Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GoodHosting main site down? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GoodHosting main site down?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Aces, might be worth adding that to the rules, as I know of at least one active LowEND seller, ignoring Goodhosting.

• XTServersXTServers Member
    edited July 2014

Well, there can be 2 sides to this:

1. Something happened to him and there's no one to check/fix issues (although this story seems to be happening quite a lot around here recently).

2. He deadpooled and it's a matter of time until the paid bills go out (people need to start backing their data people).

• rds100rds100 Member

XTServers said: people need to start backing their data

People need to regularly backup their data anyway. No matter the provider.

Thanked by 2hotsnow Maounique
  • Yes, you are right. The idea is that this might be a heads up for whoever hasn't done that yet. Just in case the provider doesn't show up in a few days.

• Hello71Hello71 Member
    edited July 2014
    $ ping goodhosting.co
    ^C

hm, dns isn't responding. let's do a +trace.

$ dig co ns +short
    ns1.cctld.co.
    $ dig goodhosting.co ns @ns1.cctld.co.
    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    goodhosting.co.         7200    IN      NS      NS1.goodhosting.co.
    goodhosting.co.         7200    IN      NS      NS2.goodhosting.co.
    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    NS1.goodhosting.co.     7200    IN      A       192.99.193.3
    NS2.goodhosting.co.     7200    IN      A       192.99.193.4
    $ dig goodhosting.co @192.99.193.3
    ^C

oh well that explains it

$ dig goodhosting.co @192.99.193.4
    ^C

wait a minute, why are they on the same subnet...

$ whois 192.99.193.3
    NetRange:       192.99.193.0 - 192.99.193.31
    OrgName:        OVH (NWK)

are you fucking kidding me

$ traceroute -I 192.99.193.3
    traceroute to 192.99.193.3 (192.99.193.3), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    [1-5 internal]
     6  * gw-ovh.torontointernetxchange.net (206.108.34.189)  202.959 ms *
     7  mtl-2-6k.qc.ca (178.32.135.71)  19.867 ms  19.352 ms *
     8  bhs-g1-6k.qc.ca (198.27.73.5)  32.355 ms  21.052 ms  21.317 ms
     9  bhs-3a-6k.qc.ca (198.27.73.12)  20.062 ms * *
    10  bhs1.goodhosting.co (192.99.193.1)  19.829 ms  24.820 ms  22.518 ms
    [11-30]  * * *
    $ traceroute -I 192.99.193.4
    [1-5 internal]
     6  eqx.ny.ovh.net (198.32.118.106)  33.657 ms * *
     7  * * *
     8  bhs-g1-6k.qc.ca (198.27.73.205)  37.853 ms  37.322 ms  38.174 ms
     9  bhs-3a-6k.qc.ca (198.27.73.12)  27.845 ms  35.568 ms *
    10  bhs1.goodhosting.co (192.99.193.1)  34.470 ms  25.516 ms  26.354 ms
    [11-30]  * * *

i don't think this is what "geographically distributed dns servers" means

• I've not read this thread yet, I literally only just plugged in my computer.

Guys, it was Canada Day long weekend. I had decided that I would take a nice ride up to Prince George where a friend has a family property, but apparently I can't step away from a computer for a single day without everything blowing up.

All services have been online, however; someone managed to get the IP address for our primary nameserver to be nulled, which is what I'm looking into at the moment. From what I can see, all of the services have been up this entire time without issue. The out of band management channels for the services are still operational as well.

I will reply with more details and direct replies to the people in this thread once I know what's going on. It's amazingly difficult to get internet up here in Prince George, I was stuck getting Telus to run a line into the property, but they terminated as copper and I had to run the RJ45 hookup... eugh.

More details and an actual reply to follow.

Thanked by 1daxterfellowes
  • That's LET for ya'.

• @Sherlock said:
    Yeah, the site has been down from 2 days...

@mpkossen said:
    He hasn't been online since either, here or on Skype.

@AThomasHowe said:
    I really hope he hasn't done a runner, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. It's never good when the services and the owner disappear simultaneously though.

