Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't reach my vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can't reach my vps

Hi everyone. Im having an odd problem that i have never come across before but im a noob so maybe that explains it.
My problem at the moment is that i cannot reach it. I cannot access my websites, cannot login through my shell. But however, i can login to my vePortal management system of my vps. I can reboot the vps, see what processes are running, and in there everything seems normal. Im starting to think that my only solution is to reinstall the OS but i would like to be able to reach my backups onthe server, but i cannot get them because i cannot login.. anyone came across this before?
Much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Does this vePortal thing provide console access?

• yeah it does. but half the time does not show me any output. what command do you recommend me to use?
    it is a centos 6.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

ifconfig

• NekkiNekki Veteran

That would depend on what happens why you try to log in. Post the output you receive after attempting to login.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

vePortal, mmm. Is this BurstNET?

• login in? my veportal interface is fine. Vps shell gives me a connection timed out and accessing website gives a server not found.

• Sounds like this is a VolumeDrive VPS. Did you try rebooting it?

• hahah i wondered how easily you found that! yes it is a VD vps XD. I did try to reboot it several times... no luck...

• ok, so i have an update on this issue. It turns out that yum updated the vps to centos 6.5 which it turns out this centos version is not compatible with openvz as it breaks internal networking for the container. That is what i found so far.... any solutions? or im screwed basically?

• anyone?

• meatonmeaton Member
    edited June 2014

@lossehelin login and from the host machine console download this RPM:

# wget http://perfectping.com/dl/iproute-2.6.32-23.el6.x86_64.rpm

Copy the file you downloaded inside the container:

# cp /root/iproute-2.6.32-23.el6.x86_64.rpm /vz/private/CTID/root/

Console into the VPS and remove the current iproute package, and replace with one you downloaded earlier:

# vzctl enter CTID

# rpm -e iproute-2.6.32-31.el6.x86_64 --nodeps

# rpm -ivh /root/iproute-2.6.32-23.el6.x86_64.rpm

Restart the network service

service network restart

• meatonmeaton Member
    edited June 2014

Alternatively, just replacing your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth file on the VPS may work as well:

# wget http://perfectping.com/dl/ifup-eth

# mv -f ifup-eth /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth

# chmod 755 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth

# chattr +i /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth

# service network restart

• thank you for the reply. As i cant connect through ssh my only choice is using the console option on the vps panel which does not give me any output other than:

Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ] Bringing up loopback interface: Failed to bring up lo. [FAILED] Bringing up interface venet0: Failed to bring

Still waiting for a VD solution, but i think i might just have lost this battle.

• @lossehelin Do you have a ticket number we can update?

• ticket number is 447969 but i have had a couple of exchanges with dominik there.