Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's interested in an E3-1276 v3?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who's interested in an E3-1276 v3?

GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
edited June 2014 in General

So,

I've been looking at Intel's recent processor releases, and can't find much of a difference between them. Below is a comparison of the various features and support each processor has. It is worth noting that they are all priced between $330 and $350 US dollars each, so the difference is not in price.

E3-1270 v3 E3-1271 v3 E3-1275 v3 E3-1276 v3
Launch Q2 2013 Q2 2014 Q2 2013 Q2 2014
Cores 4 4 4 4
Threads 8 8 8 8
Clock 3.50 GHz 3.60 GHz 3.50 GHz 3.60 GHz
Turbo 3.90 GHz 4.0 GHz 3.90 GHz 4.0 GHz

Last Instruction
Set Supported

SSE 4.2
AVX 2.0
SSE 4.2
AVX 2.0
SSE 4.2
AVX 2.0
SSE 4.2
AVX 2.0
Memory Support 32 GB 1333/1600 32 GB 1333/1600 32 GB 1333/1600 32 GB 1333/1600
Graphics NONE NONE P4600 / 350 Mhz
1.25 GHz / QuickSync
FDI / ClearHD / InTru 3D
P4600 / 350 Mhz
1.25 GHz / QuickSync
ClearHD / InTru 3D
Technologies Boost 2.0 / HT
vPro / VT-d / VT-x
VT-x EPT / TSX-Ni
AES-New / Trusted Exec
Boost 2.0 / HT
vPro / VT-d / VT-x
VT-x EPT / TSX-Ni
AES-New / Trusted Exec
Boost 2.0 / HT
vPro / VT-d / VT-x
VT-x EPT / TSX-Ni
AES-New / Trusted Exec
Boost 2.0 / HT
vPro / VT-d / VT-x
VT-x EPT / TSX-Ni
AES-New / Trusted Exec
Cache 8 MB 8 MB 8 MB 8 MB

My point in all this, is "What is even the difference?"

Comments

• "name changed"

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

yawn E3 ... Wake me up when they support more RAM.

• @Oliver said:

If you want more RAM, how about the E5-1650 v2 ? It's still uniprocessor.

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 v2
    (12M Cache, 3.50 GHz)

• @Oliver said:

+1

• Also wake me up when they release E3-2xxx. :)

Even if they just made the E3s support 64GB or 128GB RAM it would make them a lot more attractive to me.

• @forthcloud said:
    Also wake me up when they release E3-2xxx. :)

I'm not sure a DP FCLGA2011 is even possible to be quite frank. I'm not an engineer though, so don't take my word on it.

@Oliver said:

@eddynetweb said:
    +1

I do have to ask; as there's no reasonable means to get 32GB of RAM [ let alone more ] at the LowEndTalk budget of $49/mo , does it really matter how much the processor can support?

Of course outside of the LowEnd market it would make sense to matter.

@Oliver said:
    Even if they just made the E3s support 64GB or 128GB RAM it would make them a lot more attractive to me.

Again, due to the way memory channels in the processor work [ ie: the architecture of the processor itself ] I'm not entirely sure that's possible at all.

All things being said, if someone can find a DP FCLGA2011 processor, or an FCLGA2011 that supports Registered ECC 16GB Sticks [ as would be required for 64GB or more of RAM. ] then please tell me.

I am not talking about the LowEndTalk budget for dedicated servers. I am talking as a provider for whom deploying nodes with only 32GB of RAM is basically a waste of rackspace in most cases. ;)

• @Oliver said:
    I am not talking about the LowEndTalk budget for dedicated servers. I am talking as a provider for whom deploying nodes with only 32GB of RAM is basically a waste of rackspace in most cases. ;)

Ahh, we were going to deploy these things in a SuperMicro MicroCloud. 24 units in 12 sleds on a single 3U chassis. It's pretty dense on power and ethernet, needs a dedicated switch per enclosure.

Actually that would be a scenario where the E3s are still good, but I think there are some MicroCloud options with E5s as well though the initial outlay on those is quite a bit higher.

• @Oliver said:
    Actually that would be a scenario where the E3s are still good, but I think there are some MicroCloud options with E5s as well though the initial outlay on those is quite a bit higher.

