Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding: LowEndTalk Signature Rules
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Regarding: LowEndTalk Signature Rules

GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
edited June 2014 in General

The rules are currently stated as:

Signatures

Signatures may contain only text, with a maximum of two lines, and hyperlinks, with a maximum of three in total. The only HTML you are allowed to use it to make text bold, italic, underlined, to strike something through, or to add a hyperlink. Any other HTML, CSS, images, or other media are not allowed. This includes giving color to text or making it stand out more than normal content.

Having your complete signature underlined, bold, italic, or a combination of those is an example of having a signature 'stand our more than normal content'.

That being said, we have recently seen a number of users add various codes to their signatures which have caused interesting side-effects. [ Frankly, I think there's nothing wrong with it showing who I work for somewhere next to my name, but I understand the signature system is not meant for this! ] I understand that this is a slightly separate issue which has already been dealt with through the new Member no signature system.

All that being said, is the current Signature rule "Don't be an idiot"? I ask, as I often see signature that stand out in a good way. Examples of such signatures are those that contain the accented colors that make up a brand, or ones that contain aligned text [ such as my own. ] which are technically against the rules as per the current regulation.

There are also other examples of signatures that span between four and five lines, although they may only be two lines of actual text; and some signatures that contain more than three links, but again; all the examples I can find of these are tasteful and on topic.

Are these allowed as long as they fit within the "Don't be an idiot" and are tasteful and on topic? Or should I (and a few hundred other members) change our signatures to not include the alignment as it is now, as that is technically against the current signature rules as Any other HTML, CSS, images, or other media are not allowed.

Below are included a few examples of signature layouts that I have seen around here, that are all infringing the current rules as they stand; but are tasteful in my opinion.

LeftCenterRight

Something - Uptime Monitoring
Something ElseSomething Else

SomethingI work for Example

Uptime Monitoring - Domains - Another Example - Read The LowEndTalk Rules

So LowEndTalk, what are your thoughts on the matter? I don't personally believe that signatures should pop out more than regular content; I think that part of the rule is very important. That being said, I don't see any issue with clean alignment like seen in a few of the above examples, and in my own signature [ even if I did have to use a table to accomplish it without using floats or something ugly. ]

What are your thoughts on the current signature rule?
  1. What are your thoughts on the current signature rule?43 votes
    1. It's fine, don't change it.
      51.16%
    2. It should be updated (please explain how)
      16.28%
    3. I have no opinion on this matter.
      32.56%

Comments

• wychwych Member

I got mine revoked for using HTML markup to do the left, centre & right in divs, however you did them in tables above.

• @wych said:
    I got mine revoked for using HTML markup to do the left, centre & right in divs, however you did them in tables above.

I'm sure you did something more than just alignment, as myself and a lot of others around here have alignment-only markup in their signatures and haven't had a problem yet. But again, clarification on just that is why I made this thread.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Can you include 'ban signatures altogether' as an option please.

Thanked by 1badpatrick
  • @Nekki said:

Sadly no, the Poll plugin being used here disallows the modification of existing questions, I could only add a completely new question.

• What happen if some one didn't follow the rule?

• @cppgohan said:
    What happen if some one didn't follow the rule?

That's the point of this thread, the clarification of the rule itself.

• SpiritSpirit Member

cppgohan said: What happen if some one didn't follow the rule?

In most cases is signature just shortened, edited to something more reasonable.

• @Spirit, @Nekki

So, is the current quo "Don't be an idiot" as per what markup can and can't be used?

• IMHO, two lines limit is fine, no imgs if fine, but it will be cool if I can use some color(3 color max, etc), or more link. We can consider set a html code maxlength.

• SpiritSpirit Member

GoodHosting said: So, is the current quo "Don't be an idiot"

Something like that. Be reasonable and this is it. If someone can't, forum staff will help him.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I only browse this site using mobile view so I can't see the signatures (or ads).