I was participating in Prince George's Canada Day fireworks display, it takes 10+ hours to drive from Vancouver up to Prince George, so I spent most of my car ride without any sort of connectivity. I only just finished running the RJ45 from the copper than Telus ran up here, they're always doing things half assed.

@Nekki said:
    Are the servers still up?

Yes, the only thing that was ever down was the cPanel server; as someone managed to get the DNS server's IP addresses nullrouted. I have had this issue sorted out now, and will be adding a secondary DNS server outside of the network to prevent something like this happening again.

@serverboss said:
    idk how long the nodes will be online!

You're being overly dramatic. I took a long weekend off to celebrate Canada Day, and a DNS server went down. All Management consoles [OpenNebula] and customer services were online the entire time, even the VNC IP and NoVNC Proxy were online.

@viCommunications said:
    $10 on a family member (or "goodhosting" himself) died/in hospital or hit by bus.

Right, you're clearly trying to go after me on a personal vendetta.

@raindog308 said:

Well, I already quite red; even though I've been limiting my time outside.

@AnthonySmith said:
    goes down just as viCommunications comes back, interesting.....

Yup, and ViCommunications was instant to try and throw me in a fire. I'm pretty sure he even used this "opportunity" to get himself unbanned. I'm rather skeptical of any other order of events due to his direct attacks against me in this thread so far.

@hostnoob said:
    So he told you there was a thread about Goodhosting on LET and asked if he could be unbanned so he could post in it?

... My thoughts exactly, although I can understand the reasoning that mpkossen gave about forgetting. I would imagine the number of bans that are handled here on LowEndTalk, it might be pretty easy to misplace one or two; since we're pretty much overworking mpkossen with all the shit we keep stirring up as a community.

I'm glad at least some people in this thread were willing to think about what actually happened. @drserver , @mpkossen , @Maounique

@fhneric said:
    Surprised no one pointed out the fact that the domain has whois privacy. If any one has a vps with them, now might be a good time to take a backup of your vps while you still can.

Frankly, I don't see what's wrong with WHOIS privacy. It's only still on that domain because I can't migrate it to Uniregistry yet (they don't support .co registration just yet.) I post our corporate information in the end of all of our offer threads, we are not here to scam anyone.

@viCommunications said:
    I called this deadpool a month ago, yet was called a scammer & banned :(

Ohwell!

You need to learn to stop selectively reading this thread, pay attention to stuff like this:

@NekoShiinachan said:
    Get your things straight and btw: Source --> me because I renamed him personally and he excused himself for the mistakes done by the former owner of HardCloud.

XTServers said: Something happened to him and there's no one to check/fix issues (although this story seems to be happening quite a lot around here recently).

Basically this. I decided it was a good idea to try and enjoy a national holiday. Look what it gets me.

At this time, cPanel has been restored and a secondary DNS server is being provisioned.

• GoodHosting said:

All services have been online, however; someone managed to get the IP address for our primary nameserver to be nulled, which is what I'm looking into at the moment. From what I can see, all of the services have been up this entire time without issue. The out of band management channels for the services are still operational as well.

1. why do you have only 1 nameserver

2. why do you try to hide it by using 2 IPs which go through different OVH locations but end up at the same server?

3. why is it on OVH, well known to take everything down if so much as a dead housefly lands in their email

4. why is your dns server on the same host as customer VMs

5. why am I asking so many questions

• Hello71 said:

1. why do you have only 1 nameserver

2. why do you try to hide it by using 2 IPs which go through different OVH locations but end up at the same server?

3. why is it on OVH, well known to take everything down if so much as a dead housefly lands in their email

4. why is your dns server on the same host as customer VMs

5. why am I asking so many questions

1. We have only one nameserver at the moment because that's how cPanel installs, with two local nameservers assigned to two local IP addresses. We had yet to install a secondary nameserver externally.

