private servers are just as illegal, as gold sellers are malware peddlers.

I'd say the blind hate is losing ill gotten gains.

• PwnerPwner Member

@neroux said:

Next thing you'll see is Freenom getting shut down for their infamous free .TK domains. They've put a lot of effort into stopping malware from being associated with it, as well as Google having a history of malware appearing in their searches. Please tell me where Microsoft will have the court ordered justification to shut both of them down, as they did with No-IP.

• SandyKSandyK Member

@Pwner said:
    Please tell me where Microsoft will have the court ordered justification to shut both of them down, as they did with No-IP.

If you had a business and others have the potential to wreck it, wouldn't you want to take the wreckers' sledgehammers away?

It's business.

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited June 2014

Pwner said: Next thing you'll see is Freenom getting shut down for their infamous free .TK domains.

Are you deliberately confusing completely unrelated things and making up wild theories?

But may I ask you ....

Pwner said: screw people over as usual

What evil reason should Microsoft (yes, this can be actually written without profanity and without c00l sp3ci@l characters) have to "screw" people over?

Do you think they plan to enter the highly profitable business sector of dynamic DNS providers and want to get rid of competitors? Lets quickly buy MSFTs.

No, seriously, I dont know either what was going on behind the scenes and should they really have gone for a court order without proper prior communication I would also call it exaggerated, but I dont know the background of the story and I am quite sure you do not either. So whats the point of jumping to wild unfounded conclusions and making things up?

• PwnerPwner Member

@neroux @SandyK

You know what? You guys are right. I'm not even going to bother. This doesn't affect me in the first place, so I don't need to care about it.

• nerouxneroux Member

Pwner said: You know what? You guys are right. I'm not even going to bother. This doesn't affect me in the first place, so I don't need to care about it.

Its not about being right or wrong, its about approaching such a topic in a reasonable fashion. There is simply no point in bashing either of the parties without exactly knowing what is going on. Maybe Microsoft exaggerated, but equally maybe Noip might have really neglected security incidents.

• SandyKSandyK Member

@Pwner said:
    neroux SandyK

You know what? You guys are right. I'm not even going to bother. This doesn't affect me in the first place, so I don't need to care about it.

It's not about a political stance. People tend to think businesses are but separate entities from Mars, but they employ soooo many people, too. If MS died tomorrow the IT world will have even more unemployed.

Sticking it to "the man" is like telling mom and pop to screw themselves while living in their basement. -_-

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2014

It happened before:
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110217/00082213144/homeland-security-wont-even-admit-whether-not-it-seized-mooocom-taking-down-84000-innocent-sites.shtml

Because you are today guilty by association, meaning that if you ate at the same eat at joe as a suspected terrorist, you should be lost in Guantanamo. I wonder how long afraid.org will survive. Australia isn't exactly free either and guilty by association would work there too.

In the end, the whole internet should be shut down, because there are illegal sites on it, why bother taking those down, we can always block TCP/IP as the protocol used by terrorists and child molesters. Heck, nuke the whole world, there are some really crooked people in it.

• CoreyCorey Member

This is absolutely ridiculous. Seizing a domain isn't going to stop malware one bit. The judge that ruled on this should be slapped in the face. Seizing these domains only caused a major inconvenience for those legitimate(or illegitimate) people using these services as they will now have to reconfigure everything.

Thanked by 3Pwner rm_ netomx
  • Pwner said: I'm sorry, I had no idea you loved them so much. It's not like they tried contacting No-IP and resolving the issue with them first. They went straight to the courts and took their domains right from them.

Proof? Source?

Corey said: This is absolutely ridiculous. Seizing a domain isn't going to stop malware one bit.

Probably more to it such as knowingly or turning a blind eye to abuse complaints.

• PwnerPwner Member

@doughmanes

https://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ips-formal-statement-microsoft-takedown/

Straight from No-IP's blog:

We have a long history of proactively working with other companies when cases of alleged malicious activity have been reported to us. Unfortunately, Microsoft never contacted us or asked us to block any subdomains, even though we have an open line of communication with Microsoft corporate executives.

• Ah yeah in my neighborhood when somebody gets arrested, their aunt gets on the news and goes HE DIDN'T DO IT HE WAS A GOOD BOY

• PwnerPwner Member

@doughmanes said:
    Ah yeah in my neighborhood when somebody gets arrested, their aunt gets on the news and goes HE DIDN'T DO IT HE WAS A GOOD BOY

Hey, you asked for proof and source, I gave it. Don't shoot the messenger.

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited July 2014

In this case Microsoft should provide proof they contacted noip and they did not answer or did not remove the offenders. You do not have to provide proof you are not guilty in a normal justice system, only in totalitarian states the accused must prove he is not guilty which is, of course, impossible in most cases.
    The fact that the judge awarded microsoft the domains without hearing the "guilty" is in itself proof microsoft did not provide any proof, nor did they need to, the simple fact of being microsoft is enough base for judges to rule in your favour if the accused is not a big corporation with billions to spend on law defense and patent litigation.
    This has no merit in justice because it does not affect the guilty (malware "providers", they usually do not need free domains and an IP is as good as any domain, not to mention they usually infect other people's domains, be it through ads or exploiting one of the many hosting panels/forum/cms backdoors) and it makes a lot of "collateral damage" because it proves microsoft never intended to shutdown only the infringing parties as they claimed, they shutdown everyone, because, you know, if something is free, it is dangerous.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

What's next, they will have a court injunction forbidding the use of DNS altogether, because sometimes DNS can be used to resolve hostnames of illegal websites?

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy tux

Yes, as I said earlier, TCP/IP in itself is dangerous, but i think UDP will be outlawed first.

• Hopefully No-IP is angling for some sort of legal case. It could be mildly entertaining.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • nerouxneroux Member

@Pwner said: Hey, you asked for proof and source, I gave it. Don't shoot the messenger.

Thats a source, not a proof. And you appear to be here in the role of an advocate and not just a messenger.

I already commented on it before

neroux said: Says who? Noip? Surprise!

Despite numerous reports by the security community on No-IP domain abuse, the company has not taken sufficient steps to correct, remedy, prevent or control the abuse or help keep its domains safe from malicious activity.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited July 2014

No-IP's argument that they didn't know about what was going on on their domains is complete BS. Quite a few organizations, not just Microsoft, have been crying foul about what No-IP lets go on for a while (e.g. OpenDNS in 2013 and Cisco earlier this year).

Also some of you might want to read up on what a preliminary injunction is -- it means Microsoft already presented significant compelling evidence but this is not final and is just the beginning of a likely long case. You can see all the pleading documents (courtesy of Microsoft) here:
    http://www.noticeoflawsuit.com/