There are no MicroCloud options with E5s in them, only the FatTwin or TuTwin2 boards; or the OfficeBlades, which have a maximal density of 20 Nodes per 7U [ much lower density than these MicroCloud boxes. ]

The initial cost is also far too high to even consider LowEndPricing.

• That's still 8 Nodes per 3U.

20 Nodes per 7U is still a higher density.

Or are those dual sleds like on my system?

Well yes it is 8 per 3U, but if you want each node to have more than 32GB of RAM then any of the E3 options aren't really useful. I was just linking to it cause there is a E5 based MicroCloud option and if you need lots of RAM over CPU speed then it's a good option. :-)

• @Oliver said:
    Well yes it is 8 per 3U, but if you want each node to have more than 32GB of RAM then any of the E3 options aren't really useful. I was just linking to it cause there is a E5 based MicroCloud option and if you need lots of RAM over CPU speed then it's a good option. :-)

Ahh, thanks for the link.

Personally, if I am going to build real systems [ and not just LowEndSystems ] I would go for their OfficeBlade solution; as it gives you some actual PCI slots for accessory components, such as RAID cards and the likes.

Some systems of interest to follow:

SBI-7127R-SH

SBI-7127R-S6

• @GoodHosting said:
    SBI-7127R-S6

Built in LSI 2208? Not to shabby. Might have to check these things out

• This is just how Intel's development cycle works. It's called a tick-tock cycle.

The difference between 1270 and 1275 is integrated graphics - that is what the "5" stands for on all E3 processors. The newer models, 1271 and 1276, have a 0.1GHz speed increase which is where the development cycle kicks in. You can read more about that on wikipedia. Intel has always been releasing new processors this way for the past 7 years.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • @fizzyjoe908 said:
    This is just how Intel's development cycle works. It's called a tick-tock cycle.

What gets me is that the 1276 is actually the worst processor, considering it's integrated graphics doesn't support FDI [ a bit of a step backwards, no? ]

• tehdantehdan Member

By my reading the 1276v3 has over 10% lower max tdp - not insignificant, and it looks like it's a replacement rather than slightly faster alternative?

• Honestly, I'd take the e3-1271v3, although who the hell needs high capacity graphics in a processor?

• @Rallias said:
    Honestly, I'd take the e3-1271v3, although who the hell needs high capacity graphics in a processor?

Chinese clients who run Firefox and VNC and who complain when their KDE Desktop is slow as shit... Might help SOME with that.

• tchentchen Member

I think the FDI thing is a typo. It's a P4600 part which supports FDI. BTW, the x6 is targeted as their workstation line and has a slightly better than P3000 embedded graphics found in the x5 in case you wondered why they bothered differentiating on such small CPU increments.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Oliver said: yawn E3 ... Wake me up when they support more RAM.

Don't hold your breath, Intel knows doing so would damage E5 sales.

• @tchen said:
    I think the FDI thing is a typo. It's a P4600 part which supports FDI. BTW, the x6 is targeted as their workstation line and has a slightly better than P3000 embedded graphics found in the x5 in case you wondered why they bothered differentiating on such small CPU increments.

Thanks for that information, wasn't sure what was going on when Intel's own ARK showed that there wasn't much of a difference. I guess they have a few things up there they should revise / check for errors.

• tchentchen Member

Oops, my mistake. The x5v3 is using a P4600 too. It looks like they reshuffled their lineup, dropping the x5 and splitting it between a x5L and x6.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Intel: hmmm why should we not put the same CPU's with different names on the market ? I guess there are enought dumb people would belive in that and buy the new one. Like iPhone, every year people comming into stores and buy the same shit agin just bit different. YAY capitalism.

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • @Infinity580 said:

Sometimes I swear that's how Intel does their "Tock" sometimes... When's my next die shrink coming?

• boerndboernd Member
    edited June 2014

The E3-1270 v3 for example costs exactly the same like the E3-1271 v3.
    So if you need a new CPU why not buying the "new" one.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@boernd because there is no difference? its like Eh my Car is green and uuuh this Car is Yellow i need to buy.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited June 2014

@Infinity580 You dont get it.
    I buy CPUs on a regular basis for servers.
    I usually buy the Xeon E3 1230v3, next time I will buy a E3 1231v3 instead.
    It won´t cost me more.