Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHOIS RECORD AT LET - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHOIS RECORD AT LET

2»

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2012

I do not see how this is a issue -- If you are going to run a BUSINESS then go register your business. When you do this, you will have to give them your address and information, which will then be searchable in the business registration database anyhow. If you are going to run a business on the up and up then you should have no fear of having your address listed in the details of the business. What are you going to do if someone wants to mail you a payment ( I know most don't accept this, but for the use of my sarcasm..) are you going to have them mail the payment to your next door neighbor and have them forward it to you because your afraid someone will come to your house?

If you are going to run a REAL BUSINESS then this shouldn't even be a question. Register your business, list your real contact information on your website and on your domains. Otherwise... don't go into this business, cause my first thought is your gonna take my money and run, since your scared I will come to your house wanting my money back.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Randy if you send invoices to your clients, invoices must have printed your address I think so they should know where to find you when they need to :-)

Or in your country (US I suppose) you can invoice without any real address?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@prometeus said: Or in your country (US I suppose) you can invoice without any real address?

There is still some semblance of freedom here in the US, and a business does not need to be registered if run as a sole proprietor, you know, life, liberty and the pursuit of happyness.

• @miTgiB said: There is still some semblance of freedom here in the US, and a business does not need to be registered if run as a sole proprietor, you know, life, liberty and the pursuit of happyness.

We dont have to be registered to run as a sole proprietor in the UK, but we do have to provide our full name and address (And company name if you wish) on any stationery/documents (Such as invoices). Is it the same for you in the US?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@GetKVM-Ash said: Is it the same for you in the US?

Doubtful, the Supreme Court has ruled a number of times on the phrase "Life, liberty and the persuit of happyness" from our declaration of Independence as meaning the government shall not interfere with making your own way in life.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: There is still some semblance of freedom here in the US, and a business does not need to be registered if run as a sole proprietor, you know, life, liberty and the pursuit of happyness.

Unless he wants to run the business exactly as "Randy Jackson" (random lastname) it sure does have to be registered, in the form of a DBA, which usually lists contact info and is public info. Assumed Name Certificate form, Texas: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/forms/503_boc.pdf

• RandyRandy Member
    edited June 2012

okay guys. i will put my private addres. you guys are right. if i am doing a business then i should show my public address. thank you all for your comments

• RandyRandy Member

i sm sorry for my sillyness

• pcanpcan Member

@Randy: ultimately, it is one of your business choices. When you hide your contact informations you lose business customers, because they need a valid invoice for tax purposes. And some people don't like anonymously provided services. When I shop for a VPS, I always check contact informations. You mentioned the use of rented addresses. This is a worn out trick in the Internet era: simply copy&paste the street address on Google and everything will be revealed.

@prometeus: A fiscally valid invoice complete with real street address and tax amount (when relevant) is not so common here. A well-known budget UK provider does not put any address on the invoice and also does not add/specify the VAT amount for UE clients. I wonder how they manage the VAT charges. On another USA provider invoice, i read the name of the town only: no street address and no company registration informations.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: a business does not need to be registered if run as a sole proprietor

In at least two states I know of, and I think all, if you are using another name in your business, you have to register a DBA (Doing Business As, or sometimes called ABN - Assumed Business Name).

If your name is Sam Smoot and you want to call your business Sam Smoot Co., that's fine. If you want to call your business Smoothost or WowieZowieHosting, then you need to file a DBA.

A DBA isn't a "registration"...but there's a fee and it has to be renewed, so...same thing.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@DimeCadmium said: Unless he wants to run the business exactly as "Randy Jackson"

That is exactly what sole proprietor means, the rest of your post is wasted space, please insert cookie!

@raindog308 said: In at least two states I know of, and I think all, if you are using another name in your business, you have to register a DBA

Technically known as a fictitious name as well. Lots of state/local governments try to force compliance with many laws that have been already struck down by the Supreme Court, but that doesn't stop them from trying.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I've had my name and details on all my domains since forever, and despite sparking quite some controversy (and hate) with some things, the worst thing I've encountered so far is a bunch of text-to-speech prank calls in my voicemail.

• RandyRandy Member

well at least its not scream:-P

• RandyRandy Member
    edited June 2012

i wonder if this thread can be closed as dissisions has been madeO:-)

thanks all

• RandyRandy Member

i have just put my Whois public its feels great :P

This discussion has been closed.