2. See the above, it's not "hiding"; it's how cPanel works.

3. The DDoS protection has saved our website from a lot, we like OVH for that.

4. The DNS servers are not on the same host as customers, with OVH you can use all of the IP addresses between any of the host machines, even the private clouds. They use classless static routing (which I really hate, as it complicates networking a lot); but the bonus is that we can use any IP on any of our machines.

5. Not sure why you're asking so many questions.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GoodHosting said: You're being overly dramatic. I took a long weekend of

Honestly, if your customers can't contact someone in charge at GoodHosting for 24 hours, you shouldn't be in business.

Yeah, I know that means you don't get a vacation when you're a one man shop. And the one man shop of that is the problem.

GoodHosting said: we like OVH for that.

Where was the rest of this 'we' while you were on vacation? :-)

Thanked by 2FrankZ doughmanes
  • @raindog308 said:
    Where was the rest of this 'we' while you were on vacation? :-)

The rest of the "We" are the support staff, whom have access specifically limited to the tasks each person has been assigned. None of the staff had access to the cPanel server, as we do not offer shared hosting; it is an environment we use only for our site(s), therein no access was given to it.

This has been sorted out however, and a secondary DNS server will be online soon to mitigate this from being an issue in the future.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@GoodHosting said:
    This has been sorted out however, and a secondary DNS server will be online soon to mitigate this from being an issue in the future.

Why did none of your support staff contact you to alert you of the problem?

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Lol, your main site was down for 5 days and you brush it off with shitty excuses.

Leave this industry.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited July 2014

@viCommunications said:
    Lol, your main site was down for 5 days and you brush it off with shitty excuses.

Leave this industry.

Your posts are as dramatic as your ban.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @trewq said:
    Why did none of your support staff contact you to alert you of the problem?

Well, they tried to. I wasn't reachable during the drive up here, there's not a whole lot of reception between Vancouver and Prince George. If you look on a map, you can see that most of the routes up here have no coverage whatsoever until a certain point, or the small points in which you're in a town.

That being said, my phone doesn't have the SSH keys ( nor an SSH client ) where I could have fixed this on the run, had to wait until I was at a desktop and could sort it out properly.

• GoodHosting said: We have only one nameserver at the moment because that's how cPanel installs, with two local nameservers assigned to two local IP addresses. We had yet to install a secondary nameserver externally.

See the above, it's not "hiding"; it's how cPanel works.

just dont blame cPanel, They have a quite robust mechanism to setup a dns cluster with their "cPanel-DNSOnly". You could even cluster with softlayer . vps.net dns back end or even with rage4 backend ( using a modulesgarden plugin)

• @upfreak said:
    just dont blame cPanel, They have a quite robust mechanism to setup a dns cluster with their "cPanel-DNSOnly". You could even cluster with softlayer . vps.net dns back end or even with rage4 backend ( using a modulesgarden plugin)

Oh of course, and we will now. We had not yet in the past. What I am blaming cPanel for however, is the "hiding" excuse as mentioned above, and that by default cPanel does place both DNS servers on the same server.

Of course you can install DNSONLY instances other places, we had not yet however.

edited July 2014

@GoodHosting said:
    That being said, my phone doesn't have the SSH keys ( nor an SSH client ) where I could have fixed this on the run, had to wait until I was at a desktop and could sort it out properly.

This sounds like poor planning. If you are a sole operator you don't get "time off". The business should basically be your life.

Especially going away somewhere without internet when you run an internet based business. I mean, really? What was your thought process with that?

Thanked by 2Peroni doughmanes
  • @trewq said:
    Especially going away somewhere without internet when you run an internet based business. I mean, really? What was your thought process with that?

Well, let me first outline a few issues with your blatant attack:

1. There is internet here, that is how I am replying to this thread.
    2. I can't really control cellular coverage across a highway we take. It is unreasonable to believe that somehow I would have control over the cellular coverage, and what level of data is provided at various spots during a trip.
    3. All of the customer services were online the entire time. Only OUR DNS was down. Therein, no actual downtime wass had, and people that had the IP addresses to the management console [ from their welcome emails ] were still able to use their services even through the NoVNC proxy console.

