Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small OpenVZ/KVM to run virtualmin on?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small OpenVZ/KVM to run virtualmin on?

krs360krs360 Member
edited June 2014 in General

Simply for a very small mail server, prob less than a few emails each day and to run up to, two websites from.

Budget not too much of an issue but as it's for personal use only I'm keen to keep costs down.

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Location?

• Well if this is for websites, would Mandrill suit your needs?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Perhaps a shared hosting account would be better?

you could even use freecpanelsharedhosting.com for that.

• krs360krs360 Member

@matthewvz East coast US or Europe?

@AnthonySmith - True, I do like to setup my own stuff too. Had sharedhosting with BlueVM and also more recently Craftingservers, neither of which worked out if I'm honest.

• cassacassa Member

Why don't use iRedmail or postfixadmin?

• krs360krs360 Member

@cassa - iRedmail looks good, still need a VPS to run it from though.

• soulchiefsoulchief Member
    edited June 2014

When I created my mail server I was looking at iRedMail but it didn't work out for me because the free version does not have the ability to create aliases. Ended up getting a 512MB VPS (ramnode) and using VirtualMin. It uses about 40% of the memory (clamav, spamassassin).

• @krs360 said:
    matthewvz East coast US or Europe?

AnthonySmith - True, I do like to setup my own stuff too. Had sharedhosting with BlueVM and also more recently Craftingservers, neither of which worked out if I'm honest.

Don't compare Anthony his services to Craftingservers or BlueVM. Anthony his services are so much better.

• BuyVM's BuyShared hosting (Google it, you can find listings on WHT - site isn't done yet). Starts at $5/yr for shared plan w/ dedicated IP (which is the main problem with mailing from shared hosts).

Or MXRoute.com for a free hosted email solution.

• What about a small dedicated server - Delimiter has Atom, 2GB RAM, 100GB disk - $5/month (paid annually) or $10/month (paid monthly). See here

These boxes you can get online in hours

• @mikeyur said:
    BuyVM's BuyShared hosting (Google it, you can find listings on WHT - site isn't done yet). Starts at $5/yr for shared plan w/ dedicated IP (which is the main problem with mailing from shared hosts).

Or MXRoute.com for a free hosted email solution.

MXroute.com is no longer free. It's a whopping $1/yr which is just about as close to free that you can get. The free accounts must have caused too many issues.

• BradBrad Member

If I remember correctly, MXRoute is run by @Jar ?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Brad said: If I remember correctly, MXRoute is run by @Jar ?

yeah http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/19474/mxroute-e-mail-hosting-10-off

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@cleonard said:
    MXroute.com is no longer free. It's a whopping $1/yr which is just about as close to free that you can get. The free accounts must have caused too many issues.

Garbage collection :)

Gives me a reason to eventually delete abandoned accounts without having to monitor them.