I don't care about the ones who states that the post is their view and not the company they work for.
    The posts reflects who they are as a person. The same person who works for that company.

• wychwych Member

@GoodHosting said:
    I'm sure you did something more than just alignment, as myself and a lot of others around here have alignment-only markup in their signatures and haven't had a problem yet. But again, clarification on just that is why I made this thread.

• @wych said:

Well, okay. I can see why it may have been removed if you were using divs. I was using divs only for a minute or so before I saw how badly it destroyed posts [ and the quote line, tags, etc. ] It's best to check on a local Vanilla install, or very quickly remove the changes after seeing how they affect things.

• @Nekki said:

i begining to think there is something with Nekki banning people here

• said: Frankly, I think there's nothing wrong with it showing who I work for somewhere next to my name, but I understand the signature system is not meant for this!

That's perfectly fine. Unless you turn it into a carnival, of course.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@enitan092 said:
    i begining to think there is something with Nekki banning people here

The best way to deal with a problem is to ban it.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited June 2014

-moved further down thread-

• GoodHosting said: Director at Albino Geek Services Ltd.

ok

• @Nekki said:
    The best way to deal with a problem is to ban it.

best way i guess

if you ever have to ban me...
    make it a good good reason

edited June 2014

@GIANT_CRAB said:
    ok

I'm playing around with it in the safety of a single post, instead of in my actual signature [ where it would screw up multiple threads if I did something wrong, haha. ] A much smaller testing garden to make sure nothing too bad happens.

Now that I try though; there's not really any way to make it look right / not detract from the content.

Does it look better in the top right as seen in the post now?

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

What the actual ... wasn't @Florris/BeastVM banned/MemberNoSigged for text in a similar location?

• @wych said:
    What the actual ... wasn't Florris/BeastVM banned/MemberNoSigged for text in a similar location?

I was in that thread, people were putting flashy as hell text [ brightly coloured, with links, bold, etcetera ] and using a lot of HTML that ran into other controls. The most important difference between my example and the ones I saw previously, is that since mine is explicitly positioned from the right; it doesn't run over the administrative controls and other post tools, it's also explicitly sized to prevent it writing over the name / group / top half of the avatar.

Even still, it's far too flashy now that I try it; and until I find a means that would make it look in place and not obstruct the content, I won't be using it outside of that single test post.

While we are on the topic: why not end your posts with all the bullshit you want.
    By keeping it out of the signature field you are technically not breaking the signature rule. But you are bending it pretty far and it may eventually break.

edited June 2014

@MikHo said:
    While we are on the topic: why not end your posts with all the bullshit you want.
    By keeping it out of the signature field you are technically not breaking the signature rule. But you are bending it pretty far and it may eventually break.

Well, the beauty of the Signature feature is that it:

• Doesn't show up on mobile devices [ conserves bandwidth and saves layout ]
    • You can disable seeing anyone's signature in your profile settings

I think that second bit is pretty important really.

Hmm... is that still too out of place?

edited June 2014

@GoodHosting said:

Director of Albino Geek Services Ltd.

Yes. And it breaks the quoting even more.

edited June 2014

@MikHo said:
    Yes. And it breaks the quoting even more.

Director of Albino Geek Services Ltd.

Well, the only reason it broke quoting is that I put it at the end of my post. I've noticed that the quoting module has an issue if the last thing is a quote, or a block of HTML, etcetera. You should be able to quote this post fine.

It's also important to note that if it's actually in a signature, it won't be part of the quote. So the issue you showed me just now, won't actually be an issue.

• what is the resolution here

@GoodHosting
    Guess you missed my point. :)

If you add your signature to the post it doesn't (technically) need to follow the signature rules since it's not (technically) a part of the signature.

AND, it will be visible to even mobile users.
    Mao did this on the "other" board when his signature was removed.

• vedranvedran Veteran

Crap, I just realized my signature is against the rules

• @vedran said:
    Crap, I just realized my signature is against the rules

:P This thread had purpose.

Thanked by 1vedran