Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dense E5 node or plain E3 node, as a client?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dense E5 node or plain E3 node, as a client?

DylanDylan Member
edited June 2014 in Help

As a customer, would you rather have a VPS (let's say 2GB of RAM) on an extremely powerful but dense node (dual E5-2690 v2, 384GB RAM) or a much less powerful but also much less dense (E3-1230 v2, 32GB RAM) node -- assuming neither are oversold on RAM -- and why?

This isn't market research; I'm trying to make this decision myself and though I have my own first thoughts I'm curious what others would do.

Comments

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited June 2014

If not oversold -> E3.

16 VPS vs 192. Two E5 are not 12 times faster than a E3

• PwnerPwner Member

I'll always prefer a less dense node (regardless of the hardware) because I know that the resources allocated for me are guaranteed.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

said: assuming neither are oversold on RAM

Not realistic, that would mean 100s of free GB on the E5.

That said, the E3 would perform better than the described E5, so that's it.

• DylanDylan Member

That was my initial conclusion too. Assuming everyone on the node plays nice, the E3, with slightly faster individual threads and a 2:1 container to thread ratio, seems like a better option than the 4.8:1 E5.

On the other hand, it'd take just a few CPU abusers to bog down an 8 thread E3 while it'd take a lot of people to noticeably affect a 40 thread E5, so maybe it's not that simple.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The one with 99% uptime. Let's face it if I need to slam the CPU I get a dedi.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well I would rather have 8x E2690v2 cores than 2 or 4 E3 cores, the E5 node if far less likely to run in to I/O wait issues with 40 threads vs the 8 of the E3 even with 4 x guest servers on it.

I would pick the E5 node as a client.

The exception would be if I was running something that was not capable of using more than 1 thread.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited June 2014

@Jar said:
    The one with 99% uptime. Let's face it if I need to slam the CPU I get a dedi.

If only it were so easy, but I think uptime should be about the same since this is within the same provider (Wable). I'm planning to use just one big container but in the meantime have ended up with one on a 1230, one on a 2620, and one on a 2690.

I know none of the choices are bad by any means but you know, since I have the option I might as well make the best choice possible.

• Depends a lot on HDD speed, IMHO.

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited June 2014

If i were you, i would go with dual E5-2690 v2, 384GB RAM and provide offload apps in memory, like MySQL (just like VPSDime did), PostgreSQL; because you'll probably have much spare memory, but you can use it.

Bigger servers are much better for Virtualization, because there are less chance to have 'Stolen' CPU resources.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi