Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datacenter floor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Datacenter floor

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited June 2012 in General

who here has some odd datacenter rules?

No pictures, no cameras, no messy cables
.. Just some random ones.

Comments

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited June 2012

No coffee while on the floor. (but soda/water is allowed :P)

BlueVM | 20% Off For Life => Coupon Code: FEBRUARYSPECIAL
  • WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

No pictures, cameras allowed (but no photos, as said), cables are messy anyway.... :D

• prometeusprometeus Member, Provider
    edited June 2012

At the datacenter there arent particular rules, but on the same floor where there is the cage with our racks (a few meters door to door) there is the italian google pop.
    One day I saw they were racking some servers, since racks and server were all custom made I was curious and walked inside. A Dutch gorilla blocked me and pointed me to a few sign taped on the side of the racks (they are like containers with weels) were I read: DONT LOOK INSIDE OR WE HAVE TO KILL YOU.

No sign of smile on the gorilla face, I got back to my cage :-)

IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
  • I never understood why you can't take pics of your own cab.

• DamianDamian Member

Ha! I've got pics of our cabinet. But there's nothing special to show!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

I always thought the 'no cameras' one was interesting. I guess they're afraid of someone picturing racks they shouldn't.

At HE you were allowed everything, even to sleep on the actual floors if you wanted. I know Matt used to do it when he was waiting on HE for things. They'd come over and he'd be completely gone.

Fran

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • edited June 2012

@Damian said:But there's nothing special to show!

Yeah vouch this ;)

One of the fastest custom forum software on the net, full of features you will never see on any other forum. Join Today - - Hosted by IPXCore

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@SpeakWhatsReal said: I Removed the dell logo :P

Replace it with a beer cap! http://blog.gtuhl.com/2007/05/25/server-naming-conventions/

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM KVM VPS / Proxmox OpenVZ VPS- Low Cost Comodo SSL Certificates
  • edited June 2012

LOL awesome idea

One of the fastest custom forum software on the net, full of features you will never see on any other forum. Join Today - - Hosted by IPXCore

• Fran, think if I ask they can take one for me?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Provider

@miTgib ok, now I want to do this

Subnet Labs, LLC Contact Us Deploy to: Seattle, Dallas or NYC
    Impact VPS | Cloud Servers | Storage Servers | Impact Shared | Shared Hosting

• @bijan588 said: No pictures, no cameras

A lot of times you can get them to let you take photos, though they usually review them before you leave/whatever.

I toured a uni datacenter a couple years back, got a photo (without them knowing) of one of the Google search applicance units (or whatever)... lost it now though :(

Looking for support, sysadmin, etc. work: PM
    Working on VPSM
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Caro is pretty relaxed, only rule I know of is no peeing on the floor

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM KVM VPS / Proxmox OpenVZ VPS- Low Cost Comodo SSL Certificates
  • @miTgiB said: Caro is pretty relaxed, only rule I know of is no peeing on the floor

and how did you become aware of that particular rule?

Need to reach me quickly? Ping me on Discord

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@ElliotJ said: how did you become aware of that particular rule?

I'm just talking shit, reality is I have 24/7 access via keycard and when I usually visit, I am the only one there, so anything goes. But as far as I take anything is I plug into a neighbors power for the crash cart since they are not using much and I am at the limit and that old crt draws like 4A

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: But as far as I take anything is I plug into a neighbors power for the crash cart since they are not using much and I am at the limit and that old crt draws like 4A

And then they upgrade their servers/add more and you send them over the limit.

"MITGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIB!!!!!!!!!!"

Thanked by 2netomx maxexcloo
    Looking for support, sysadmin, etc. work: PM
    Working on VPSM
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@DimeCadmium said: And then they upgrade their servers/add more and you send them over the limit.

I am not Matt!

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited June 2012

Tim performing "repairs":

Thanked by 2Liam maxexcloo
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: Tim performing "repairs":

At least my nodes have not been sexually violated on a regular basis :P

Thanked by 2Liam maxexcloo
  • @miTgiB said: At least my nodes have not been sexually violated on a regular basis :P

They only drip because we love them :3

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@liam said: What's charlotte like?

The don't call it the queen city for nothing :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte,_North_Carolina

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited June 2012

everything electronic allowed except batteries.

vpsdash.com - Tips and tricks in life, information and technology news to get things done

• Must be hell on folks with pacemakers.

• laaevlaaev Member

@miTgiB said: Caro is pretty relaxed

Caro is in debt and filed Chapter 11.
    http://steadfast.net/blog/index.php/general/caronet-files-for-chapter-11

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

No food/drink is the most common rule I've seen. At work we're allowed to have cameras but not allowed to take pictures with our phones.

-Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need backup space? Check out BackupDragon
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

@FTN_Kevin said: Caro is in debt and filed Chapter 11.

Old news. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1047714

-Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need backup space? Check out BackupDragon
  • laaevlaaev Member
    edited June 2012

I know, but is it true or not?

Are they still in debt? When I asked them on chat as we were considering them in the past, they were like "That's just steadfast trying to make hay out of competitors, not true at all"

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@FTN_Kevin said: Caro is in debt and filed Chapter 11.

Damit.... What @KuJoe said

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@FTN_Kevin said: Are they still in debt?

Dunno about still in debt, but still under the protection of the bankruptcy court, making it safer than other DC's, as nobody can just cut off their services without court approval.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: Dunno about still in debt, but still under the protection of the bankruptcy court, making it safer than other DC's, as nobody can just cut off their services without court approval.

Okay, I only asked as they totally denied it on chat which is unprofessional of them.