Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R1soft/Idera in vpsdime or backupsy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

R1soft/Idera in vpsdime or backupsy?

Hi

I am interested mount server with R1Soft to backup my cpanel servers.

I wonder if someone has a vps with r1soft/idera in Vpsdime or Backupsy. I ask because I dont know the use of resources (ram / cpu) of this software.

In Vpsdime, I worry that:

Your VPS Should not have a load of 4 for more than one hour, or get your VPS will Restarted.
Your VPS Should not have a load of 2 for more than two hours, or your VPS will get Restarted.

In backupsy, I worry that 512MB of RAM is not sufficient

recommendations?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Idera CDP works with block devices, therefore OVZ and even Xen without the mount ISO option will not work. It will work for sure with KVM as long as you can mount their ISO to do bare metal restore. You may wish to look at other options, cPanel has great backup options and any backupsy or ovz should be fine with that.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

I've installed the Idera backup manager on a Backupsy 500GB in NYC.

The server with no backups running is using 400MB RAM and idles at 1-5% CPU.

I've now added and successfully deployed the agent to a Windows Server, this again uses more RAM and CPU is again 1-5%.

Running a backup gives completely different results.

The RAM usage is still the same but CPU increases a lot. The server is backing up 13.5GB and the CPU is running at 9-27%.

The software certainly does work on a Backupsy VPS quite well although it eats your RAM and the panel can be a little slow because of this.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

Load average is still less than 1 - Load average: 0.39 0.33 0.38

• @rmlhhd you don't want to mask your IPs?

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@DalComp said:
    rmlhhd you don't want to mask your IPs?

Not really, its only a backup server. Its a test VPS anyway I don't use it for production.

• oceanocean Member

@Maounique said:
    Idera CDP works with block devices, therefore OVZ and even Xen without the mount ISO option will not work. It will work for sure with KVM as long as you can mount their ISO to do bare metal restore. You may wish to look at other options, cPanel has great backup options and any backupsy or ovz should be fine with that.

R1soft works fine in xen, also support bare metal restore, check the wiki.
    Rsetore in xen hvm ,after that change it to xen pv

• You can run the backup server on VPSDime or Backupsy. You need to ask for 1GB memory at Backupsy if you are going to backup more than one servers.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@serverian said:
    You can run the backup server on VPSDime or Backupsy. You need to ask for 1GB memory at Backupsy if you are going to backup more than one servers.

Will this require us to pay more?

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • rmlhhd said: Will this require us to pay more?

yeah, same question

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

So thats why the licenses are so cheap :D

• @rmlhhd said:
    Will this require us to pay more?

@dedicados said:
    yeah, same question

Yeah, $4/month per additional 512MB

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@ocean said:
    Rsetore in xen hvm ,after that change it to xen pv

OK, but that means you have your own server you back-up VPSes from, otherwise good luck finding a host to change back and forth for you, especially unmanaged at 7$ a month.

I did not say it is not working on xen-pv, just that you need to be able to do some tricks and most hosts here wont do that for you when a KVM is not much more expensive.

• @Maounique, you probably can run it on OpenVZ VPS, too when the host has the kernel module built.

• oceanocean Member

@Maounique said:
    I did not say it is not working on xen-pv, just that you need to be able to do some tricks and most hosts here wont do that for you when a KVM is not much more expensive.

Not much people will pay a r1soft license for a $7/mo vps ( Don't forget you need another vps/server to run the r1soft )

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@ocean said:

You could find someone who offers the Idera/R1Soft backup as a service.

https://servaman.com/backup.htm - Contact us if you need anything smaller we'll do you a deal.

• LeeLee Veteran

@ocean said:
    Not much people will pay a r1soft license for a $7/mo vps ( Don't forget you need another vps/server to run the r1soft )

Huh? If you are going to have offsite backups then clearly you need a vps or dedicated in order to store them, so it's not really about having another VPS.

• i have a backup server with VPSdime
    VDS500
    500GB Storage
    4 vCPU
    2GB Memory
    4TB Traffic Limit
    1Gbps Connection

for $7 a month

also for those that are not aware VPSdime and Backupsy are the same company. i had a 250GB backup server with backupsy that was also mirrowed to another 250GB server , but kept hitting 244GB, so i decided to go for their 500GB one from their other brand VPSdime

• backupsy + r1soft = https://r1softstorage.com/

there are many ways to pay @serverian ;)

Thanked by 2Zen William
  • @shileno said:
    Hi

I am interested mount server with R1Soft to backup my cpanel servers.

I wonder if someone has a vps with r1soft/idera in Vpsdime or Backupsy. I ask because I dont know the use of resources (ram / cpu) of this software.

In Vpsdime, I worry that:

Your VPS Should not have a load of 4 for more than one hour, or get your VPS will Restarted.
    Your VPS Should not have a load of 2 for more than two hours, or your VPS will get Restarted.

In backupsy, I worry that 512MB of RAM is not sufficient

recommendations?

If you are prepared to do a bit of work yourself, take a look at Bacula or Amanda. Bacula is a bit of a hassle to configure, but if you want, you can temporarily install webmin, and use the Bacula webmin module to configure Bacula.

Remember to IP-Restrict Webmin or remove it after you are done configuring as Webmin is a security hole (I have mine firewalled so that it is only available via VPN)

• That site gives:

Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

@rmlhhd said:
    https://servaman.com/backup.htm - Contact us if you need anything smaller we'll do you a deal.

• @k0nsl said:
    That site gives:

Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Servaman no longer exists although I can still offer you a deal. PM me.