Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD vs HDD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD vs HDD

Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
edited June 2012 in General

I am currently debating whether to switch over my nodes to SSD storage vs the HDD's that I have now. I would like to keep my plans about the same prices as well. How much SSD storage would you expect for $6 and would this increase in speed outweigh the reduction in storage. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• jhjh Member

At $6 I wouldn't expect SSD full stop, but it would be nice to see some more SSD providers, especially in Europe.

Trouble with SSDs though I think is you'll have to upgrade the kit fairly frequently to stay ahead of the game.

• nabonabo Member

@jtodd said: At $6 I wouldn't expect SSD full stop

Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't expect SSD in the LEB-range at all.

• Depends if you offer raid or not (minivps vs vpsdeploy)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@nabo the unexpected is always fun ;)

@tsanten was thinking about 6 of them in raid on a larger node, and maybe 4 on a smaller one.

• What ssd to use ?

@tsanten haven't decided yet, still deciding whether to do SSD yet. Possibly an intel or Samsung model, I'll have to do more research

• I heard Intel ones are terrible.

@Daniel Idk I heard good things of them

• FreekFreek Member

I have 3 Crucial m4 SSDs and I'm very satisfied. Very good performance/reliability ratio and the price is not bad either!

@Freek what's their speeds?

• @Freek said: I have 3 Crucial m4 SSDs and I'm very satisfied. Very good performance/reliability ratio and the price is not bad either!

I have a Crucial M4 in my laptop (I think my dad has a few in his computer too), and never ever had an issue with them. 50% full and still acts the same on the day I got it.

• jhjh Member

In a server you really should be using something by Micron or STEC, which is what will price the VPSs out of the low end market.

• I would recommend the Samsung 830 series or Crucial M4 series, you can pick up a 120 gig one for $100 these days.

• I got myself a 830 that is little better than m4
    I see now is prefered mostly 830

• I want to know from the providers who have ssd on their nodes if happens 2 ssd from raid to die closely one by other

• beardbeard Member

I've seen SSD offered as low as 2gb of disk space and 5-10gb is the max to keep it within pricing range

• marrcomarrco Member

I have one of the special SSD offer from Prometeus too. Terrific offer and SSD performance is excellent. Those are not low end vps, but a solid product sold at very low price. From a well known company that is in business since 1997.

Thanked by 1Victor
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@marrco said: From a well known company that is in business since 1997.

what do you mean by known company since 1997?

• marrcomarrco Member

@jcaleb i mean that Prometeus is in business since 1997, and they are a real, registered company, owning a lot of hardware and with an impressive infrastructure: http://www.prometeus.net/sito/our_infrastructure

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@marrco but they just claim it in their website, how can you be sure? don't get me wrong, i think they are great. im just interested if you have other source of info.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb
    So i need to post some photo of the racks and me showing some big fish in front (this would be funny ) bringing a small swordfish inside the datacenter will be a little difficult but i would try :-)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@prometeus not really. i dont know what im thinking. haha.

edit:
    im just curious that he mentioned with certainty. at least thats how i read it. i mean its not about the company, its about you read something on a website and then say it with certainty and believe in it. im bad in translating my thoughts into english.

@jcaleb said: i dont know what im thinking. haha.

you know, some trust between clients and the provider is necessary when between you and me there are thousands of kilometers :-)

• @prometeus said: you know, some trust between clients and the provider is necessary when between you and me there are thousands of kilometers :-)

there's ~50 miles between my house and the house of one of the hosts I use.

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited June 2012

@jcaleb there are some really important Italian business powered by Prometeus. Trust me on that, or do your own research, it's not difficult, they also have their own AS, are a lir, and it-mix.net member. They just bought quite a lot of new hardware and i'm quite sure about their location, I also posted a few tests here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/51056#Comment_51056

I do think their offers are really impressive, and usually last just a few days/weeks.
    Like last year introductory prices for KuJoe's SD. I was among the lucky/smart guys buying those, and now i enjoy those VPS at a cheaper price than new customers. I do think Prometus is a safe bet, but if you prefer to buy from a smaller provider using cheap hardware just because you never heard about Prometeus in the leb market, i think you're loosing a safe bet. Do your own research and you'll agree that this provider will most likely be here next year.

... did i mention there are not not many miles between my house and where they host their racks?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@prometeus well, i trust you. specially when i got one of the gift vps ;-)

@marrco no man. i just want to hear more details. im not complaining or something.

@dmmcintyre3 said: there's ~50 miles between my house and the house of one of the hosts I use.

My comment was for jcaleb which if I recall well is from philippine...
    Between you and me there are a couple of hours of flyght if you are from UK....

@jcaleb said: i just want to hear more details

Ask, if I can I'll reply :-)

• We have been using the new intel 520's seem very reliable so far. Currently only in use for our CDN services though. Couldnt roll these out on LEB products though