Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Control Traffic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Control Traffic

Any easy way and human-readable to generate traffic reports ? I have some VMs that are generating a lot of traffic and don't know what is it.

I tried ntop but I don't get it .... and also in some servers if just breaks and some graphs I don't understand ....

I would like someting very easy and practical.

Thank you :)

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

iftop is the easiest I've found for viewing traffic on a server in real-time, for historical graphs then ntop is the easiest app I've used.

Thanked by 2KeyJey Scion
  • KeyJeyKeyJey Member

@KuJoe I can't stay in front of the server 24h per day, I have other servers and other things to do, of course I do use that too in my all servers, but what I need is anything that can generate grapths with network analysis.

@ZEROF too complex for me :(

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@KeyJey said:
    KuJoe I can't stay in front of the server 24h per day, I have other servers and other things to do, of course I do use that too in my all servers, but what I need is anything that can generate grapths with network analysis.

ZEROF too complex for me :(

You could screen iftop and have a look back after a few hours.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

KeyJey said: what I need is anything that can generate grapths with network analysis

Thanks for the clarification. From your original post it sounded like you needed to see the traffic usage in real time as the VMs were generating the traffic.

What difficulties did you have with ntop? The web GUI was pretty straight forward when I used it a while ago, maybe they have a different interface now though.

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

rmlhhd said: You could screen iftop and have a look back after a few hours.

I have always an iftop instance active under my "screen" but I just see the active connections, not the past ones. Any tip ?

KuJoe said: What difficulties did you have with ntop?

VMs where traffic are generated are under 2 main hardware nodes, I have ntop in main nodes, but I can't understand the traffic graphs :S

Sorry, I can't explain more now .... but thanks for your suggestions.

• @KeyJey said: but what I need is anything that can generate grapths with network analysis.

Define "network analysis".

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

A way to understand the traffic travelling inside the server

• @keyjey - what about snort? There are few turnkey images which contain it preconfigured with a front end.

• edited June 2014

How about vnstat Php Frontend?. I use it for something like my Tunl

• @KeyJey said:
    A way to understand the traffic travelling inside the server

If you want to really get a good grasp of what is happening, parsing netflow data with nfdump/nfsen will be very informative. It's not "easy" to setup, however.