Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Vultur
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thinking of Vultur

hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Sorry, me again!
Am thinking of getting the $40 package from them. I am going too be hosting Minecraft and other game servers.
Does anyone have any experience with them? Any tips, tricks or warnings? Will be using Windows Server 2012.

Thanks
Harry

Comments

• blackblack Member

Vultr is pretty good. Tips? Well, don't use windows server 2012 to host a minecraft server :P

• cassacassa Member

Hi,

For gameservers, you can better choose a dedicated server. Also, you'll be better of with Linux

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I know about the need for dedicated servers but I need to keep it in budget. I also need windows as some of the other games I will be running will only run on windows.

• You shouldn't use Windows to run a game server. Linux!

• Have you looked at any of the VPS's from NFO? https://www.nfoservers.com/

They use XEN HVM, windows is free on it if you must absolutely use it.

• BradBrad Member

If you don't mind Kimsufi, they got servers under $40.

@catalystium said:
    Have you looked at any of the VPS's from NFO? https://www.nfoservers.com/

They use XEN HVM, windows is free on it if you must absolutely use it.

Vultur can get the server closer to my end users.

@Brad said:
    If you don't mind Kimsufi, they got servers under $40.

I know I mentioned this in my other thread, but could I run windows server on a Ks4 server? (Using proxmox as an example)?

• n0myn0my Member

hawc said: I know I mentioned this in my other thread, but could I run windows server on a Ks4 server? (Using proxmox as an example)?

You can try this: https://joodle.nl/kimsufi/

• @hawc said:
    I know about the need for dedicated servers but I need to keep it in budget. I also need windows as some of the other games I will be running will only run on windows.

Get a linux server and use wine? Has always worked for me.

• PwnerPwner Member

@aldothetroll said:
    Get a linux server and use wine? Has always worked for me.

WINE can become very CPU intensive, not to mention that for many Windows-based programs, it requires additional packages to be able to run the program correctly. I'm facing several issues while trying to emulate a server for a specific game (Pokemon 3D), no matter what required packages I install, WINE is unable to run the server.

• DH22DH22 Member

I am using NFO for a Windows game server, best I have found.

What do people think of Kimsurfi? What is the CPU like?