Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powerdns Recursor - for specific domains
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Powerdns Recursor - for specific domains

bdtechbdtech Member
edited June 2014 in General

Is it possible to implement a powerdns recursor that only resolves requests for a handful of specified zones? My plan was to put a powerdns recursor in front of AWS Route 53 to save costs from low TTL queries. Ideally it would just forward requests to Route 53 and cache according the specified TTL's. Route 53 would be essentially the hidden master and the authoritative server queries would be handled publically by the pdns-recusor

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

It will not work unfortunately

• bdtechbdtech Member

@gbshouse Any alternative ideas?

• petrispetris Member

@bdtech said:
    gbshouse Any alternative ideas?

Raise your TTL?

Yoy can use PowerDNS Auth. but not Rec. Auth works with hidden master. The whole setup makes no sense - you replace R53 anycast with unicast etc. Instead use R53 with high TTL or pick different provider

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited June 2014

It looks like the only option is to implement forward-zones and set the recursor parameter to an empty powerdns/bind authorative server runnig on another port

But if you have auth server on the same box why do you want to use recursor?

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited June 2014

Want master to be AWS, caching, and I plan on heavily utilizing the Route53 API. I couldn't find any documentation that implements forward-zone functionality for the auth server.