Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ReverseHosts is MIA, Server Down for 4 Days
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ReverseHosts is MIA, Server Down for 4 Days

FYI: I've been using reversehosts.com for a little over a year, and despite a few hiccups, have been pretty satisfied. However on Tuesday morning one of my servers disconnected from the Internet (the server is up through serial console, it looks like the virtual network interface is disconnected - a seemingly simple fix). I've submitted multiple tickets and got 1 response 2 days ago, stating that they didn't see a problem (Although the problem is pretty easy to spot - a simple ping from the root console of the VM shows it has no network connectivity, ifconfig returns nothing).

Twitter suggest this isn't an isolated incident - a tweet from 6 days ago shows a server down for 3 days (at that time). My other servers are up and running fine (even on the same node), however with no communication (other than 1 "it's all fine" reply), this is markedly different from their communication/responsiveness levels in the past, and disturbing to see.

Until we get confirmation that they're healthy and available, you might want to avoid their services.

Jon.

Comments

• So another LEB provider that used to be awesome in the past (if I recall correctly) is turning into crap and probably going into the dead pool?

Thanked by 1Xei
  • Not sure - they had a maintenance event on Wednesday for the first time in months, downtime announced, services back up (albeit later than expected). I figured that meant someone was manning the shop. They seem to be a 2 man operation, Hassan (Who is the owner / billing contact) and Ihtasham (Who seems to be a tech). In the past I found Hassan to take about 4-6 hours to return contact on a high priority ticket, however he seems to be gone. Ihtasham is the one who responded to my High Priority ticket 1.5 days after I submitted it, and I haven't heard back from him in 2 days from my reply.

• Lets tag @Hassan here.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

What location?

• San Diego in this case. I have VMs in San Diego & Atlanta, and the other 4 boxes (2 in SD on the same node, 2 in Atlanta) are functioning fine.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited June 2014

I have had a few issues previously but currently everything seems good.

My only ReverseHosts VPS is in San Diego and runs on the 'Demeter' node - it is up and running, responding fine. I have had more issues with my GVH node in the last 48 hours (missing 4-6 pings per day).

It's cheap, Hassan is pretty cheerful but he isn't always around. Just keep pinging the support ticket every 8 hours. If you paid $12 for a 512mb VPS for 12 months like I did then you have to expect a few corners to be cut.

Hassan was happy for me two buy two of the VPS's on the LET512ANNUAL code and combine them into a 1GB VBPS with extra IP's. I'm pretty happy about that as not all providers will allow it - RamNode is one that doesn't yet has an awesome network.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • I have no problems with corners being cut - I've been a sysadmin for 15 years - I expect and prefer to just have the basics. But having the equivalent of a network cable disconnected for 4 days is a bit more than cutting corners, right?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Monsta_AU +1 ... perfect perspective.

EDIT: oh, and my VPS in San Diego is fine too..

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
    edited June 2014

@jonwestfall said:
    I have no problems with corners being cut - I've been a sysadmin for 15 years - I expect and prefer to just have the basics. But having the equivalent of a network cable disconnected for 4 days is a bit more than cutting corners, right?

Yeah, I would have been a bit pissed with that. Just keep bumping the ticket.

By the sound of it, it occurred during the OVZ patching process. Seems about the right timeframe.

Cheers @FrankZ

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

(LE*+Double Redundancy=99.98% :-) + .02% :-(
    Your just in that .02% place right now, this will pass into insignificance shortly.

• XeiXei Member
    edited June 2014

@NekoShiinachan said:
    So another LEB provider that used to be awesome in the past (if I recall correctly) is turning into crap and probably going into the dead pool?

I hope that's not becoming a trend -- but an old top 3 of mine has become total crap. =(
    I have another old top 3 provider that's been relatively fine though... but I still think my new-ish top 3 blows them all out of the water... RamNode. I'll be picking up an Iniz soon another current top 3 from what I remember. I guess as the old top providers start to stop caring or become crap, you need to jump onto the latest or recent top 3. I just hope this isn't the norm because I like staying with the same provider for many many years cause I'm too lazy to move files over/setup cron jobs. :p

• Yeah, I have a RamNode and Nick went out of his way to move me from Amsterdam to Seattle. Really top-notch customer service there.