My "thought process" is that the DNS wouldn't go down, and it didn't. The IP addresses of the DNS servers were nullrouted, the main website IP address was still functioning, and I was still receiving my email, panel notifications, etc; hence why I didn't know there was something wrong until a member of my staff said the website was down.

Hell, even our monitoring was still pinging, since that uses an IP address and doesn't rely on DNS.

@GoodHosting said:
    Hell, even our monitoring was still pinging, since that uses an IP address and doesn't rely on DNS.

It wasn't an attack. It was a simple question which you dodged around. Why did it take 5 days for you to fix your dns if you do have internet?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@GoodHosting - A little empathy would go a long way here. Think about your customers who spent part of that weekend taking their time to backup or move to another provider, fearing another dead pool. You can think that was just LET drama, but maybe, just maybe, it was you who instigated that drama.

Narcissist can never see anything wrong with what they have done, because they don't consider other people in the equation. You seem like a good guy, but you've been acting a bit Narcissistic lately so I hope your long weekend helps.

You may now feel free to attack me, if you wish.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited July 2014

Why is only your site running behind cPanel? That would seem to be a waste of resources. Why not toss up Nginx on a VM and go? Little confusing to me, don't take it as an attack. Business's usually try to run as lean as possible to increase revenue. Maybe there is something I'm missing. That happens a bit, think of marbles.

Edit: The only time I've seen OVH null route an IP is when it is misconfigured. Say the gateway was set incorrectly.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ Corey
  • @GoodHosting said:
    Frankly, I don't see what's wrong with WHOIS privacy. It's only still on that domain because I
    can't migrate it to Uniregistry yet (they don't support .co registration just yet.) I post our corporate
    information in the end of all of our offer threads, we are not here to scam anyone.

Never said you were. There is nothing wrong with having whois privacy, I was just pointing out that I was surprised that no one else pointed it out.

• Wow, called it. @GoodHosting, ignore these drama lovers and enjoy your holiday.

Would not be surprised if our resident hackforums script kiddie decided to DDoS your DNS himself.

• @0xdragon said:
    Wow, called it. GoodHosting, ignore these drama lovers and enjoy your holiday.

Would not be surprised if our resident hackforums script kiddie decided to DDoS your DNS himself.

What surprises me the most is that other Canadians aren't backing me up on this, think of Canada Day as our equivellent to the "Fourth of July"... you can see how it's important to some of us.

@FrankZ said:
    GoodHosting - A little empathy would go a long way here. Think about your customers who spent part of that weekend taking their time to backup or move to another provider, fearing another dead pool. You can think that was just LET drama, but maybe, just maybe, it was you who instigated that drama.

Narcissist can never see anything wrong with what they have done, because they don't consider other people in the equation. You seem like a good guy, but you've been acting a bit Narcissistic lately so I hope your long weekend helps.

You may now feel free to attack me, if you wish.

I'm just rather confused how when all of the Virtual Machines and host nodes were active during this period, the only thing that was down is the "convenient" DNS records we have set for those that can't remember an IP address. That being said, the IP address is also given to the user in their welcome email, so they should always have that as well.

Again though, I can understand how a bit of empathy might help. I just don't see how clients would have had to "spen[d] part of that weekendd taking their time to backup" as we all know that backups are something that all customers should already be doing regardless.

• Well, since it proved the guy didn't ran away with anyone's money and no services went down during this time, I'd say all is good. The panic sucked tho... but everything seems to be okay from what people say so no more drama needed.

@GoodHosting : Enjoy your time off man!

• wojonswojons Member

@goodhosting

I am happy that you were able to take sometime away but it does look like there were issues reaching your website over the last 5 days. I am not sure if its a trust thing or have not found the right person but you should have someone that is able to fix things if you are not reachable. as someone that runs my own busness i have not taken holiday in years. not only that but i work every holiday like its a work day i am american its the 4th of juily but i will not be draged away to watch fireworks becuase my busness is imporant to me.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@GoodHosting - Have a good weekend.

• @GoodHosting welcome back and have a great weekend.

This discussion has been closed.