Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

backup question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

backup question

hi,

i have 60gb vps and around 41gb data there, i want to set offsite backup but i don't have enough space to generate backup locally first then upload it to offsite location?

what option do i have to set backup? rather than upgrading the vps?

r1soft is not supported since i have Virtuozzo

Comments

• Rsync it to the other vps

rsync -arvpz --progress --numeric-ids --exclude dev --exclude proc --exclude tmp / [email protected]:/backup/

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

You can rsync the data offsite and compress it on your backup VPS.

• i have cpanel in the vps, the provider says rsync is no longer supported by cpanel?

• @Chalipa said:

You have numerous options, one of the easiest being that you mount the remote storage as a local partition, [ such as using /etc/exports or netfs, which requires very little work to set up; and supports any file system or virtualization ] and then you can simply send your backup directly there; tar -cjbf /mnt/remote/backup.lz /stuff/to/backup

There are numerous other options, but I have found this quick and dirty way to be one of the simplest and most flexible solutions.

• I doubt rsync is 'no longer supported by cpanel'. Irrespective its part of most Linux distros so just add it and rsync.

• the current provider says rsync is not supported by cpanel/whm

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited June 2014

tar cpf - /stuff/to/backup | gzip -9c | ssh other.side "dd of=data.tar.gz"

I like to add the --numeric-owner switch to tar.

• I use BitTorrent sync. It just so easy to use :)

• @Chalipa said:
    the current provider says rsync is not supported by cpanel/whm

Wut? That makes no sense. Are you trying to do the backup from cpanel itself or thru ssh?

• cpanel backup, as i don't have much knowledge of working via ssh.

• so i'm basically looking for my vps backup through whm

• Duplicity? Does not require an Rsync server, allows compression, uses incremental backups, supports encryption, backups permissions, and has dozens of backends (FTP, SCP, AWS S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.).

• wychwych Member

Get a 2nd VPS - A Backupsy or similar storage VPS would be ideal.

You can then set cpanel to use a number of different methods to backup...

Select a destination type. You may select from FTP, Additional Local Directory, SFTP, WebDAV, or Custom destination types.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/BackupConfiguration

• FollyFolly Member
    edited June 2014

Rsync is the good option. I doubt it is working or not.