• reversehosts guy seems to be rather active on twitter https://twitter.com/rare_paki

Looks like he just ditched his company.

• monsegurh said: reversehosts guy seems to be rather active on twitter https://twitter.com/rare_paki

Looks like he just ditched his company.

I have never dealt with him, only Hassan on the majority of tickets, while Ihtasham has replied a couple of times only. Just because the guy above 'co-founded' the company, it does not mean that they stick around with that company through its entire lifetime.

Likely is that Hassan bought out his share of the venture. Happens all the time in business.

• CrabCrab Member

My SD VPS is doing fine, so hopefully it is just an isolated incident.

• It's isolated for sure, but @Crab, I'd recommend moving your stuff elsewhere as soon as possible. I have 4 other VPS'es at ReverseHosts, 2 in SD, 2 in Atlanta. Already migrated one of my SD ones, and the other is non-essential.

Have backups, refresh them often. (I learned this last fall when ReverseHosts moved one of my VPS's from one node to another, the copy failed halfway through (but OpenVZ reported the node was up), and they deleted the original image, so I had to rebuild from scratch)

It was incidents like the above that I figured were just normal course of business at a LEB - and ones I'm fine with recovering from (Hassan repeatedly asked me if I needed help, but I had backups that were from the night before). However this glitch is absurd. And the fact that I've been down since Tuesday AM would be infuriating if I was actually running a business on that box.

Oh, and Monsta_AU - Ihtasham was still active with the company as of Wednesday PM - it's Hassan who has left things to break and not be fixed.

• @FrankZ - my server has been down for 5 days, AKA 1.3% of the year. Wouldn't say this is insignificant ;) Same advice I gave to @Crab applies - use ReverseHosts for now, but have a recovery strategy ready to go.

edited June 2014

@jonwestfall said:
    Oh, and Monsta_AU - Ihtasham was still active with the company as of Wednesday PM - it's Hassan who has left things to break and not be fixed.

My stuff up, only saw 'Toby' and didn't realise that Toby = Ihtasham.

Yeah, Hassan has been rather difficult to get a hold on lately. I think most of the backend stuff (including tickets with hardware providers) has to be done through him.

EDIT: Have poked Ihtasham on Twitter, he will be having a look at this shortly.

• @jonwestfall said:
    FYI: I've been using reversehosts.com for a little over a year, and despite a few hiccups, have been pretty satisfied. However on Tuesday morning one of my servers disconnected from the Internet (the server is up through serial console, it looks like the virtual network interface is disconnected - a seemingly simple fix). I've submitted multiple tickets and got 1 response 2 days ago, stating that they didn't see a problem (Although the problem is pretty easy to spot - a simple ping from the root console of the VM shows it has no network connectivity, ifconfig returns nothing).

Twitter suggest this isn't an isolated incident - a tweet from 6 days ago shows a server down for 3 days (at that time). My other servers are up and running fine (even on the same node), however with no communication (other than 1 "it's all fine" reply), this is markedly different from their communication/responsiveness levels in the past, and disturbing to see.

Until we get confirmation that they're healthy and available, you might want to avoid their services.

Jon.

Hello Jon,

We have been experiencing a few problems and we've been having a change in staff. Therefore the company has been experiencing some issues lately. Just to update everyone, Hassan is currently unavailable due to personal issues but I will be taking care of everything. We really apologise for the inconvenience and hassle. If anyone else has been facing issues, please open a ticket stating your problem and that you're from LEB and I will credit you for the delay in our responses.

Apologies,
    Ihtasham.

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • @Ihtasham vps in S.D has been running flawlessly, thanks.

• charoscharos Member

It's not an isolated event, my vps is down from 16th of May . By 30th of May support is nowhere to be found. Will make a post regarding my case to show how bad this provider is. Existing users should migrate fast and candidate new users AVOID IT LIKE PLAGUE.